Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #21
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

My 2 cents:

Musashi is a mostly overpriced and typical BBing supp company. But occasionally the supermarkets they sell their typical crap in have sales on slow moving stock.

About 10 months ago I bought a couple of bottles of Musashi 'muscle recovery' pills (BCAAs).

I can certify that, while taking the given dosage of these pills in morning and evening, I felt almost no DOMs while training.

I can also certify that, when the pills ran out, my DOMs returned in all the usual areas, almost instantly. As in, the day after I ran out, the DOMs were back. In appreciable force.

...so they do work.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #22
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn
Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic
Gaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributor

Great thread here, I've been toying with the idea of dropping Xtend from my order due to the price and not really noticing a major difference in using it. To be honest I'm still on the fence, I do take it because of what I have read and not because of how I feel.

As for pre-WO supps well that's different. I do notice a difference in my focus and concentration but due sides such as stomach cramps and the runs I tend to use them sparingly. I tend to stick to good old Red Bull half an hour before if I feel I need it.

I also use good quality whey protein, multi-vit and fish oil as well as joint support and as such I'm looking to trim my spending in this area a little so BCAAs look likely to go along with the pre-WO but for the amount I use I have a good few months worth stocked up.

"If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then find another program and enjoy your nice, easy training style. If you are serious about adding muscle to your frame, then get under the damn bar and make it happen"
Gaz6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #23
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Ok, here's a general question...how much of an advantage do you need for a supplement to provide before it becomes worthwhile for you?

If a supp like Xtend helps a little with DOMS, is it worth it?

If a test booster helps 1% with recovery, is it worth it?

What level of value and usefulness do you require before you make a supplement a staple?
The answer to these questions for me is YES. I mean that %1 can really make a difference in your traing. Recovery and an extra edge in the gym can make a huge impact. This is just a personal preference of course as some will dissagree.
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #24
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Ok, here's a general question...how much of an advantage do you need for a supplement to provide before it becomes worthwhile for you?

If a supp like Xtend helps a little with DOMS, is it worth it?

If a test booster helps 1% with recovery, is it worth it?

What level of value and usefulness do you require before you make a supplement a staple?
BCAA's (Xtend type products) even if you don't feel it helps you, I feel for the muscle preservation properties is is very important.

For a person younger then 25 I don't think a natural test booster will do much unless your naturally below normal levels. As you age and your levels naturaly drop, I feel they are worth it just for the extra drive in your workouts. (My product of choise is AAEFX Test Charge)

For me by staples very by if I'm in bulk or cut. My constant staple are any sup that helps me get the needs without getting the extra over weight from a food source. Making cutting a way to long or to much of a process.
Things like protein powder, Creatine (Kre-Alkalyn) and BCAA's.

I do have 2 staples do to my condition and age. They are Joint Rehab and the Test Charge.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #25
CLEEPER
Max Brawn
Points: 5,980, Level: 50 Points: 5,980, Level: 50 Points: 5,980, Level: 50
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: Classic
Fav Exercise: Behind the neck press
Fav Supp: Fusion 7 Protien
CLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
BCAA's (Xtend type products) even if you don't feel it helps you, I feel for the muscle preservation properties is is very important.

For a person younger then 25 I don't think a natural test booster will do much unless your naturally below normal levels. As you age and your levels naturaly drop, I feel they are worth it just for the extra drive in your workouts. (My product of choise is AAEFX Test Charge)

For me by staples very by if I'm in bulk or cut. My constant staple are any sup that helps me get the needs without getting the extra over weight from a food source. Making cutting a way to long or to much of a process.
Things like protein powder, Creatine (Kre-Alkalyn) and BCAA's.

I do have 2 staples do to my condition and age. They are Joint Rehab and the Test Charge.
I have done 3 cycles of test charge and I feel that it really helped me to recover and also drop weight on a cut but not lose any strength. It has been 4 months since I stopped and just ordered 2 more kits on the deal of the day promotion. At 39 years old, this stuff works in many beneficial ways.

I was using Extend for about the last 6 months, good stuff but just got some Recoup by dymatize in a package deal From Dymatize of Protein, Expand extreme pump and Recoup. This is my BCAA of choice now, I like it better then extend
Old 09-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #26
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEEPER View Post
I have done 3 cycles of test charge and I feel that it really helped me to recover and also drop weight on a cut but not lose any strength. It has been 4 months since I stopped and just ordered 2 more kits on the deal of the day promotion. At 39 years old, this stuff works in many beneficial ways.

I was using Extend for about the last 6 months, good stuff but just got some Recoup by dymatize in a package deal From Dymatize of Protein, Expand extreme pump and Recoup. This is my BCAA of choice now, I like it better then extend
Man, you don't look 39.

I've used Xtend for almost a year now. I recently picked up some Recoup. I've used it twice. First time I didn't like the taste. The 2nd time I liked it much more.
Either way, I think the science behind a BCAA supplementation is solid and whether one feels/sees the immediate benefit or not, it is a worthwhile supplement.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEEPER View Post

Glad to hear you had some good experiences with test boosters. I have as well. Nothing earth shattering but I notice an improvement in recovery, primarily with how I feel in the morning.

I haven't tried Test Charge though. Every time it comes on sale I am poor.

I am trying to move away from Xtend and give some other products a try.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #28
CLEEPER
Max Brawn

CLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beast

Quote:
Glad to hear you had some good experiences with test boosters. I have as well. Nothing earth shattering but I notice an improvement in recovery, primarily with how I feel in the morning.

I haven't tried Test Charge though. Every time it comes on sale I am poor.

I am trying to move away from Xtend and give some other products a try.
so far I am liking the Recoup. The jar that comes with the elite gourmet protien and expand is rather small so it wont last to long so i will have to see if they offer a bigger size. As for flavor and mixabilaty, its great. I also believe it has a good ratio also, cant recall what that is at the moment. will have to look on lable again.

I had pretty good results on Humano growth as well, best thing about that booster is SLEEP. I woke up feeling so rested even after 4 hrs with my crazy work schedule.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #29
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Nice info ITT. Don't have much experience with supps. Tried creatine quite some time back, and I would say there was may be 5-10% improvement in the lifts, so this probably works.

The only supp I am taking now is Body Fortress whey protein. I get it from Walmart, damn cheap and I use it mostly as a mid-afternoon snack and a post-workout shake. Good way to ingest some protein while at work in the middle of a hectic day.

I am trying to lean out a bit, so a couple of month down the line I might try some fat burners out there, but as of now I dont really have much idea whether they work, or which ones are good.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #30
CLEEPER
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Nice info ITT. Don't have much experience with supps. Tried creatine quite some time back, and I would say there was may be 5-10% improvement in the lifts, so this probably works.

The only supp I am taking now is Body Fortress whey protein. I get it from Walmart, damn cheap and I use it mostly as a mid-afternoon snack and a post-workout shake. Good way to ingest some protein while at work in the middle of a hectic day.

I am trying to lean out a bit, so a couple of month down the line I might try some fat burners out there, but as of now I dont really have much idea whether they work, or which ones are good.
I use to use bodyfortress and its an ok protien. it is one of the few that actually has creatine already in it. I think like 5 grams per scoop so you are taking creatine now using that brand of protien.