Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Post Workout Drink? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6347)

wevie 05-26-2011 11:49 AM

Post Workout Drink?

I have a quick question. I am lifting on Sun, Tues, and Thurs and doing cardio and abs on Mon and Wed.

I am still following the macro plan that someone here was so kind to figure up for me here. Anyway, I have been drinking a post workout drink each night after working out. What I got to wondering is since I am coming home after working out, should I skip the post workout drink on the days that I do cardio and abs as long as I make sure that I have my macros for the day before working out those days.

BendtheBar 05-26-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wevie (Post 140252)
I have a quick question. I am lifting on Sun, Tues, and Thurs and doing cardio and abs on Mon and Wed.

I am still following the macro plan that someone here was so kind to figure up for me here. Anyway, I have been drinking a post workout drink each night after working out. What I got to wondering is since I am coming home after working out, should I skip the post workout drink on the days that I do cardio and abs as long as I make sure that I have my macros for the day before working out those days.

I am not sure about any of the science behind this, but one thing I always try to do is to consume at least whey after any hard session - be it a workout, cardio or yard work.

I try to listen to what my body wants, and fuel it appropriately. If I feel depleted or drained, I feed as soon as possible.

Trevor Lane 05-26-2011 02:35 PM

speaking of protein shakes, I made a spectacular one this morning after my workout... 12 oz milk, 1 scoop whey, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, and 3 eggs. Yumm.

wevie 05-29-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Lane (Post 140288)
speaking of protein shakes, I made a spectacular one this morning after my workout... 12 oz milk, 1 scoop whey, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, and 3 eggs. Yumm.

This is something I drink a lot minus the eggs. I will have to try a few egg whites next time.

ONpump17 05-29-2011 08:56 PM

when I was putting on weight, I would make a shake for my breakfast. I've long forgotten the exact amounts, but the ingredients were:
olive oil
oats
chocolate whey protein
milk
either chocolate or soy milk
spinach
blueberries
peanut butter
2 eggs
banana

on fitday.com it rang in at 1008 calories. It was a large amount, hard to get down, but it started off my day well.

On the actual question, a number of strength gurus usually say the post-workout period is the most important time for your nutrition. It seems from your post that this is right before you sleep, if so you definitely should get something in your system after training/before sleep.

Ramirez 05-31-2011 11:20 AM

Drinks what you really mean by that ?
I take whey protein shake before work out regularly.

Aurik 05-31-2011 11:47 AM

I'll generally go with some whey + casein + carbs shortly after a workout to at least get something into my system, but that's just to tide me over until I can have a proper meal.

Abaddon 06-01-2011 10:27 AM

If you can drink whole milk, a litre of that PWO is almost a complete meal: about 30 grams of protein - which is ideal - some good fats and sugars. You can't go wrong.

And you can add all sorts of things from there, sure, but the litre or so of milk already = success.

IarnSmith 07-06-2011 05:25 AM

After workout we need some energy and that energy can be taken through protein shake. In my opinion protein shake is best drink after workout. You can also drink fruit juice after your workout because fruit juice has lot of vitamins which are good for body and energy.

Spartigus 07-06-2011 05:30 AM

Im a big fan of a liter of chocolate milk post workout :D