Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor
Default Casein Protein

About 3 weeks ago, I ran out of Whey Protein. Since I didn't have any money to buy more, I decided I would just drink my casein protein after I lift and see what happens. I just wanted to start this thread to share some results and maybe start a discussion.

In the weeks that I have been drinking my casein protein instead of whey after my workouts (and making a few changes in my workouts), I have seen almost immediate results. My girlfriend, mother, and people at school have began to start commenting on changes in my physique. I decided to measure to see if they were just being nice, or if there were noticeable changes.

In my arms alone, I have seen 1/2 inch growth. I have close to a full inch in each leg! In the mirror, there is definitely a noticeable difference in my chest, shoulders, and back. I am attributing this to drinking my casein protein after my workout instead of whey.

This is more to start conversation, and not bragging. I am considering sticking with casein full time instead of switching back to whey.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Very insightful post Andy. It's good to hear this is working better for you.

Are you drinking any casein before bed, or just post-workout? And what do your whole foods meals look like post-workout?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
andys_trim
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

I drink it after my workout and before bed. Also I forgot to mention that it is mixed with whole milk. I eat almonds also post workout. I don't eat anything else until after my class. Then I usually eat chicken or steak with some veggies.

My main reason for posting this is because I've always been told. Whey = fast release. Casein = slow release. After your workout, you want whey so the protein will get to your muscles fast. If you don't do that, then you are wasting your time. And now my results are sort of contradicting that.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out

Last edited by andys_trim; 04-25-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
I drink it after my workout and before bed. Also I forgot to mention that it is mixed with whole milk. I eat almonds also post workout. I don't eat anything else until after my class. Then I usually eat chicken or steak with some veggies.

My main reason for posting this is because I've always been told. Whey = fast release. Casein = slow release. After your workout, you want whey so the protein will get to your muscles fast. If you don't do that, then you are wasting your time. And now my results are sort of contradicting that.
I read somewhere recently that the whole whey = fast release and casein = slow release idea that we often see marketed is a bit exageratted. Particularly in regard to casien. Pretty much (according to what I read) the idea that Casien is slow in the sense that it can take hours upon hours to digest is really a misconception.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Good job with your progress.

Oh one other thing, correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the drawback to casien vs. whey, would be the price, would it not?
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

You can take in fats with your whey and it will slow down to be almost the same as casein. Personally casein digests so slow the Lucien in it that triggers protein synthesis in your body, never hits 3grams (the level needed to trigger it) so I will keep to the whey. Are you sure the results ain't due to nutrition changes or hitting the weights more intense? Gains like that can not what so ever be contributed to 1 change.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
You can take in fats with your whey and it will slow down to be almost the same as casein. Personally casein digests so slow the Lucien in it that triggers protein synthesis in your body, never hits 3grams (the level needed to trigger it) so I will keep to the whey. Are you sure the results ain't due to nutrition changes or hitting the weights more intense? Gains like that can not what so ever be contributed to 1 change.
My only nutrition change is adding a whole bunch of whole milk and cheese. My changes in training have been adding super sets to my workouts. Maybe all 3 are working together to jump start some gains.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
My only nutrition change is adding a whole bunch of whole milk and cheese. My changes in training have been adding super sets to my workouts. Maybe all 3 are working together to jump start some gains.
Super sets alone will make a huge diffrence. Maybe take the same lay out but with whey and keep logs. Dont rule out whey with a unbalanced test.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I read somewhere recently that the whole whey = fast release and casein = slow release idea that we often see marketed is a bit exageratted. Particularly in regard to casien. Pretty much (according to what I read) the idea that Casien is slow in the sense that it can take hours upon hours to digest is really a misconception.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Good job with your progress.

Oh one other thing, correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the drawback to casien vs. whey, would be the price, would it not?
I got a 5 pound tub of casein for $40. So it isn't that bad.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
I got a 5 pound tub of casein for $40. So it isn't that bad.
No, that's not bad at all.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Thats great progress andy, and good post!