Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Intermitent Fasting........Thoughts? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6234)

rippednmichigan 05-14-2011 10:34 AM

Intermitent Fasting........Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on this? Have you tried it or know any one who has?

I have been reading and researching about Lean Gains www.leangains.com the last couple of days and Martin Berkhan makes some very good points. There seems to be a lot of people who swear by this method.

So what are your thoughts?

BigTallOx 05-14-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippednmichigan (Post 137319)
So what are your thoughts?

My thoughts are:

1. Why?
2. No thank you!

rippednmichigan 05-14-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTallOx (Post 137320)
My thoughts are:

1. Why?
2. No thank you!

If you check out Martin's plan it's really not all that different than a traditional diet. Your getting the same amount of macros in 8 hours and fasting for 16 hours. Roughly half of the fast you are sleeping any ways. This is obviously directed to fat loss also and not your every day power lifter.

BendtheBar 05-14-2011 10:51 AM

For bodybuilders I would recommend BCAAs during the underfeeding window. I also think you should be taking something like carb-less whey every couple of hours. That is what I do, and I maintain mass.

I have been using this eating style for 3 years and 400 cals + BCAAs during underfeeding works well for me.

I haven't read Leangains, but I have read other authorities on the topics (Ori Hofmekler and Iron Addict). Ori recommends protein during the underfeeding and IA at least BCAAs.

For fat loss it is incredible. Best system I have found, especially for big night eaters. I ran a 2 month experiment with only 100 cals of protein in the underfeeding and lose 48 pounds, 7 of it muscle.

For anyone post-super hormones (early 20's), I would definitely add in carb-free whey and BCAAs. My opinion, but a strong one. Mileage may vary.

gaspers04 05-14-2011 10:55 AM

That word scares me...

rippednmichigan 05-14-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 137329)
For bodybuilders I would recommend BCAAs during the underfeeding window. I also think you should be taking something like carb-less whey every couple of hours. That is what I do, and I maintain mass.

I have been using this eating style for 3 years and 400 cals + BCAAs during underfeeding works well for me.

I haven't read Leangains, but I have read other authorities on the topics (Ori Hofmekler and Iron Addict). Ori recommends protein during the underfeeding and IA at least BCAAs.

For fat loss it is incredible. Best system I have found, especially for big night eaters. I ran a 2 month experiment with only 100 cals of protein in the underfeeding and lose 48 pounds, 7 of it muscle.

For anyone post-super hormones (early 20's), I would definitely add in carb-free whey and BCAAs. My opinion, but a strong one. Mileage may vary.

Martin does say to take BCAA's upon waking and every 2 hours during the fast. Thanks for the insight Steve. I will check out IA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 137332)
That word scares me...

lol G

BendtheBar 05-14-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippednmichigan (Post 137335)
Martin does say to take BCAA's upon waking and every 2 hours during the fast.

If muscle mass is critical I would watch weight with a caliper every week for 4 weeks and add whey if needed.

As Iron Addict states, everyone is different. Lean Gains or IF will work well for some as is, but some (like me) will lose crazy muscle.

Chillen 05-14-2011 11:22 AM

I have had a couple of friends if mine try it when leaning down, and it had worked pretty well for them within their lifestyle.

Personally, I like setting up a 24 hour perimeter time line when leaning down, eating normally, while setting up an initial calorie deficit and macro arrangement (with carbs a little below normal). As BF drops, and nears (10), I still keep the 24 hour time line, but switch to Lyle McDonald's depletion workout and dietary sets (though personally modified, because I do not have to fully deplete). Though its not fun toward the end, being able to eat basically twice calorie maintenance (with twice the amount of carbs--as stores fill the first 24 hours or so, as the body overcompensates)--is a lot of fun and something to look forward to when dieting to lose fat tissue (and get to see the science at work).

Personally, I haven't tried it (because I don't like the 16 hour fasting period, though 8 of this period is sleeping hours).

Vitality!

bamazav 05-14-2011 11:51 AM

I have been eating IF manner since November. It fits nicely with my lifestyle, never have been much of a breakfast person. I haven't seen the fat loss BTB saw but have also not seen the energy or strength losses either. I prefer to train fasted as a rule so it fits well with me.

rippednmichigan 05-14-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 137345)
I have been eating IF manner since November. It fits nicely with my lifestyle, never have been much of a breakfast person. I haven't seen the fat loss BTB saw but have also not seen the energy or strength losses either. I prefer to train fasted as a rule so it fits well with me.

Cool deal Bam, thanks for the input.