Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Mauler...good to see you over here. You have a great passion for helping people, and Muscle and Brawn's doors are always open. Anytime you need promo, etc., let me know.

Can you post your before and after pics?

BTW, if you ever need a Spike Diet forum, I'll open a board here for you.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-12-2009 at 04:43 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

I'd like to learn more. It would be cool if you would open a forum. You ever try a spike diet for bulking?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
I'd like to learn more. It would be cool if you would open a forum. You ever try a spike diet for bulking?
I'd like to learn more. Hope you stick around bro. ating big one day a week sounds like the bombzizzle.
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Mauler97
New Brawn
Points: 1,068, Level: 17 Points: 1,068, Level: 17 Points: 1,068, Level: 17

Mauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
I would be very happy to have a forum here.

I have tried the Spike Diet with bulking. What I've done is first knock out all cardio, which I don't do anyway but I've had clients who were trying to gain weight but doing cardio on a regular basis. If you lift with enough intensity you will get plenty of "cardio" for your heart with just the weights.

For eating I go extremely clean during the week, and I use maintenence calories figures with your TDEE, basically your BMR X 1.55 for most people. On your Spike Day go ahead and eat whatever you want. This is your time to get donuts, pizza, and ice cream.

For bulking I would try and lift 4-5 times a week breaking your body parts up to have shorter workouts. 30-40 minutes each.

Mon- Eat maintence and lift= BMR X1.55
TUES-OFF, eat Maintence-500= BMR X1.55-500
Wed-LIFT= BMR X 1.55
Thurs- OFF BMR X 1.55-500
FRI- LIFT BMR X 1.55
SAT- Spike Day= BMR X 2= OFF
Sun- Lift BMR X 1.55

This formula should give you a "break even" point with weekly calories, excess calories are stored as bodyfat PERIOD, I have yet see a study that showed excess calories build muscle. I understand why we need more calories for bulking as we want to make sure we have enough calories to fuel workouts and recover but there is a reason we get fat when we bulk and it's excess calories.

I believe this formula will provide enough calories to build muscle and strength and yet keep you from storing fat.

Have your most important lifting day on Sunday, your Spike Day will resore any glycogen shortage and give you your best workout of the week.

PROTEIN, I don't need to tell you guys to eat enough protein. My preference is 1.5 grams per pound of weight. More if you think you need it.

Currently I have 2 clients following this formula with great results. They are only 2 and 3 weeks into it but I think it will work great long term.

Then to cut they go back on the true Spike Diet, and you will be able to burn fat without losing muscle.

I hated the idea of bulking because you gain fat, I hated cutting because you lose muscle. I want to build muscle without the added fat and I want to preserve my muscle that I worked hard to get while burning fat.

I know I have been able to keep or even gain muscle while losing weight, I can see it in my pictures and in my signifigant increase in strength. This bulking idea is not as well tested but I think in theory it could be great.

On my favorite things about the Spike Diet is knowing when I can eat junk food, on normal diets I may try and fit DQ or pizza into a day or feel like I need to give them up for good. Now its clear, I eat clean foods during the week and have my fill of junk on Spike Day, while bulking, maintaining, or dieting.
The Spike Diet is my dream come true. 20 years of yo-yo dieting is now at an end, and I am now finally able to follow a plan for the rest of my life that will keep me fit and not deprive myself of the foods I love.

Please visit www.spikediet.com for more information.
Mauler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler97 View Post
I
For eating I go extremely clean during the week, and I use maintenence calories figures with your TDEE, basically your BMR X 1.55 for most people. On your Spike Day go ahead and eat whatever you want. This is your time to get donuts, pizza, and ice cream.

This formula should give you a "break even" point with weekly calories, excess calories are stored as bodyfat PERIOD, I have yet see a study that showed excess calories build muscle. I understand why we need more calories for bulking as we want to make sure we have enough calories to fuel workouts and recover but there is a reason we get fat when we bulk and it's excess calories.
Common sense thinking, breathe the fresh air.

The bolded part really caught my eye. It is something I have felt was correct. I have read so many times that you have to eat a katrillion kcals a day to grow. You only need enough to not be in the negative, how simple is that to understand? I mean seriously, how much muscle is our body growing on a day to day basis when pushing for size? Figure out the minimum number of kcals you need to grow and eat that while building.

I had suggested to somebody at, ( BB.com) to figure out their maintenance level, and increase that amount by a couple hundred a day, as a starting point. Then increase as needed by a few hundred based on how they responded. How crazy is that for a basic plan? Well apparently it's akin to saying the world is round in the year 1491. Whatever, sheeple. You go ahead and stuff those 4000k's down your throat everyday, then diet it off later.

Another way to look at dieting off excess fat is that your throwing money away. I don't know about you, but I have to pay for every calorie I put in my body. Do you keep pumping gas in, when it's spilling down the side of your car?

I like your thought process behind this diet.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #16
Mauler97
New Brawn

Mauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributorMauler97 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Common sense thinking, breathe the fresh air.

The bolded part really caught my eye. It is something I have felt was correct. I have read so many times that you have to eat a katrillion kcals a day to grow. You only need enough to not be in the negative, how simple is that to understand? I mean seriously, how much muscle is our body growing on a day to day basis when pushing for size? Figure out the minimum number of kcals you need to grow and eat that while building.

I had suggested to somebody at, ( BB.com) to figure out their maintenance level, and increase that amount by a couple hundred a day, as a starting point. Then increase as needed by a few hundred based on how they responded. How crazy is that for a basic plan? Well apparently it's akin to saying the world is round in the year 1491. Whatever, sheeple. You go ahead and stuff those 4000k's down your throat everyday, then diet it off later.

Another way to look at dieting off excess fat is that your throwing money away. I don't know about you, but I have to pay for every calorie I put in my body. Do you keep pumping gas in, when it's spilling down the side of your car?

I like your thought process behind this diet.
Thank you, I have also had the "how dare you" bb.com response from a few sheeple...lol It's because we have been told a million times to bulk then cut, but being that I have a huge problem with weight I don't want to willingly gain fat. Cut and bulk will have a benefit when it comes to keeping metabolism strong but so does having a Spike Day, and protein rebuilds muscle not calories.

One of the main factors for muscle building are hormones, so making sure we getting 7-8 hours of sleep is essential for GH release, and avoiding alchohol is also important. I know beer is great but keep it to Spike Days or let it go for while you are in a muscle building phase. I'd rather drink beer while dieting then while trying to build muscle because of the adverse affect it has on testosterone.
The Spike Diet is my dream come true. 20 years of yo-yo dieting is now at an end, and I am now finally able to follow a plan for the rest of my life that will keep me fit and not deprive myself of the foods I love.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I want to interject, and make the Spike Diet an even MORE appealing approach.

Excess calories are not automatically stored as fat. The body doesn't work like a light switch.

The body becomes VERY anabolic during short term bulks. During the first 14 days of a bulk, the body is extremely anabolic, and stores only a small portion of excess calories as fat. Generally 70% of excess calories go towards creating new muscle. And from the research, I would wager that most of this fat storage occurred after the first week of over-feeding.

During this time, the body is transitioning over to fat storage mode. After 2 weeks, the body is a fat storing machine.

A Spike day won't cause any real fat storage at all. This is one of the reasons why the diet is a solid approach. A one, or day day spike in calories actual works to the Spike Diet's benefit, helping the body retain mass during extended periods.

I created a bulking system based off this science:

Bulldozer Bodybuilding Bulking System | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

Here are the studies behind my claims...

* The 12 Day Study. In a 1996 study, Changes in macronutrient balance during over- and underfeeding assessed by 12-d continuous whole-body calorimetry, researchers found that a 12 day bulk resulted in a 4.38 lean muscle mass gain and a 2 pound fat mass gain. The amazing aspect of the study…participants did not perform any form of resistance training.
* The Rochester Study. The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry studied the hormonal response to mixed-diet bulking. Results revealed a significant boost in anabolic drive. Participants experienced rocketing levels of insulin, testosterone, and IGF-1, and experienced a significant increase in muscle mass. As in the “12 Day Study”, resistance training was not involved.
* The Short Term Study. In the study, Short-term, mixed-diet overfeeding in man: no evidence for “luxuskonsumption”, following a 13 day caloric maintenance period, 5 male subjects ate bulking diets for a 9 days period. During this time, subjects gained an average of 7.04 pounds. 3.1 pounds of this gain was muscle mass. (Please note that this bulk followed a maintenance period, and not a cut)

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-14-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
Mauler97
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
I want to interject, and make the Spike Diet an even MORE appealing approach.

Excess calories are not automatically stored as fat. The body doesn't work like a light switch.

The body becomes VERY anabolic during short term bulks. During the first 14 days of a bulk, the body is extremely anabolic, and stores only a small portion of excess calories as fat. Generally 70% of excess calories go towards creating new muscle. And from the research, I would wager that most of this fat storage occurred after the first week of over-feeding.

During this time, the body is transitioning over to fat storage mode. After 2 weeks, the body is a fat storing machine.

A Spike day won't cause any real fat storage at all.

I created a bulking system based off this science:

Bulldozer Bodybuilding Bulking System | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

Here are the studies behind my claims...

* The 12 Day Study. In a 1996 study, Changes in macronutrient balance during over- and underfeeding assessed by 12-d continuous whole-body calorimetry, researchers found that a 12 day bulk resulted in a 4.38 lean muscle mass gain and a 2 pound fat mass gain. The amazing aspect of the study…participants did not perform any form of resistance training.
* The Rochester Study. The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry studied the hormonal response to mixed-diet bulking. Results revealed a significant boost in anabolic drive. Participants experienced rocketing levels of insulin, testosterone, and IGF-1, and experienced a significant increase in muscle mass. As in the “12 Day Study”, resistance training was not involved.
* The Short Term Study. In the study, Short-term, mixed-diet overfeeding in man: no evidence for “luxuskonsumption”, following a 13 day caloric maintenance period, 5 male subjects ate bulking diets for a 9 days period. During this time, subjects gained an average of 7.04 pounds. 3.1 pounds of this gain was muscle mass. (Please note that this bulk followed a maintenance period, and not a cut)

That is a great point and an interesting study. Makes me wanna try a full Spike Week.

Also you are right about the excess calories automatically stored as fat, after I read my post I thought I just knocked Spike Day. I feel like the excess calories I have on Spike Day restore my glycogen first and foremeost and if I have anything left over I may get a bit of fat stored but I believe it's extremely minimal. I've read that well trained athletes that deplete glycogen on a regualr basis can stored very large amounts of glycogen, like upwards of 1000+ grams of glucose. I will look for that study. Also for every gram of of glycogen you store your body holds three tiems that weight in water. Well I gain about 10lbs on Spike Day, and it's gone within 48 hours; water weight.
If I did this too often so my glycogen was FULL and I kept eating excess calories then the fat storage would be an issue.

The hormonal effect of the Spike Day is very signifigant as shown with the above study.

I am not a scientist and many of these studies go over my head, but what I know is what I have tried on myself and I've tried many different types of diets and workouts and the Spike Diet is far above anything else I have ever done. It was easy and effective, and dieting has never been easy for me.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler97 View Post
I will look for that study. Also for every gram of of glycogen you store your body holds three tiems that weight in water. Well I gain about 10lbs on Spike Day, and it's gone within 48 hours; water weight.
If I did this too often so my glycogen was FULL and I kept eating excess calories then the fat storage would be an issue.

The hormonal effect of the Spike Day is very signifigant as shown with the above study.

I am not a scientist and many of these studies go over my head, but what I know is what I have tried on myself and I've tried many different types of diets and workouts and the Spike Diet is far above anything else I have ever done. It was easy and effective, and dieting has never been easy for me.
I'm not a scientist either. I try to read the works of people that interpret the studies.

I would like to add that when I have a cheat day, I gain upwards of 10 pounds in one day. And when I cheat...I CHEAT. When I go back to a lower calorie day, I spend my entire day urinating.

My wife is always amazed at my huge weight swings around major cheat days. 2 months ago I had a 48 day window where I lost 12.2 pounds on the scale.

While I've not adhered to the Spike diet yet, my old cutting plans were zig-zagged, and featured a major cheat day once a month or so. On my cheat days, I could eat 7-8000 calories or more.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
Mauler97
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
I'm not a scientist either. I try to read the works of people that interpret the studies.

I would like to add that when I have a cheat day, I gain upwards of 10 pounds in one day. And when I cheat...I CHEAT. When I go back to a lower calorie day, I spend my entire day urinating.

My wife is always amazed at my huge weight swings around major cheat days. 2 months ago I had a 48 day window where I lost 12.2 pounds on the scale.

While I've not adhered to the Spike diet yet, my old cutting plans were zig-zagged, and featured a major cheat day once a month or so. On my cheat days, I could eat 7-8000 calories or more.

Wow, we are very similar, when I see the crazy ads in the magaiznes say I lost 15lbs in one week I no longer doubt them as I have done the same. Those ads don't mention these guys gained 15 lbs before they did it though...

2 weekends ago my client bet me I couldn't eat 15,000 calories in the weekend so being a guy that loves a challenge I went ahead and force fed myself from Firday 3pm until Sunday night where I just "no mas" When I added up all the calories I had 18,000+ and 8K just on Saturday. That weekend I went from 218lbs on Friday to 235lbs on Sunday night. Like you I spent the next few days in the bathroom feeling like bloated cow, but amazingly my weight was back down by Friday morning. My wife gives me a hard time about how often I go to the bathroom too.

I tell my clients about this when they freak out over the scale. I say water is the "king of the scale" and we need to go by the mirror and how our clothes feel.
There is also a huge connection between carbs and water, which is why people drop weight so fast on low carb Atkins diets. I honeslty don't care about water weight,and I only would if I was in a competiton.

Thanks again for the invitation here, this is a great site and we can have real discussions without the "children" at bb.com.

I am really looking to add muscle now, do you have any studies on hormones and sleep. I read our biggest GH release comes within one hour of sleep. Well what if we split our sleep in half and took an hour nap during the day, would this double our GH release?

What about eating at night? again I've read contradictive statements, one saying we get a greater release when we don't eat for a couple of hours before, and yet some stating we need protein right before bed. I have been having the protein jsut before going down as I can't sleep when I'm hungry. I just want to find the best ways to naturally spike my GH and free test.