Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
bulletproof
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

bulletproof is off to a bad start
Default Low Budget For Supplements. Please give me an Advice

Long story short:
I've been bodybuilding for more than 5-6 years, all natty. Recently, I've just started to train for MMA too, but due to the high fees at the current gym, I don't have anymore too much money for the supplements.
So, my point is that... if I have no more than $75-85 for supplements, what should I buy?
I mean... I would like a pre workout shake and maybe some aminoacids.
Any suggestions?
bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Protein powder, a quality multivitamin and fish oil.

If you have made good progress during these 5 years, you can also consider creatine and/or a good pre-workout formula. A BCAA product like Xtend is also good for recovery.

Again, all these hinge on progress. If you are eating properly and training hard, they are good choices.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

not being smart here , but if you are on a budget , can u buy your meat in bulk from a local butcher and freeze till you need to use it?

buying in bulk should get you a better purchase price per item and that way free up some cash....
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
not being smart here , but if you are on a budget , can u buy your meat in bulk from a local butcher and freeze till you need to use it?

buying in bulk should get you a better purchase price per item and that way free up some cash....
I do this. Whenever certain cuts of meat drop below a threshold price, I buy 100-150 pounds of it and freeze it. I save $100 on my last purchase of 15% fat ground beef doing this, and got 4 cases of whole chickens for a total of $35.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Multi-vitamin, fish oil, and creatine are all great as far as bang for your buck. I don't think protein powder is as important as people make it out to be, IF you are getting plenty of dietary protein.

There are other ways to get what you want cheaply. Bulk powders are great. You can get bulk BCAA powders, then mix them with some sort of flavoring like crystal light or maybe gatorade if you want some carbs to go with it.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Eggs, tuna, milk and cheese...
Old 11-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

Just food for thought... i quit taking ALL supplements. Period! And continued to make great gains... i recently started taking xtend during workouts and feel it really helps with recovery. Within the last two weeks, i've started taking a multi here and there along with fish oils...

My point is none are really necessary if you eat well, but in order of preference, mine are xtend, green tea (drink it all day), fish oil, and multi vitamin.

I know everybody says multis are a must, but honestly, i notice zero difference... but i fuligure it cant hurt...
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

KING OF ALL SUPPLEMENTS: Manipulation of Diet (macros, calories) + Manipulation of Exercise + Adjusting/Adapting to the response of Diet (macros, calories) and Exercise + Motivation to be Consistent in its Application.

If you have the above in proper perspective, then:

Whey Protein powder, Fish/Flax oil, Fiber, Multivitamin.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Supplements are not needed at all if your diet is on point.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Supplements are not needed at all if your diet is on point.
That's my point. Fish oil and multi, sure. The rest, meh...