Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor
Default What is clean eating to you?

Thought I would ask this to see if our personal definitions vary. What does clean eating mean to you?
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
What does clean eating mean to you?
"Clean eating" is washing my steak before I throw it on the grill
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
BigTallOx
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Thought I would ask this to see if our personal definitions vary. What does clean eating mean to you?
No processed foods, no carbonation, no artificial sweeteners, no alcohol, stuff only made in my kitchen

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

IMO, you can ask 100 people this question, and you will get "nearly" 100 different type of answers. IMO, it is one of the most overhyped and most misunderstood terms on the good ole internet, and is close kin to the term "natural food".

This is a good article to read:

The Dirt on Clean Eating | Wannabebig

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
"Clean eating" is washing my steak before I throw it on the grill
LOL I can spare you the trouble OR - a steak is considered clean eating.

I consider clean eating to be any food that is unprocessed and as mother nature intended it to be eaten. This would of course include any fresh dairy, meat, fruits, and veggies, beans, etc. Of course, there are varying degrees of cleanliness, such as leaner cuts of meat, skim milk, etc
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

I don't think no processed food items is a requirement of clean eating. I believe that the bulk of your foods should come from unprocessed sources. Personally, I think that there's nothing wrong with having a couple slices of pizza, ice cream or something of that sort as long as the rest of your diet is in check.

In my honest opinion, most forum people who actually make an attempt to eat clean go too far and don't allow for these treats, when it wouldn't really matter one way or the other as long as everything else is in check, and consumption is limited.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
LOL I can spare you the trouble OR - a steak is considered clean eating.
Maybe the steak isnt clean eating? Lets see:

How is the cow fed? Is it with corn which has chemically added in perservatives/additives or is the cattle been fed human growth hormones in its life cycle?

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
I don't think no processed food items is a requirement of clean eating. I believe that the bulk of your foods should come from unprocessed sources. Personally, I think that there's nothing wrong with having a couple slices of pizza, ice cream or something of that sort as long as the rest of your diet is in check.

In my honest opinion, most forum people who actually make an attempt to eat clean go too far and don't allow for these treats, when it wouldn't really matter one way or the other as long as everything else is in check, and consumption is limited.
You can be a clean eater and have a cheat or unclean meal like pizza. Your right, there is nothing wrong with having a cheat meal or even a cheat day.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
Maybe the steak isnt clean eating? Lets see:

How is the cow fed? Is it with corn which has chemically added in perservatives/additives or is the cattle been fed human growth hormones in its life cycle?
The cows I eat are all clean

Fruits and veggies, even if grown with pesticides or whatever, are still considered clean. I buy organic whenever possible. I am also celiac - most of my gluten-free food is organic anyway.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Honestly, I typically refrain from using the words "cheat meal" and/or day. To me its not cheating; either you're on top of things or your diet is out of wack. And I know that the typical diet fails because people don't understand that you it's unnecessary to eliminate these kinds of foods from your diet; they just need to be limited.

If your macros will be met for the day, or the food will put you relatively close your macro requirements and it doesn't ignore your calorie limitations, then I don't see an issue with consuming items some may perceive as cheats.

Understand I'm being rather vague here, and I'm not noting my belief on the importance of having adequate veggies, fruits, etc. in your diet. I'm specifically talking about including "cheat" foods when the rest of the diet is properly structured.