Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Raw eggs...what's up with that? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680)

big valsalva 09-12-2009 01:39 PM

Raw eggs...what's up with that?
 
As my family and I were enjoying our Malt-O-Meal this morning, the conversation somehow got around to eating cookie dough and the recent panic over salmonilla in some prepacked frozen cookie dough. My wife explained to the youngsters the dangers of eating raw eggs. But then she said, "Some bodybuilders eat raw eggs, right?" looking directly at me for support. "Uh, yeah, I guess," I said. So, we started wondering, how and why did the athelete/bodybuilder stereotype of swallowing raw eggs get started. Why not cook them up? I thought it was because of the fat required to fry them, but my wife reminded me that they could be boiled too.

Question: Why eat raw eggs?

beam 09-12-2009 02:16 PM

I think the thought behind it is. The heat destroys the amino acids. Eating or drinking them raw gives a better quality of amino's. I'm not sure this is correct.

BendtheBar 09-12-2009 04:17 PM

Rocky is the only time I've ever seen the marriage of raw eggs and sports :)

There are plenty of nice raw egg downing videos on Youtube...

YouTube - rocky raw eggs


big valsalva 09-12-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beam (Post 4971)
I think the thought behind it is. The heat destroys the amino acids. Eating or drinking them raw gives a better quality of amino's. I'm not sure this is correct.

That I'd buy. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 4977)
Rocky is the only time I've ever seen the marriage of raw eggs and sports :)

There are plenty of nice raw egg downing videos on Youtube...

YouTube - rocky raw eggs

YouTube - Rocky Training - 6 Raw Eggs

That was the classic example I was thinking of, however I'm sure I've encountered it elsewhere. I just can't remember where.

BendtheBar 09-12-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big valsalva (Post 4980)
That I'd buy. Thank you.



That was the classic example I was thinking of, however I'm sure I've encountered it elsewhere. I just can't remember where.

Maybe you and some friends did the classic raw egg, tabasco and vodka shot...know as the Man-let?

bwys61 09-24-2009 06:34 PM

i agree with the loss of aminos. however, i don't think it is worth it to eat them raw when you can boil them or scramble and fry them in cooking spray

big valsalva 09-24-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwys61 (Post 5806)
i agree with the loss of aminos. however, i don't think it is worth it to eat them raw when you can boil them or scramble and fry them in cooking spray

My thoughts exactly. Thanks.

RickB 09-25-2009 08:18 PM

They taste too good cooked for me to eat them raw. +amino acids or not! ;)

BendtheBar 09-25-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 5932)
They taste too good cooked for me to eat them raw. +amino acids or not! ;)

Exactly. Eggs + onions + tabasco = low calories fun.

bwys61 09-26-2009 03:15 PM

eggs, fresh spinach, light mayo and bbq sauce


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.