Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I can see what he's getting at to a certain degree. I am not a big fan of the insulin roller coaster.

It can be hard for some who aren't big eaters to take in enough food unless they are eating some clean, fatty sources.

Any idea what the book costs?
Here is a link to the book on amazon:

Amazon.com: The Carb Nite Solution: The Physicist's Guide to Power Dieting (9781419613104): John Kiefer: Books Amazon.com: The Carb Nite Solution: The Physicist's Guide to Power Dieting (9781419613104): John Kiefer: Books

It is around 20 bucks
Old 08-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks. I might buy it and give it a read.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

I think it sounds like a good way to get people to buy your book; make something sound more important than it actually is. This sounds like unnecessarily complicating daily nutrition to have a result of little to no pay out. Trying to manipulate insulin is a theory that many try to run with and pretend it has more value than it actually does.

IMHO, investing time in this is wasting time that could be better spent doing something else. Like knitting...
Old 08-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
I think it sounds like a good way to get people to buy your book; make something sound more important than it actually is.
You could really say this about any idea. Not sure this is a logically valid argument. Not everyone is out to make a fast buck and scam people.
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWIP View Post
You could really say this about any idea. Not sure this is a logically valid argument. Not everyone is out to make a fast buck and scam people.
I'm not using that as an argument against anything. I'm not saying the author is in it to scam people either.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 08-17-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Bumping this as I am thinking about running something similar. I feel crappy with carb's during the day but want to be MASSIVE not necessarily ripped.

JWood - Did you run this? How did you get on?

Anyone else have experiences of using this method for mass?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I've been running a diet based on this and am very happy with the results. On weekdays I fast until 3, then eat a protein and fat based meal (usually eggs and cheese). I usually train between 4 and 7 on weekdays, and afterwards I get all my carbs for the day. I try to eat all of my grain based carbs within a couple hours of training, but I also make sure to get plenty of fats and protein too. On the weekends I'm usually pretty active, so I just start eating carbs after the first active thing I do on a given day.

I usually stick to the very low carb intake all day on non-training days, although there are exceptions. Today is one, because tomorrow I have a big fitness test, so today I'm still taking in some carbs to make sure I'm at my absolute best tomorrow, even though I'm not training.

I personally feel that this diet is absolutely the best for me when it comes to maintaining performance and lower bodyfat levels while still building muscle.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Solid post Solider. Thanks for the info.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Thanks soldier.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I dabbled into this a bit. I just find it tough for me to get enough calories without the quick carbs that add that boost, during the day.

I think this is a solid approach, especially if you train at night. It makes sense if you work during the day, you eat what you can at work just protein and fat and then after you lift you just eat a massive meal.

I think you need to use what works with your lifestyle, I think if you train mid day or the evening this is perfect. Carbs post workout are awesome and you can just pig out.

I did not run this long enough to get much out of it. But one guy at my gym is starting to use it and I may use it during the spring. After I am done bulking for a while.

Bottom line, I think it would work well and makes sense.