Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Question about brown rice? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7917)

bignbuff 11-15-2011 09:35 AM

Question about brown rice?

I've started to cut out white rice, and now eat brown rice.

I've heard that eating brown rice is better. Can any of you confirm that in your experience that it is better? Any nutrition tips or cooking styles you suggest for brown rice?

Thanks

Chillen 11-15-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bignbuff (Post 189157)
I've started to cut out white rice, and now eat brown rice.

I've heard that eating brown rice is better. Can any of you confirm that in your experience that it is better? Any nutrition tips or cooking styles you suggest for brown rice?

Thanks

The difference between basic/traditional White and brown rice is what layer is removed: If the husk is removed, the result is brown rice. If the bran layer underneath is removed, the result is white rice. Therefore, if you are eating white rice, you getting less bran/fiber along with the food, and this is primarily the only major difference. Other than this, the calories/macros are virtually identical, and arguably in most cases (dependent upon the person) insulin response is the same.

BendtheBar 11-15-2011 09:47 AM

Brown rice is lower on the glycemic index, and studies have hinted that it's better at fending off things like type 2 diabetes.

Personally, I recommend quinoa over both of them. it is easier to cook, higher in protein, and is the only grain with a high amount of lysine. Because of this it can be considered a complete protein food.

5kgLifter 11-15-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 189164)
Brown rice is lower on the glycemic index, and studies have hinted that it's better at fending off things like type 2 diabetes.

Personally, I recommend quinoa over both of them. it is easier to cook, higher in protein, and is the only grain with a high amount of lysine. Because of this it can be considered a complete protein food.

Just a quick question; how do you find the quinoa in terms of fullness and energy?

Chillen 11-15-2011 12:11 PM

I love studies, I read them all the time, for various reasons. However, it will drive you to the nutty farm, if you not have a brain filter. For years, "this" (insert name) is bad, and then LATER......(insert name) it is good, etc, etc.

Now a study finds, that low-salt does not prevent heart disease:New Salt Study Suggests Low Salt Diet Does NOT Prevent Heart Disease: Gothamist

The key word here is Low-salt. Its not pointing to eating too much salt. The problem with this study is that its far too small, and not near long enough to be a real world sample.

tank 11-15-2011 12:18 PM

remember, too, brown rice and fried rice (brown looking rice) aren't the same. lol

i've had to argue that with a couple of "experts".

Kevsworld 11-16-2011 06:39 AM

As another poster mentioned, there's a difference in glycemic index. But I'm not sure it would make that much difference since you'd likely eat either one (brown or white) with some kind of meat and veggies. The most important thing is getting your overall caloric intake in line with your goals.

Rich Knapp 11-16-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 189164)
Brown rice is lower on the glycemic index.

EXACTALY

Same as the difference between white bread and true whole wheat bread.

Yes it also has more fiber and so many people forget or don't know in building muscle, fiber is just as important as good fats, carbs and protein.

vcjha 11-16-2011 05:28 PM

Great responses in this thread. Brown rice and white rice are nearly identical in my opinion, and honestly you can get fiber from other sources if you choose. I've yet to try quinoa as it is probably expensive but looks damn tasty.