Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast
Default Intermitent Fasting........Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on this? Have you tried it or know any one who has?

I have been reading and researching about Lean Gains www.leangains.com the last couple of days and Martin Berkhan makes some very good points. There seems to be a lot of people who swear by this method.

So what are your thoughts?
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
BigTallOx
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippednmichigan View Post
So what are your thoughts?
My thoughts are:

1. Why?
2. No thank you!

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn

rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
My thoughts are:

1. Why?
2. No thank you!
If you check out Martin's plan it's really not all that different than a traditional diet. Your getting the same amount of macros in 8 hours and fasting for 16 hours. Roughly half of the fast you are sleeping any ways. This is obviously directed to fat loss also and not your every day power lifter.

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

Old 05-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

For bodybuilders I would recommend BCAAs during the underfeeding window. I also think you should be taking something like carb-less whey every couple of hours. That is what I do, and I maintain mass.

I have been using this eating style for 3 years and 400 cals + BCAAs during underfeeding works well for me.

I haven't read Leangains, but I have read other authorities on the topics (Ori Hofmekler and Iron Addict). Ori recommends protein during the underfeeding and IA at least BCAAs.

For fat loss it is incredible. Best system I have found, especially for big night eaters. I ran a 2 month experiment with only 100 cals of protein in the underfeeding and lose 48 pounds, 7 of it muscle.

For anyone post-super hormones (early 20's), I would definitely add in carb-free whey and BCAAs. My opinion, but a strong one. Mileage may vary.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

That word scares me...

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
For bodybuilders I would recommend BCAAs during the underfeeding window. I also think you should be taking something like carb-less whey every couple of hours. That is what I do, and I maintain mass.

I have been using this eating style for 3 years and 400 cals + BCAAs during underfeeding works well for me.

I haven't read Leangains, but I have read other authorities on the topics (Ori Hofmekler and Iron Addict). Ori recommends protein during the underfeeding and IA at least BCAAs.

For fat loss it is incredible. Best system I have found, especially for big night eaters. I ran a 2 month experiment with only 100 cals of protein in the underfeeding and lose 48 pounds, 7 of it muscle.

For anyone post-super hormones (early 20's), I would definitely add in carb-free whey and BCAAs. My opinion, but a strong one. Mileage may vary.
Martin does say to take BCAA's upon waking and every 2 hours during the fast. Thanks for the insight Steve. I will check out IA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
That word scares me...
lol G

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippednmichigan View Post
Martin does say to take BCAA's upon waking and every 2 hours during the fast.
If muscle mass is critical I would watch weight with a caliper every week for 4 weeks and add whey if needed.

As Iron Addict states, everyone is different. Lean Gains or IF will work well for some as is, but some (like me) will lose crazy muscle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I have had a couple of friends if mine try it when leaning down, and it had worked pretty well for them within their lifestyle.

Personally, I like setting up a 24 hour perimeter time line when leaning down, eating normally, while setting up an initial calorie deficit and macro arrangement (with carbs a little below normal). As BF drops, and nears (10), I still keep the 24 hour time line, but switch to Lyle McDonald's depletion workout and dietary sets (though personally modified, because I do not have to fully deplete). Though its not fun toward the end, being able to eat basically twice calorie maintenance (with twice the amount of carbs--as stores fill the first 24 hours or so, as the body overcompensates)--is a lot of fun and something to look forward to when dieting to lose fat tissue (and get to see the science at work).

Personally, I haven't tried it (because I don't like the 16 hour fasting period, though 8 of this period is sleeping hours).

Vitality!

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I have been eating IF manner since November. It fits nicely with my lifestyle, never have been much of a breakfast person. I haven't seen the fat loss BTB saw but have also not seen the energy or strength losses either. I prefer to train fasted as a rule so it fits well with me.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
I have been eating IF manner since November. It fits nicely with my lifestyle, never have been much of a breakfast person. I haven't seen the fat loss BTB saw but have also not seen the energy or strength losses either. I prefer to train fasted as a rule so it fits well with me.
Cool deal Bam, thanks for the input.

Pure-Potent-Drug Free