Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
So Steve its more recomended that i aggresive bulk to 210?
I would say so. But you will need to adopt a strategy that also factors in your metabolism, insulin sensitivity, etc. Simply stated, if you have a tendency to get fat easily, I would go crazy.

I am not one to micromanage macronutients, so how you eat/bulk is up to you. At minimum though I would say unless you are gaining a pound a month this year, you are doing yourself a disservice - that is if you are training progressively.

If someone is insulin sensitive, or tend to blow up on carbs, you could always try something funky like doing Paleo every other day or third day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

Honestly i in the 21 pounds i have added i havent added a whole lot of fat. Im in the middle of ecto and meso. once i hit 200 i going reassess and go from there.
SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #13
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

77 If i were you i would be taking advantage of the facts that you are fairly new to lifting and young (so have lots of test anyway) and i would be bulking aggressively for as long as i could, that doesnt mean eating rubbish, just lots of good clean food, meat, potatoes, milk, cheese, eggs etc etc and training as hard on a strength based program (concentrating on progressing the big four lifts and only doing exercises that would help to that end) as i can 3-4 times per week (but definitely no more) and getting loads of rest.

In 12-18 months time you will have built some solid muscle and have reasonable lifts and can worry about what you look like then.

I wish i could go back 15 years and take my own advice lol.. I would eat like a loon, do SS or some 5x5 and not worry about cuts, pumps or isolation exercises.. Id get strong at the big 3/4 and the oly lifts and EVERYTHING else would fall in to place

Carl.

Last edited by Carl1174; 07-16-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #14
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

bump... anyone else ???

Carl.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
TBtaylor52
LG Science Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 1,397, Level: 20 Points: 1,397, Level: 20 Points: 1,397, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Lipotropic Protein
TBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality postsTBtaylor52 has made some quality posts

Read through. And Steve pretty much hit it right on the head. I see this being A LOT more helpful to people who are close to their potential rather than someone just starting out where they just need to eat.
TBtaylor52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Lane is a true Natural PRO Bodybuilder. So his approach will be different than a non competitive lifter. He has shows and Guest posing to think about. When you take this into account the more fat you put on the more you need to stripe for these. Also a natural PRO bber goal is to add size and symmetry with adding the least amount of fat as possible. Some for back up fuel but not so much to bring cutting to a year long deal.

A person just building and never stepping on stage just want brut strength and size. So comparing Lanes approach to a general lifter is apples and oranges.

This is a great point, and is an aspect that I have been thinking about a lot lately.

It's not unlike the disclaimers you see on tv. These are professionals, don't try this at home.

Driving a racecar on the track and driving a car in steet traffic both involve driving a car. However you would not go learn to drive a car for the street by attending race driving lessons. They are alike in a lot ways, but not really the same.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post

I wish i could go back 15 years and take my own advice lol.. I would eat like a loon, do SS or some 5x5 and not worry about cuts, pumps or isolation exercises.. Id get strong at the big 3/4 and the oly lifts and EVERYTHING else would fall in to place

Carl.
This was really at the core of my rapid gains.

I didn't do SS of course, but my workout was squats, dips, compounds, compounds, compounds and aggressive progress. I didn't worry about food. I ate three good meals and had protein snacks with fruit or carbs in between. I didn't limit what I ate, ate pretty healthy, but ate plenty of dessert.

The single fastest way to make gains is compounds + progression + food.

When you look on forums you get the impression that everyone is doing this. They think they are, but they're not. They don't eat enough nor do they progress much at all. I see guys lifting for 3-4 years who squat 200. No disrespect meant, but if you have been squatting for 3-4 years and can't do more than 200 you need to understand that this lack of progression is why you are failing.

When I say "eat enough" people always misinterpret that as "eating like a pig". It's not. But I don't think the counting macros approach is needed for most recreational lifters. If I am being truthful I think it's a complete waste of time for recreational lifters.

Eat 3 square meals that are balanced, are not salads, and do not contain low fat this and low fat that. Eat eggs, beef, whole milk, cheese, seafood, pork...chase it with healthy carbs...potatoes, oatmeal, rice, whatever, and add it some fruits and veggies each day.

Cook your veggies in butter or olive oil. Heck, cook your meats in butter and olive oil. Cooking is such a lost art. Watch a few cooking shows...they whip out things like buttermilk, heavy cream, butter and bacon for taste. Get on that train, go old school, and eat like your grandparents.

Instead of drinking soda, drink whole milk when you are thirsty throughout the day.

In between meals snack. Try almonds, bananas and things with protein like milk and string cheese.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-17-2011 at 10:16 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #18
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Forums can be the most helpful and the most hurtful resources. You can get great advice like BtB gave, and you can get horrible advice from guys that just don't have a clue. Then the new guys have to learn who to listen to.

Case in point...

When looking at pictures of some of the Starting Strength success stories, a guy "in the know" will see a person that has gotten a ton stronger, ate to put on weight, and as a result got a LOT BIGGER in a relatively short ammount of time.

Then along comes Mr. Abercrombie and says the guy looks horrible, lost his leanness, lost his abz, and will be a big dissapointment to the women. Now he has all the newer lifter scared shitless to eat enough to grow. Really, really sad.

I know everybody has their own goals and we shouldn't pass judgement, but if you really want to get bigger and stronger in a timely manner; let go of the fat phobias.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

I Macro count, but i am very serious about competing, and i wont compete, until i feel that i can win! Honest to god i dont know anyone who eats as clean as i do. People i know literally talk about it all the time haha. Thanks for all the feedback guys, i am taking all your words seriously.
SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This was really at the core of my rapid gains.

I didn't do SS of course, but my workout was squats, dips, compounds, compounds, compounds and aggressive progress. I didn't worry about food. I ate three good meals and had protein snacks with fruit or carbs in between. I didn't limit what I ate, ate pretty healthy, but ate plenty of dessert.

The single fastest way to make gains is compounds + progression + food.

When you look on forums you get the impression that everyone is doing this. They think they are, but they're not. They don't eat enough nor do they progress much at all. I see guys lifting for 3-4 years who squat 200. No disrespect meant, but if you have been squatting for 3-4 years and can't do more than 200 you need to understand that this lack of progression is why you are failing.

When I say "eat enough" people always misinterpret that as "eating like a pig". It's not. But I don't think the counting macros approach is needed for most recreational lifters. If I am being truthful I think it's a complete waste of time for recreational lifters.

Eat 3 square meals that are balanced, are not salads, and do not contain low fat this and low fat that. Eat eggs, beef, whole milk, cheese, seafood, pork...chase it with healthy carbs...potatoes, oatmeal, rice, whatever, and add it some fruits and veggies each day.

Cook your veggies in butter or olive oil. Heck, cook your meats in butter and olive oil. Cooking is such a lost art. Watch a few cooking shows...they whip out things like buttermilk, heavy cream, butter and bacon for taste. Get on that train, go old school, and eat like your grandparents.

Instead of drinking soda, drink whole milk when you are thirsty throughout the day.

In between meals snack. Try almonds, bananas and things with protein like milk and string cheese.
damn i wish i had heard this or met you or joined this forum at 21

Good stuff Steve, you will not go wrong eating good food, doing compunds and progressing..... AWESOME

Carl.