Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
mab54
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine
Default Noob Supplement Questions

Just a few quick questions about supplements.

First off right now the only supps I take are fish oil, kroger brand multi, and some whey. I just wanted to know if there is anything that would help with strength, I have heard a lot about things like creatine, BCAAs, and HMB.

But I was just wondering if thing like that have any real effects and are worth the money.

I have read through a few threads on this site about creatine and BCAAs, and have seen a lot a mixed reviews mostly about how they effect bodybuilders. Even though looking better would be a plus my main concern right now is purely strength.

I have also been lurking on other sites and have read mixed review about both. Then on another site I heard great things about HMB, which I had never ever heard about till yesterday.

I am a complete noob when it comes to supps, and I know none of these will magically help me DL 1000 pounds. Also I compete in the USAPL and they have a lot of supps on the banned list that are ok in other feds (stim ect).

All responses are welcome!

Last edited by mab54; 10-31-2011 at 08:55 PM.
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

IMHO Protein, multi and fishoil are a great start in general. As far as strength goes, eat right, eat enough, sleep enough and lift heavy and you will get stronger.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Creatine is definitely worth trying, especially if you are training hard like you are. As far as a BCAA supplement, if you're going to try anything, I recommend something like Body Mortar or Xtend. They are the best for the $$$.

These supplements certainly aren't necessities, but sooner or later they are worth trying.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-31-2011 at 08:50 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
mab54
Max Brawn

mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
IMHO Protein, multi and fishoil are a great start in general. As far as strength goes, eat right, eat enough, sleep enough and lift heavy and you will get stronger.
Thanks for the response!

True that has worked pretty good so far by itself.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
mab54
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Creatine is definitely worth trying, especially if you are training hard like you are. As far as a BCAA supplement, if you're going to try anything, I recommend something like Body Mortar or Xtend. They are the best for the $$$.

These supplements certainly aren't necessities, but sooner or later they are worth trying.
I might try Creatine and see if that works, and if I notice anything I will try BCAA.

Also any chance you know anything about HMB? Heard a lot about on a strongman form, just curious.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
I might try Creatine and see if that works, and if I notice anything I will try BCAA.

Also any chance you know anything about HMB? Heard a lot about on a strongman form, just curious.
Don't waste your time with HMB. The studies show that only beginners respond to HMB, and even that is questionable. Things like HMB and Beta alanine may help a little, but it's just not worth the money and effort. Creatine is relatively cheap and backed up with years of experiences. Stick with that for now and see how you respond to it, then look into BCAA's.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:

Here is what I recommend for supps: Fish Oil, Creatine, Protein, multi, fiber, BCAA (if you fast for awhile thorughout the day), Beta alanine is a good supp if you recover hard. Supplements are exactly what the name implies, a supplement to your good diet.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
mab54
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Don't waste your time with HMB. The studies show that only beginners respond to HMB, and even that is questionable. Things like HMB and Beta alanine may help a little, but it's just not worth the money and effort. Creatine is relatively cheap and backed up with years of experiences. Stick with that for now and see how you respond to it, then look into BCAA's.
Thanks for clearing things up with HMB, I'm just going to try Creatine for now.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
mab54
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
Here is what I recommend for supps: Fish Oil, Creatine, Protein, multi, fiber, BCAA (if you fast for awhile thorughout the day), Beta alanine is a good supp if you recover hard. Supplements are exactly what the name implies, a supplement to your good diet.
I was also planning on adding a fiber supp to my diet since I switched to paleo and am not eating any grain.

Also what are some good brands when searching for creatine?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
I was also planning on adding a fiber supp to my diet since I switched to paleo and am not eating any grain.

Also what are some good brands when searching for creatine?
It depends on how much money you want to spend. Just plain bulk creatine mono will work. I like to use Con-Crete in my contest preps, but its significantly more expensive. If I where you, I would go the bulk route, see how it works for you, then make the decision on if you want to branch out from there. Stay away from brands with a crap load of sugar or dextrose in them. You will bloat like crazy.

Edit: without grains, it should be easier to get fiber into your diet. Eat apples, tons of fiber. Apples are one of the biggest staples of my current diet. I do supplement fiber when cutting as I need to keep things moving, if you catch my drift.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote