Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member
Default Eating for PR's

Though it will be weeks before my PR's are threatened, I am going to seek some advice now before the time comes on diet.
Right now my diet is:

Breakfast:
50g oatmeal
tea/coffee

Mid Morning:
130g tuna
brown bread roll and butter
cheese

I then make a shake with 3 scoops of ON whey protein, milk, some peanut butter, yoghurt and banana. I drink it in 2/3 different times of the day. Pre workout and post workout or else just during the day, usually after lunch.

4 eggs (2 yolks) and tomato chunks in omlette

dinner;
chicken/tuna/beef: 150g
rice/potatoes/pasta: 100g of rice and pasta. probably 300g of potato.

Before bed:
100g cottage cheese and remains of shake

The weekends will have alterations where I may have pancakes instead of oatmeal and occasional junk food like chocolate, pizza, doritos etc.

What alterations should I make as PR's approach? I know I need to eat more anyway!

Oh I also take 2grams of vitamin C and a multivitamin a day.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Typically before I go after a PR, the days leading up to it I will carb load. It varies week to week because Im a trainer and constantly busy. But in an ideal setting:

Day1-3
up my carb intake 75-100grams a day.

Day 4 (PR day)
morning
2 packets of oatmeal
toast (2 slice w/jam)
eggs 2
pan sausage 2

30mins before PR attempt another packet of oatmeal (dry w/bottle water)

This is what usually works for me in ideal settings. Hope this helps!
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

If I am going to have a real big, taxing session I like to take a day to eat everything under the sun, and then on second day take cut back but still eat above maintenance. Day 3 would be the training day.

I do this because I don't want to feel like a bloated pig by eating too big the day before a hard workout.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

If you are not sure how your body will react (personal experience, not whats on the web), I wouldn't change much when going for a training-PR. Possibly a little more sodium, but thats about it. More food or less food, more proteins, fats, or carbs can really change how you feel/perform mentally and physically and even if it may only take 1-5lbs off (or 10-20) a failed attempt is a failed attempt.

If your set on attempting a PR (and making it), don't change a thing. But if you want to find out how the changes effect you personally and are willing to risk a possible failed attempt, experiment - cut this, add that, or maintain.

I say this because only because eating big can leave me bloated for days. When I'm feeling bloated, I often don't perform well. On the other hand many other benefit from the bloat or an extra amount of calories/macros. Me personally, eating normal on the days leading up to the attempt and eating 1-2 light meals before the attempt works best for me.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Though it will be weeks before my PR's are threatened, I am going to seek some advice now before the time comes on diet.
Right now my diet is:

Breakfast:
50g oatmeal
tea/coffee

Mid Morning:
130g tuna
brown bread roll and butter
cheese

I then make a shake with 3 scoops of ON whey protein, milk, some peanut butter, yoghurt and banana. I drink it in 2/3 different times of the day. Pre workout and post workout or else just during the day, usually after lunch.

4 eggs (2 yolks) and tomato chunks in omlette

dinner;
chicken/tuna/beef: 150g
rice/potatoes/pasta: 100g of rice and pasta. probably 300g of potato.

Before bed:
100g cottage cheese and remains of shake

The weekends will have alterations where I may have pancakes instead of oatmeal and occasional junk food like chocolate, pizza, doritos etc.

What alterations should I make as PR's approach? I know I need to eat more anyway!

Oh I also take 2grams of vitamin C and a multivitamin a day.
I don't really have anything to contribute, but I was looking at your sample diet, and got to wondering...where's your protein at breakfast? I like the cottage cheese before bed. A little tip too. Try a spoonful of peanut butter mixed in with that. Awesome taste sensation.

Anyway, good luck to you!

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
where's your protein at breakfast?
It would be easy enough to get some protein if he takes the oatmeal with a good amount of milk. I do that occasionally, get in some protein, and the oatmeal with milk tastes better too (for me at least).
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #7
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Yeah I take oatmeal with milk and raisins. Can't eat a great deal in mornings because of my medical condition. I expel enormous amounts of mucus throughout the day but morning is worst. If I eat a big breakfast, I often get sick afterwards. I could try protein powder in the oats I guess but that's it. EVen eggs in the morning can cause me to react badly but they are good in the afternoon.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

How many calories and protein is all that?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
How many calories and protein is all that?
Trying to calculate (by rummaging through the kitchen for exact readings) and I think between 200-230g protein and 2300-2500 calories. Protein seems pretty good, not sure about the calories.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Protein levels are fine, once you're in PR territory I'd bump up the calories to 2800-3000 mainly from fat/carbs.

A good amount of fat is beneficial in the diet, so your body can maintain high levels of testosterone.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote