Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Supplements and small advantages (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6413)

BendtheBar 06-01-2011 08:34 AM

Supplements and small advantages

Ok, here's a general question...how much of an advantage do you need for a supplement to provide before it becomes worthwhile for you?

If a supp like Xtend helps a little with DOMS, is it worth it?

If a test booster helps 1% with recovery, is it worth it?

What level of value and usefulness do you require before you make a supplement a staple?

MC 06-01-2011 09:16 AM

I used pre-workout supps for a bit last year. They were fun and I felt energized, but after stopping them, I now feel even more proud of my work knowing what I am doing without them (which is more than I was doing with them). I took BCAAs for a while and didn't really notice anything different, so I dropped them.

For me, a supplement has to do something I can't do without it in order for me to keep it --and the effects have to be noticeable--like creatine or protein. And I have to feel with a great level of certainty, that I am not experiencing the placebo effect to boot.

BendtheBar 06-01-2011 09:22 AM

When it comes to supps, I am all about recovery. If a supp gives me a 0.5% recovery benefit, I use it.

I also love pre-workouts. The energy and focus really amps up my intensity, and fills in the gaps left by age and less than optimal sleep.

dmaipa 06-01-2011 09:47 AM

I found that I really don't have an immediate need for supplements but I do enjoy a good pre-workout supp every once in awhile and some BCAA's for recovery. Supplements are just that..supplements.

jwood 06-01-2011 09:58 AM

I am finding that I am addicted to pre-workout supplements and I need to take a break from them at some point. I was thinking of getting a pre-workout that is caffeine free to slowly get myself off of them for a while.

Other than that, I do not feel like I need any other supplements just lots of food and try to get good sleep.

MC 06-02-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 141455)
When it comes to supps, I am all about recovery. If a supp gives me a 0.5% recovery benefit, I use it.

Been thinking about this alot. How does one know that a supplement is giving a true advantage over a perceived one? At what point in experience should a trainee expect to properly understand themselves well enough to discern these (sometimes) subtle differences?

For someone with your experience (you know your body well and have your eating down), you can probably tell if something is working for you. But I think that most trainees underestimate the role the slight changes in eating and hydration can have on recovery, energy, etc.

I would bet that if I swapped out grape Crystal Light for most people's BCAAs they would still swear they were getting a recovery benefit.

thumpinos 06-02-2011 02:28 PM

I will take any advantage I can get, especially if I don't have to pay for it.

therealmarcogalindo 06-03-2011 11:05 AM

Supplements to me are just the icing on the cake. No supplement is gonna take you from a lil 130 pounds to 170 pounds of pure muscle like they try to make you beileve. Supplemets do help but only help to a finished product of hardcore training & a ton of food.

For me i take a quality p/w & some complex carbs/protein after the workout & leave it @ that, might add in some quality bcaa & creatine if my diet calls for it, but most everything else is a waste of money.

Mr.Silverback 06-05-2011 08:46 PM

personally, I only use the basics (creatine, protein, multi vitamin, and fish oil). These work well for me and always have. Every now and then I tend to stray out to try something new, just to check the hype. However, every beginner to lifting should watch Bigger, Faster, Stronger...then draw their conclusion from there...lol

Supplements are only their to fill in the gaps as someone pointed out earlier, not the end all.

storm1507 06-06-2011 04:45 AM

I have always told beginners (even as a rep for a company) to train hard, eat smart, sleep alot, don't stress, and enjoy life. After you get those five things worked out then you can consider supps.

I also like anything that will help with recovery, especially now that I am cutting cals/carbs. I absolutely love ZMA (my company doesn't make it). It really helps me sleep, which is the other thing I really need help with.