Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler97 View Post

Thanks again for the invitation here, this is a great site and we can have real discussions without the "children" at bb.com.

I am really looking to add muscle now, do you have any studies on hormones and sleep. I read our biggest GH release comes within one hour of sleep. Well what if we split our sleep in half and took an hour nap during the day, would this double our GH release?

What about eating at night? again I've read contradictive statements, one saying we get a greater release when we don't eat for a couple of hours before, and yet some stating we need protein right before bed. I have been having the protein jsut before going down as I can't sleep when I'm hungry. I just want to find the best ways to naturally spike my GH and free test.
You're welcome. Glad to have you here. And 18,000 calories is insane I don't know if I could match that

I don't know much about the GH end of things, but I imagine that if you cut sleep in half, the body's normal GH levels would react and would actually dip the rest of the day until you were fully rested...just speculating. I know how lack of sleep can cause our hormones to severely fluctuate, so I assume GH is the same.

As far as night eating, I can't sleep unless I get enough carbs before bed. I think the human body is wired to not want to sleep unless it has a good meal before bed. With that said, I think if you ate a decent meal and it ended at least 2 hours before bed, you might get the GH benefit stated, even if your meal was huge. Again, just thinking out loud.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #22
Mauler97
New Brawn
Points: 1,068, Level: 17 Points: 1,068, Level: 17 Points: 1,068, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Mauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Hey guys Steve was nice enought to grab me from bb.com and allow me to post an article on here. I'm glad he did, this site is like bb.com minus all the kids.

I will try and check and post on here daily, but if you have any questions at all about the Spike Diet please let me know and I will anser them.

My book is being published in Minneapolis, it's currently in the layout design phase and there will be a digital run to get about 200 copies done by the end of the month for a business expo and to be sent of for review and the media.

The commercial run will take 3-4 weeks so I will get a large supply of copies by mid-late October. It will be available then from my site and other sites like Amazon and Borders.com. My goal is obviously to get this to spread from happy "Spikers" word of mouth style so I can get it into the large chain of book stores.

If you are interested in the book and don't want to wait, I am selling the eBook from my site. It's PDF and printable.

Again I really want to thank Steve for the opportunity, and also for the really kind posts from the other members. My feedback from bb.com has for the most part been great but there are a few kids and older kids who are kind of set in their ways and will dismiss it without ever trying it.

A little background about me, I grew up the "heavy" kid. I wore husky sized jeans, and from my earliest school aged memories I was singled out and teased for being fat. When I was 13, the summer going into 8th grade I finally had enough and I really wanted to lose weight. My parents tried but they were not much help. They told me to eat salads and drink v-8. I hated both but I had them anyway. I began doing push-ups and jumping on a trampoline daily while beginning an early form of the Spike Diet. While I was eating lettuce with turkey most days for whatever reason I forget, I chose Thursday's to eat what I wanted; I had a Tony's Pizza every Thursday night with Ice Cream for dessert, and I allowed myself to eat the regular school lunch. My weight went from 220lbs to 180lbs from May-September, and when I was back at school I wasn't recognizable to many of the kids there. Knowing what I know now, it worked because I ate very little 6 days a week, very low fat, too low actually but I didn't know any better, but my Thursday binges saved me from starvation mode.

The next several years of my life I still struggled with weight, but on a very minor level. That lead me to eventually just giving up foods like pizza and ice cream for several years.
I bought the Anold Shwarzenegger Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding when I was 16, I learned a lot from that book. Plus that with watching "Pumping Iron" I fell in love with lifting weights and Bodybuilding. I stayed in pretty good shape until my early twenties when I got married. I married one of those ladies with hyper-metabolism, she can eat a lot and not gain a pound, so I tried to keep up with her and once I started eating pizza and ice cream again I was up to the 250's, and then eventually 300, and then up to my highest of 330lbs. During those years I tried about a 3 dozen diets but they never lasted more than a month or two. I really just gave up and I began believing that this was my inevitable fate. Then after I saw pictures of me and my son, with my enormous 46-inch waist just surrounding him I decided I had to lose weight for him AND myself. I wanted him to have a Dad that could run around with him, wrestle, and play ball. At the time I was heading to 400lbs and a wheel chair, I didn't want that to be my life or his life. So I went back to my bodybuilding bible, and began with just cutting calories. The more I read from bb.com the more I got hooked on the science of fat burning and I became hopefull that I would find a way to finally lose this weight and keep it off for good.

----Wow this is getting long, I have a lot more to write still so I will come back and finish soon---- I need to find a way to quickly summarize this..lol
Back to finish up this story.

That year I really got hooked on bodybuilding, I wanted to get stronger so I read books on power lifting as who knows more about strength than powerlifters? A couple months in I download the Max-OT workout and my workouts after that point would never be the same! I loved Max-OT, I liked the heavy weight, the short workouts, and how I seamed to progress every week.
I have my progress pics on my bodyspace at bb.com, but I went from about 330lbs in August to 255lbs in January, my strength shot WAY UP, the difference between this diet and what was to become the Spike Diet was just the Spike Day, I was horribly afraid to cheat. Instead I had high-day/low-days using my BMR with a lot of protein both days (300+ grams) In January I decided to stop dieting and eat more so I upped my calories to about 4K daily and my protein up to 400 grams. From January-March my weight stayed pretty much the same but my strength had another huge jump. I was repping 350lbs 8 times and my arms were getting close to 19inches and my chest about 50inch.

Then I made the mistake of trying to play football again, I was recruited to play semi-pro football for the Oakdale Outlaws. It had been a few years since I quit playing and I was really excited to play again at my new size and strength. We began practicing and hitting at the end of March but I didn't stop lifting heavy. At one of our practices we were doing push-ups for warm-ups and one of the times we were holding a 10 count I felt a pop in my shoulder. It hurt but I didn't really worry about it, then during tackling drills I felt another pop and I had severe pain running down my arm. I basically tore all of the cartilage out of my shoulder and I had bone on bone. I was done lifting whcih completely sucked. I spent several months in rehab before I actually got the surgery I needed. I did however go back on my diet and I upped my cardio to twice a day, and I lost another 30lbs, probably a lot of muscle though. All in all from August-July, 11 months I lost about 105lbs. I learned how to manipulate my metabolism, and how to build muscle or strength while losing weight.

Once I hit 225lbs I quit the cardio and my old eating habits started coming back, I basically gained 20lbs in 3-4 months and I stayed arounf 245-250lbs for a couple of years.

After a bad year in Real Estate I needed a new job and I was hired to manage and train at Anytime Fitness in Elk River, MN I was shocked when I saw my weight was up to 265lbs. I knew if I was going to sell myself I had to be in much better shape so I went back on my old diet and started lifting again. My surgically repaired shoulder was fine with me using the Smith Machine for most of my upper body exercises.

This time though I wanted to lose weight without cardio, because I knew it was something I wouldn't keep doing and I did not want to lose weight to just gain it back again.

I ate high-low again, and I lost almost 20lbs in the first 2 months but then something happened, I hit a plateau. I was stuck at 246lbs. For 2+ weeks I could not get under that number and even worse my cravings we getting beyond my control. I didn't understand what was happening as I logged everything and I was perfect with my numbers it just didn't make any sense. In lieu of losing total control, Itold myself I would give in to these cravings for one day and try and just "get them out" and then I would just start over agsain even if it meant I would gain a few pounds I had to or I would have gone crazy and completely falling off of the boat.

So on the coming Sunday I ate everything I had been literally dreaming of; pizza, donuts, Dairy Queen, about 5,000 calories worth. At the end of the day I felt suprisingly good. Monday my cravings were gone and my energy was outstanding and even better I was shocked when I saw I lost 3lbs when I weighed myself that Friday. So of course I did it again and I lost 2 more pounds the following week. Then I began researching what the heck just happend I found amazing scientific evidence that this does work and it wasn't jsut as fluke. Specifically the studies on leptin and the 1950's study "The Minnesota Semi-Starvation Study" from Dr. Ancel Keys. It all just made total sense.

The Spike Diet was born, and I continued spiking my metabolism weekly. I steam-rolled to my goal weight of 225lbs and beyond. I wrote the ebook and others began my diet with great success.

Currently I am still in the 217-220lbs range depending on water weight, I'm going on 10 weeks of maintaining and still to this day I have not done any cardio...lol

Sorry this was long, but my background and life growing up lead me to this point, and basically for my own sanity I had to find a way to get in shape and stay that way. I am tired of being the fat kid and fat man, but I also love to eat like one.

Thanks
The Spike Diet is my dream come true. 20 years of yo-yo dieting is now at an end, and I am now finally able to follow a plan for the rest of my life that will keep me fit and not deprive myself of the foods I love.

Please visit www.spikediet.com for more information.

Last edited by Mauler97; 09-15-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Mauler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

Sorry this was long, but my background and life growing up lead me to this point, and basically for my own sanity I had to find a way to get in shape and stay that way. I am tired of being the fat kid and fat man, but I also love to eat like one.

Thanks
You never have to apologize for post length. That was a very good read, and I'm sure everyone else here will agree.

Sanity is the key issue for me, and I'm sure for many, when trying to cut fat. I NEED junk once a week, or I go crazy. I love food, and love to cook. And I can't survive without the occasional ice cream and nachos.

What was the average rate of weight loss you experienced on the SD week to week?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #24
Mauler97
New Brawn

Mauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
You never have to apologize for post length. That was a very good read, and I'm sure everyone else here will agree.

Sanity is the key issue for me, and I'm sure for many, when trying to cut fat. I NEED junk once a week, or I go crazy. I love food, and love to cook. And I can't survive without the occasional ice cream and nachos.

What was the average rate of weight loss you experienced on the SD week to week?
Hey Steve,

I lost an average of 2.3 lbs a week, it was almost exactly 2lbs every week, with a couple of weeks at 3lbs and a few 1-1.5lb weeks.

I would weigh myself AM and PM everyday to see what was happening. I would compare monday-monday, and judge my weight loss by my Saturday morning weights before I spiked.

When I went to maintence I took 2lbs X 3,500 cals and added 7,000 calories back to my week. For me personally it is easier mentally to eat more over the weekend instead of adding 1,000 every day.

This has worked very well for my sanity and my weight, all without any cardio.
The Spike Diet is my dream come true. 20 years of yo-yo dieting is now at an end, and I am now finally able to follow a plan for the rest of my life that will keep me fit and not deprive myself of the foods I love.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Thanks Mauler. Hopefully I start the Spike tomorrow.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #26
Mauler97
New Brawn

Quote:
Thanks Mauler. Hopefully I start the Spike tomorrow.
How's the Spike Diet treating you?

The book should be going tro print later today! I really can't wait to have the book in my hands. The publisher says it takes 3-4 weeks to get them back. My local paper is having a reporter and a photographer come out to my gym next week to run a story that will come out the week the book is released. Also BOBFM here in the Twin Cities will be interviewing me on air that same week.
I will keep you posted on what's happening with the book. Doors keep opening up just like they did with muscleandbrawn.com and I think this will be a really fun ride.

Thanks again

Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
How's the Spike Diet treating you?

The book should be going tro print later today! I really can't wait to have the book in my hands. The publisher says it takes 3-4 weeks to get them back. My local paper is having a reporter and a photographer come out to my gym next week to run a story that will come out the week the book is released. Also BOBFM here in the Twin Cities will be interviewing me on air that same week.
I will keep you posted on what's happening with the book. Doors keep opening up just like they did with muscleandbrawn.com and I think this will be a really fun ride.

Thanks again
Awesome news! Let me know if the story makes the Internet version of their paper.

So far so good with the Spike.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #28
Mauler97
New Brawn

Default Spike Diet went to print!

Hey Muscle and Brawn

I can finally relax for a bit, the book is totally done and it went to print last Friday, there will be 200 advanced copies done and ready to ship at the end of this week! My publisher has a couple couple thousand on order that will be done in about a month, the commercial prints take quite a bit longer. The 200 will be considered first edition and I will sign all of them, also the back page will be a bit different to distinguish them from the majority.

I could use your guy's help in spreading the word, maybe just becoming a fan on facebook or telling people about this. The odds of a small book like this making it big are very small but I believe with the internet and help it's possible. The Spike Diet is my blood, sweat, and tears. From years of being picked on at school for being fat, and the pain and shame of being an obese adult I am finally broken from that path. I really hope that this book will help millions.
I also hope that this also starts a revolution of who is actually writing these types books. I want guys like Steve writing workout books(which he is) and there is a girl at bb.com that like me grew up overweight and now that she has lost 40+lbs on the Spike Diet she is looking to write an inspirational book directed towards overweight teen-age girls. IMO, I want to read about someone who has experienced what I am going through and found a solution for it. I am sick of reading diet books from skinning old Doctors who have NO idea of what it is like being overweight.

If you want more information my website is:
The Spike Diet - A Break From Conventional Diets
For testimonials go to
Testimonials The Spike Diet - A Break From Conventional Diets

Login | Facebook

Thanks for taking a look,

Russ

Here's my first book review, albeit from my book design artist. He has reviewed many different books and it's cool for me to read his take on it. My publicist is sending some of the advanced copies out for review from other media outlets so I should have some real media reviews in a couple of months.

SPIKE DIET

I took a read through your book. It's refreshing, assuring and very informative. I also think that it makes sense, although hard to believe at times considering how inundated we've become with conflicting information about diet and exercise and lifestyle. I really like that you had a very practical approach to the recipes and shopping at the grocery store.

I should expand on this a bit because I think it's a really great program for these reasons: It makes the relationship between food and person exactly what it is, a source of energy, source of celebration and a product to be respected and enjoyed-not a pariah. I also like that there is the emphasis on exercise and activity. What I really liked is the math involved with this, so that it really does put a person in control of their body and have a visual accountability for it and tools to use. That is really key with this is the tracking, the facts and the approach. It's really a science class in body management and health rather than a quick fix or crappy fad diet that says you don't have to exercise. I have to look at the math closer because that may be part of what has prevented me from ever losing that pudge around my gut and love handles. Even at my lowest weight and fittest moments, pudge. Which, I have to say; I'm drawn to this book because I've lived a very similar lifestyle to what it discusses except more. More information, more evidence and more structure. I'm notorious for starting tracking and then letting life's interruptions get in the way of tracking, not necessarily eating and exercise, but tracking.

It was inspiring cause the expert stuff that you wonder about but it's right there for you and understandable.

Anthony Sclavi
Design & Illustration
BRIO Self-Publishing Author Services | Full Service Book Self-Publishing

Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I'm going to Tweet and Facebook this post.

Let us know when you have a link for purchase.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #30
Mauler97
New Brawn

Quote:
I'm going to Tweet and Facebook this post.

Let us know when you have a link for purchase.
Thank you Steve,

I have a paypal pre-order option on my front page now. My publisher said I should have the books by Firday and I will get the orders out asap.

I appreciate it.