Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
wankerman
Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

wankerman is off to a bad start
Default How much protein do I need??

Here's the story. I hired a female trainer upon the recommendation or a friend. Sad to say but I really don't understand the eating end of things. She competes in figure and seems to know her stuff but she told me I never ever need more than 150 grams of protein each day. I would be considered a hardgainer and underweight and need to eat alot to gain weight. She also has me on alot of calories but I always feel full.

How much protein do I need and will it hurt anything to eat more than 150 grams per day or should I follow her advice? I don't know if I can handle eating all these carbs each day.
wankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Are you training to be in her field? Or build strength? Or something entirely different? What is your height and weight?
Many questions here. But the most important one is: what's your goal, and how does it fit in with her training program?

If she's advocating a high-carbohydrate diet... I'm apprehensive, but I need to know more information first: exactly how much and what kinds of carbs you're eating, and what kind of training you're doing of course...

Again, more info required here mate.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Well, that depends. I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as "too much protein" but the protein that does not become muscle will fill your toilet bowl. What's your bodyweight, and how much do you want to gain? Generally speaking, maintenence intake is about 12 calories per lb of bodyweight with about 1.2 g of protein per lb each day. Bulking on the other hand generally consist of eating 15-20 cals per lb with 1.5-2g of protein per lb. To bulk cleanly I personally say take whatever fat naturally accompanies your protein sources and minimize carbs.
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Here's the scoop (pun intended) on protein...

The [ususal] recommended amount of protein for strength athletes is roughly 1gr of protein for 1lb of lean muscle. So, a top level natural bodybuilder would require somewhere around 180 grams a day. So your level of 150gr is probably pretty close to what you need.

Protein is NOT a magical supplement. If you take more than the required amount, it doesn't turn into extra muscle growth, despite what the magazines tell you

Carbs are not the devil and won't magically make you gain fat just because you eat them. They are an easy way to increase calories, and when it comes to gaining (or reducing) size, calories are KING!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Well, that depends. I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as "too much protein" but the protein that does not become muscle will fill your toilet bowl.
Not to put you in the spotlight or correct you, but rather for educational purposes: There is such a thing as too much protein. There have been studies linking excessive protein intake and kidney problems. That's neither here nor there really; your recommendation of 1.2g is not going to pose risk to the health of an athlete.

Quote:
What's your bodyweight, and how much do you want to gain? Generally speaking, maintenence intake is about 12 calories per lb of bodyweight with about 1.2 g of protein per lb each day. Bulking on the other hand generally consist of eating 15-20 cals per lb with 1.5-2g of protein per lb. To bulk cleanly I personally say take whatever fat naturally accompanies your protein sources and minimize carbs.
As Off-Road called it, you want to be looking at 1.2g per pound of LBM. With skinnier people the recommendation of per pound of body weight is not going to hurt anyone, but when you're dealing with obese individuals, specifically the really heavy guys, their intake could be far too excessive.

There have been several studies, which can be found on pubmed, that show .8g-1.2g per pound of LBM is sufficient for athletes. If you're bulking, 1.5 isn't going to hurt, but 2g per pound of LBM offers little to no benefit.

Again, this is in the context of an individual who trains frequently and regularly.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
Not to put you in the spotlight or correct you, but rather for educational purposes: There is such a thing as too much protein. There have been studies linking excessive protein intake and kidney problems. That's neither here nor there really; your recommendation of 1.2g is not going to pose risk to the health of an athlete.

As Off-Road called it, you want to be looking at 1.2g per pound of LBM. With skinnier people the recommendation of per pound of body weight is not going to hurt anyone, but when you're dealing with obese individuals, specifically the really heavy guys, their intake could be far too excessive.

There have been several studies, which can be found on pubmed, that show .8g-1.2g per pound of LBM is sufficient for athletes. If you're bulking, 1.5 isn't going to hurt, but 2g per pound of LBM offers little to no benefit.

Again, this is in the context of an individual who trains frequently and regularly.

Wanted to jump in and say that I have scarring damage in my kidneys from health issues as a kid. I eat unlimited amount of meat and experience no issues in renal health. It'll be hard to overdose on protein if you get it from meat. Anyone who thinks going through a tub of protein powder in a day is a good idea is just silly. Not disagreeing with you Shadow, just wanted to point out that its difficult to naturally eat too much protein.
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

1gram for every lb of body weight, I never get there, but thats the goal.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
wankerman
Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6

wankerman is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Are you training to be in her field? Or build strength? Or something entirely different? What is your height and weight?
Many questions here. But the most important one is: what's your goal, and how does it fit in with her training program?

If she's advocating a high-carbohydrate diet... I'm apprehensive, but I need to know more information first: exactly how much and what kinds of carbs you're eating, and what kind of training you're doing of course...

Again, more info required here mate.
I am 5 foot 11 and 149 pounds and looking to build as much muscle as I can. She figured out carbohydrates and told me I need at 550 grams each day or rice or things like that.
wankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post

Like I said, no such thing as too much at least from food Who gives a **** if your kidneys or liver work, as long as you can squat like a mother****er and look like a mass of twisting steel!

Last edited by Trevor Lane; 09-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankerman View Post
I am 5 foot 11 and 149 pounds and looking to build as much muscle as I can. She figured out carbohydrates and told me I need at 550 grams each day or rice or things like that.
Then I'm pretty sure she's an idiot.

She has prescribed for you a diet super-high in quick energy carbs and not suited to your goals at all, as there's no focus on proteins and fats.

As others have posted: it is genuinely hard to overdose on protein, if obtained from natural sources, at least. Overdosing on protein powders is another matter entirely, and something I can discuss first hand.

But in your case you need to - and can safely eat - double the protein this person has advised you to eat on a daily basis. Also increase your natural fats and cut those carbs down... a little, at least. You're young and have a very high metabolism, so I don't think a major reduction in carbs is beneficial.

More red meat. More chicken. More eggs. More milk. More fish. More olive oil.
And more almonds, beans, sweet potato and chic peas if you're looking for a more complete food pyramid.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet

Last edited by Abaddon; 09-02-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote