Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #41
titanxvx
New Brawn

titanxvx is off to a bad start
Default protein

When it comes to protein it's not where, but who the manufacturer is that matters. So many well known trusted brand companies are being bought out by large scale food suppliers like nestle and cargill. Your favorite brands can be purchased and reformulated (with the addition of cheap soy) and you won't even know it unless you read the fine print and or do some research. This will be the nature of the industry for a while.
If I had to suggest a where though it would be Costco over Walmart.
titanxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #42
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanxvx View Post
When it comes to protein it's not where, but who the manufacturer is that matters. So many well known trusted brand companies are being bought out by large scale food suppliers like nestle and cargill. Your favorite brands can be purchased and reformulated (with the addition of cheap soy) and you won't even know it unless you read the fine print and or do some research. This will be the nature of the industry for a while.
If I had to suggest a where though it would be Costco over Walmart.
As long as the ingredients list only Whey protein sources, you should be fine. I don't think the big manufacturers are lying about including soy protein in their products. After all, they claim it's "a healthy protein source".
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #43
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I know quality of ingredients, and the processes by which they are manufactured impacts the BV value. But honestly, when I look at a low-cost brand and a name brand, I don't know anything about quality of ingredients.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #44
titanxvx
New Brawn

titanxvx is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
As long as the ingredients list only Whey protein sources, you should be fine. I don't think the big manufacturers are lying about including soy protein in their products. After all, they claim it's "a healthy protein source".
I'm not a soy protein advocate and I'll spare you the very long explanation to justify that. It's allot of science and marketing.
It's not just a whey world. Marketing and labeling terms are effective and deceptive on purpose. You'll see the big bold print "Whey" and completely overlook the tiny word "blend". That's just one simple example.What I'm trying to say here is to not take any supplement at face value. Do your homework. Read the labels and know what your reading. If you don't know, ask. Or google it. Hopefully that's one of the reasons why most of us are at this forum. The supplement industry is a huge profitable market. Companies are bought, sold or absorbed everyday for brand recognition and unless your part of the industry you won't even hear about it.
Proper nutrition is the most important factor in a productive fitness/weightlifting regimen. It pays off to know exactly what your ingesting and not be deluded by hype. Or super cheap price.
And yes they do lie. Only a tiny tiny fraction of the end product is ever tested to confirm ingredients. And when it's all about profit the cheapest source is the best option. It's not just a problem in the supplement industry. It's common practice throughout the entire food industry.
titanxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #45
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I will add to Titan's statement on "blends". Whey is a fast digesting protein, and is good post-workout and first thing in the morning. If it is blend, it is "cut" with a slow digesting protein, making is less then optimal for those OCD about proper protein timing.

Me...I understand protein timing, but I've not sold on it's effectiveness nor simplicity.

For those keeping score at home, the basic premise behind fast digesting proteins like whey is that they get the body back into positive nitrogen balance when urgently needed...post-workout and in the morning.

I am not dismissing whey's effective offhand during these times on personal opinion, but I am skeptical based on personal experience.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #46
swoleramon
Uber Brawn

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

I never look at labels. But I will now. That blend issue is a good one.