Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Supplements and small advantages

Ok, here's a general question...how much of an advantage do you need for a supplement to provide before it becomes worthwhile for you?

If a supp like Xtend helps a little with DOMS, is it worth it?

If a test booster helps 1% with recovery, is it worth it?

What level of value and usefulness do you require before you make a supplement a staple?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I used pre-workout supps for a bit last year. They were fun and I felt energized, but after stopping them, I now feel even more proud of my work knowing what I am doing without them (which is more than I was doing with them). I took BCAAs for a while and didn't really notice anything different, so I dropped them.

For me, a supplement has to do something I can't do without it in order for me to keep it --and the effects have to be noticeable--like creatine or protein. And I have to feel with a great level of certainty, that I am not experiencing the placebo effect to boot.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

When it comes to supps, I am all about recovery. If a supp gives me a 0.5% recovery benefit, I use it.

I also love pre-workouts. The energy and focus really amps up my intensity, and fills in the gaps left by age and less than optimal sleep.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I found that I really don't have an immediate need for supplements but I do enjoy a good pre-workout supp every once in awhile and some BCAA's for recovery. Supplements are just that..supplements.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I am finding that I am addicted to pre-workout supplements and I need to take a break from them at some point. I was thinking of getting a pre-workout that is caffeine free to slowly get myself off of them for a while.

Other than that, I do not feel like I need any other supplements just lots of food and try to get good sleep.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
When it comes to supps, I am all about recovery. If a supp gives me a 0.5% recovery benefit, I use it.
Been thinking about this alot. How does one know that a supplement is giving a true advantage over a perceived one? At what point in experience should a trainee expect to properly understand themselves well enough to discern these (sometimes) subtle differences?

For someone with your experience (you know your body well and have your eating down), you can probably tell if something is working for you. But I think that most trainees underestimate the role the slight changes in eating and hydration can have on recovery, energy, etc.

I would bet that if I swapped out grape Crystal Light for most people's BCAAs they would still swear they were getting a recovery benefit.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
thumpinos
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts

I will take any advantage I can get, especially if I don't have to pay for it.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
therealmarcogalindo
therealmgalindo
Brawn
Points: 615, Level: 12 Points: 615, Level: 12 Points: 615, Level: 12
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFT.
Fav Supp: Protein.
therealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good poststherealmarcogalindo has made some very good posts

Supplements to me are just the icing on the cake. No supplement is gonna take you from a lil 130 pounds to 170 pounds of pure muscle like they try to make you beileve. Supplemets do help but only help to a finished product of hardcore training & a ton of food.

For me i take a quality p/w & some complex carbs/protein after the workout & leave it @ that, might add in some quality bcaa & creatine if my diet calls for it, but most everything else is a waste of money.
therealmarcogalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

personally, I only use the basics (creatine, protein, multi vitamin, and fish oil). These work well for me and always have. Every now and then I tend to stray out to try something new, just to check the hype. However, every beginner to lifting should watch Bigger, Faster, Stronger...then draw their conclusion from there...lol

Supplements are only their to fill in the gaps as someone pointed out earlier, not the end all.
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #10
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

I have always told beginners (even as a rep for a company) to train hard, eat smart, sleep alot, don't stress, and enjoy life. After you get those five things worked out then you can consider supps.

I also like anything that will help with recovery, especially now that I am cutting cals/carbs. I absolutely love ZMA (my company doesn't make it). It really helps me sleep, which is the other thing I really need help with.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote