Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
thumpinos
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts

I stick with the bodybuilders on this one.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Just to be far in this, lets put a real pic of him up. (on the right) coaching a strong man competitor here.

I'll keep to what works for me, no mater what any one or book says.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Let's be careful about calling folks with differing opinions "uneducated".

Every bodybuilder I have ever worked with uses frequent feedings. Perhaps it was supplement company propaganda at one point, but the reality is that it works, and to my knowledge, has never let anyone down.

If eating one, two or even three times per day works for you - eat that way. I personally don't care if someone eats frog tongues and bird droppings if it works for them.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-05-2011 at 01:36 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent Volume View Post
Every bodybuilder in the last 40 years is uneducated and has it wrong? If they are using it, and it is working, I would say they have protein feedings pretty well under control.
All that this proves is that there are multiple ways of doing things. That doesn't prove that they are optimal or even better. A prime example, as Lyle pointed out, Martin Berkhan who regularly practices intermittent-fasting.

Quote:
Furthermore, Lyle McDonald is not exactly a bodybuilder.
To write off Lyle McDonald's educated perspective, based on the simple fact that he does not look like a bodybuilder (not even taking into account if his goals are relative at all), would be a very ignorant statement. Research can/does support his opinions in almost every case that he writes a review on. To say that personal experiences are somehow holds more value than that would also be foolish.

You're not going to hear me argue that meal frequency doesn't work, but to suggest that anything other is equal to or less ideal, IMO would be an uneducated statement. Working, and having advantages over, are two totally different animals.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Let's be careful about calling folks with differing opinions "uneducated".
I'm not calling them stupid, or insulting them in the least. I'm saying that it is indeed uneducated to state that it is somehow superior because there is sound research that suggests otherwise. How you eat is up to you ultimately, and as I stated, I agree that meal fequency will work for those seeking body recomposition.

If someone has a differing opinion, that's fine. However, I prefer to hear from a scientific perspective that is refuting evidence, rather than personal experiences, and insulting one's credibility by saying that they don't have the body and therefor their input is invalid.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 07-05-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shadow View Post
If someone has a differing opinion, that's fine. However, I prefer to hear from a scientific perspective that is refuting evidence, rather than personal experiences, and insulting one's credibility by saying that they don't have the body and therefor their input is invalid.
Lyle McDonald is one of th people that fall into track record and knowledge background, if you are looking for a new approach because your present isn't working.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #17
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I thought the meal frequency ideas regarding more meals or spacing meals 3 hours apart was more about controlling insulin spikes and blood sugar levels? That and the fact that it can be damned hard to eat 1800 calories in one meal.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
I thought the meal frequency ideas regarding more meals or spacing meals 3 hours apart was more about controlling insulin spikes and blood sugar levels?
People practice meal frequency for varying reasons.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shadow View Post
I'm saying that it is indeed uneducated to state that it is somehow superior because there is sound research that suggests otherwise.
You just called me uneducated because I believe 40 years of real world, track record experience is superior. You believe my research and conclusions are inferior because they aren't his or yours.

Once again, we don't handle things like that at MAB.

I have put plenty of thought into this over the past 25 years and have formed conclusions and ideas. I do believe it's superior. I've done my homework, and drawn my own conclusions. And I believe them to be educated.

With that said, I do not believe Lyle to be "uneducated" because we don't share the same viewpoint.

I have never seen one bodybuilder let down by frequent feeding and this is the only study I need.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankerman View Post
Your body never needs more than 30 grams and frequent feeding is just a way to get you to eat more protein so the supplement companies make more money.
Even vegetarian Bodybuilder get more protein than this threw vegetables and grains.