Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #31
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Good point. I'll track a day or two from next week and see how I do. May just switch up nuts for olive oil in the shakes.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #32
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I did the same thing at first. I had nuts on my "low carb" days, but soon I realized they were killing my total. Olive oil in the shakes is about as good as it gets as far as adding pure, good fats. I also keep omega-3 caps around and usually pop 8-10 a day, with each cap being 1g.

Wings, on the other hand, are AWESOME for low carb eating. Tons of flavor as long as you go with the hot sauces and avoid the sweet sauces. I like to load up on ranch too, although that also can add some carbs if you don't watch out.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #33
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

So I have been on this pretty much for a week now and I'm feeling good. So far today I have had:

Coffee x lots
3 large scoops of whey in water with EVOO
XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger (no bun) with some green veg'
A few sticks of cheddar cheese
Have more cheese and some chicken for pre-training and then it's carb' time

Will weigh in soon and see where I'm at but all of trousers are looser in the waist and I appear to have lost a lot of face bloat. Not sure if this is good or not....

LtL
Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #34
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Thought I'd post an article I found when reading up about carb-backloading and trying to find a way that I could keep my morning workouts. To get the insulin spike post workout without the use of carbs its suggested a combination of casein hydrolysate and leucine with the PWO shake can achieve this. Just a warning, it tastes like sh*t!

From EliteFTS, Back Loading: Follow Up Dangerously HardcoreDangerously Hardcore
Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #35
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Nice bump J.

I ran this on and off over the Christmas break and have been back on it full time for the last week or so. Energy feels great, strength is consistent and lifting belt is almost down another hole. Weight remains the same around 102.5-103.5kgs in the morning. Good times.

Plan is to take this to the next level with more precise PWO nutrition (proper shake instead of a sleeve of oreos) and supplementation with BCAAs throughout the day as of next month. In the meantime I'm just trying to get into the habit of keeping carb' free food with me throughout the day to stop hunger cravings. Have to remember I'm not cutting, just recomping so need to keep eating LOTS.

LtL
Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #36
JTurner
Max Brawn

JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

In the past I've had great success with carb cycling to lean down some but right now my intention is just to maintain/recomp similar to you. Prior to christmas I was taking quite a low carb paleo approach but I get such bad cravings and my binges were getting ridiculous. For me carb-cycling seems like a good middle ground but I'll be able to comment more after some time but feeling good from this last week.

My meals each day are pretty much the same every day, I spent a lot of time counting everything in November/December so I have a good idea of what I'm getting/need. I just need to cut a few more carbs from the earlier meals. Carb free snacks are something I need idea's for, I usually carry almonds around but as Soldier was saying there's a limit to them. Dried sausage is another snack food I've used.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some good feedback in here over the coming months. Sitting at around 92kg right now with 3 belt holes left.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #37
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Bump. For you guys.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #38
JTurner
Max Brawn

Cheers Faz. Little more info I found on the subject, interview with Kiefer that answers a few common questions:

Interview with Kiefer about Carb Backloading Dangerously HardcoreDangerously Hardcore
Old 04-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #39
JTurner
Max Brawn

Though I'd do a little write up of my experience over the last 4 months with CBL. Still adjusting and getting things right but pretty sure I've got it working good for me right now.

First couple of months I was keeping the nightly carbs low and managed to drop some weight and it can work really well if you treat it similar to Carb Nite and stay low carb for a few days and then carb up.

For the last couple of months I've stopped with the idea of sticking to a weightclass to focus on just getting stronger. I've been taking advantage of the nightly backloads and its working really well with slow & steady weight gain. Energy levels are high throughout the day and I feel stronger and leaner. A friend I haven't seen in a while commented on how I look leaner, I think it's because when I was feasting on carbs all day long I always had a lot of water retention and bloat but the morning fasts/low carb work well to avoid part of this.

Current measurements; ~93kg morning weight and 19%BF(I think this is a kind reading will get a more accurate one next week).

Start of the year; ~90kg and unknown BF%.

Will hopefully be able to compare in a few months with another BF% to see what's going on.

This is a basic day for me:
09:00 - Whey shake over fast.
12:00 - First meal; chicken, bacon & broccoli pesto with 2 HB eggs.
15:00 - Second meal; beef, fried onions and green beans with 2 HB eggs.
17:30 - Start backload gently with some fruit.
18:30 - Third meal; beef chilli with carrot & sweet potato.
+whatever carbs I feel like eating.
21:00 - Evening shake; casein, PB & full fat milk.
+more carbs if I feel.

I prefer sticking to 3 big meals that I make in bulk for the week and then just add whatever I feel like on that day, the other night was a half rack of sticky ribs, a pizza, half a garlic bread stick and a big tub of yogurt. The base works out at 3000 cals with a c/p/f of 20/40/40 but ends up in the 4-5000 region, I don't really track total calorie intake though, just what carbs I add and how I feel.

Only difference on training days is an additional shake PWO and likely a bigger backload.

Long post but might be helpful for anyone thinking about CBL and I also wanted it somewhere to look back on in a few months. I would recommend it and it's easily adjustable for goals. Also works well for people who struggle to stay strict on a low carb diet or even as a bridge towards low carb.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #40
JTurner
Max Brawn

Update copy from log:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
09:00-12:00 Usually just 40g blend protein and coffee/green tea. I'll have EVOO or coconut oil with the coffee or shake.
13:00-14:00 250-500g Lean Beef Mince (fried with some onions & garlic or as burger patties) with cheese.
17:00 250-500g Lean Beef Mince, 4-6 eggs, bacon, cheese. Sometimes make this into a low carb pizza and add pepperoni and ham too.
18:00 1-2 litres choc/full fat milk, usually half and half. ~70g dextrose if trained.
20:00 0.7-1kg Pork Ribs or 0.7-1kg Chicken Wings.
22:00 30g casein, 300ml full fat milk or choc, ZMA, EVOO if gone low carb and no choc milk.

That's about it I think. I'm experimenting at the minute to find whether boosting the carbs the night before training or the evening after training works best for me. Right now I'm just trying to avoid gaining weight whilst not training at full capacity. I have quite a few low carb days in a week, it's been Mon-Fri for the last couple of weeks but I'm experimenting with more frequent loads with smaller windows, i.e. CBL.

Some days I train around 12:00 so I'll go in on a shake and coffee. Most days I try and get in around 15:00 so after my first beef meal. PWO is always 30-40g whey, 10g casein hydrolysate and 10g BCAA (Kiefer recommends 10g leucine but I prefer to buy 2:1:1 BCAA's for general use).

I always have 1-2kg beef in my fridge ready to eat and a tub of grated cheese. Every Sunday I buy a few kg's of wings and ribs and get them rubbed up and bagged in the fridge so I do minimal work through the week. Eat until satisfied, if craving at night, drink milk rather than 2 packs of cookies and whatever other crap.