Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hot after eating (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7562)

ElementalVirago 10-10-2011 12:22 PM

Hot after eating

The past couple of weeks now I notice that I get super hot after I eat, almost like I would imagine hot flashes would feel. I don't sweat or anything, it's just like a fire got stoked in my veins. I'm not, by nature, a warm person. I'm the gal you see in the middle of summer wearing a long sleeved shirt so I don't catch a chill.

Also, and I don't know if it's related, but it seems like I am eating ALL THE TIME. :chow: I mean I am used to eating every few hours, 5-6 meals a day like a good girl, etc. but I lately I will eat a meal until I'm chock full, can't eat anymore, and as little as an hour later I am so hungry that I would knock over my own grandmother just to get to more food.

What gives? I'm assuming this is a good thing, but it doesn't seem like a good thing when you're trying to slim down, not bulk. I feel like if I even tried to eat less, I would turn into a raging madwoman.

Since I know you'll ask, the only thing I've changed in my workouts (besides actually working out consistently now that I've gotten over a small illness) is that I've been focusing more on compound lifts and less on working smaller muscle groups, e.g. not so much focusing a lot of effort working tris/bis/shoulders individually, replacing that with more squats, deads, pulls, etc.

BendtheBar 10-10-2011 12:30 PM

I get this quite frequently on Paleo, especially after I'm off or a bad boy and get back on.

Soldier 10-10-2011 12:36 PM

Well, compound lifts are really a lot more taxing on your whole system, so it makes sense that you're more hungry. The heat though. . .I have no earthly idea.

Rich Knapp 10-10-2011 12:49 PM

If you were on a low carb and now eat more, you will notice this heat due to with all the more food the metab it running on high to digest it. Once you system gets used to the extra again, it will go away.

I go threw this after every show returning to bulk. ;)

5kgLifter 10-10-2011 12:52 PM

Or, it could be perimenopause ;)

But, I hope not :march: (still got the joys to look forward to) :(

BendtheBar 10-10-2011 12:55 PM

My vote is that it's tied to insulin. Just a hunch.

ElementalVirago 10-10-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 179105)
Or, it could be perimenopause ;)

Actually thought of that. It's definitely a possibility. I'm not ruling it out one bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 179104)
If you were on a low carb and now eat more, you will notice this heat due to with all the more food the metab it running on high to digest it. Once you system gets used to the extra again, it will go away.

I go threw this after every show returning to bulk. ;)

I wasn't on a low-carb. I've been trying to follow a more Paleo-esque diet, but haven't been consistent with it. So to BtB's point, I DO experience more of this hunger shortly after a Paleo meal. I'm hoping my body is just burning it up fast because it's good, clean food.

ElementalVirago 10-10-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 179108)
My vote is that it's tied to insulin. Just a hunch.

Is that a good thing?

BendtheBar 10-10-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElementalVirago (Post 179158)
Is that a good thing?

It's generally not a bad thing.

If it's from a low carb approach...when you aren't constantly riding the insulin roller coaster you allow the body to pull out some of the stored energy from fat cells, and your body tends to flush out some of that extra water in the blood stream. Multiple mechanisms at work here, probably allowing the body to run a little more efficiently.

On the other hand, it could be FROM carb intake. Some folks are "fast oxidizers" and tend to get hot when they eat carbs,

Metabolic Typing: Slow-Oxidizers, Fast-Oxidizers

BigFiveFive 10-10-2011 02:52 PM

You been thinkin about me ;)