Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Oats (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6239)

strkout35 05-14-2011 03:51 PM

Oats

I've been looking into nutrition alot now that I'm home for summer and I can cook my own meals. I like oats and I hear they're really good for you so how do you guys incorporate oats?

Basically my only experience with oats is in oatmeal but I need some new ideas
:march::march::march:

dmaipa 05-14-2011 04:01 PM

protein pancakes!!!

gotta experiment with it a bit to get the right consistency you want..I've been addicted to protein pancakes. Some people put protein powder, but i don't have any so i usually just put in whole eggs and egg whites as my protein. Blend it all up with some peanut butter, banana in there..throw some vanilla extract and salt, and voila! you got yourself some pancake mix made out of oats

BendtheBar 05-14-2011 04:37 PM

My Favorite way is to scoop them into a bowl with water and microwave them. Once thy are done I add a scoop of whey and diced fruit, and maybe some whole milk when not trying to lose weight.

If you need to add some calories you could use a bit of heavy cream instead of whole milk.

You could also add Greek yogurt...

I also had a no bake protein bar recipe with oatmeal and whey. I can't recall the recipe, but if you Google no bake oatmeal protein bars you will find more than a few.

Chillen 05-14-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strkout35 (Post 137389)
I've been looking into nutrition alot now that I'm home for summer and I can cook my own meals. I like oats and I hear they're really good for you so how do you guys incorporate oats?

Basically my only experience with oats is in oatmeal but I need some new ideas
:march::march::march:

I generally get a little creative with Chocolate Whey Powder when trying to gain weight, and sometimes will blend one scoop of whey powder with a cup of milk, and then microwave a cup of old fashioned oats with water (water is fully absorbed) and mix these together for a chocolate treat (540c/60carbs/40pt/under 10 in fats). Sometimes I will add in some natty PB to up the fat content. Chocolate-whey/PB oatmeal rocks.

In addition, I will make Whey-Oatmeal cookies as well, if interested in the recipe let me know!

You can also add in raisins, cinamon, variety of fruit (like blue berries, bananas, stawberries, etc: Your just limited by your imagination when it comes to oats and what you like and dislike when adding in something.

strkout35 05-14-2011 04:59 PM

thanks for the replies, i'm liking the protein shake w/ oats idea, protein pancakes, and making the oatmeal with protein powder. All great ideas, should be fun experimenting

rippednmichigan 05-14-2011 05:15 PM

I pretty much do what everyone has listed already

Protein pancakes
protein bars
shakes (oats, water, whey and a blender):chow:
oats with a bit of cinnamon and equal

wesrman 05-14-2011 05:22 PM

Like Vitality i add protein powder, along with blueberries, almonds and sometimes honey. Ive also added them to shakes in the past.

Chillen 05-14-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesrman (Post 137401)
Like Vitality i add protein powder, along with blueberries, almonds and sometimes honey. Ive also added them to shakes in the past.

I assume its Anna's finger in the oats, to sweeten it up? :rockon:

bamazav 05-14-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitality! (Post 137395)

In addition, I will make Whey-Oatmeal cookies as well, if interested in the recipe let me know!

Cookies? did someone say cookies?

I would love the recipe.

wesrman 05-14-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitality! (Post 137419)
I assume its Anna's finger in the oats, to sweeten it up? :rockon:

;) U know it.