Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How many carbs? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5941)

wevie 04-22-2011 09:53 PM

How many carbs?

So I have a question about my diet. How many grams of fat, carbs, and protein should I be eating a day?

As I said in the other thread I created, I am looking to cut some fat first and foremost and then or in the process, build some more muscle mass. I am eating 2300 calories a day right now to see how that goes. I have been eating about 200 grams of protein, 50-55 gram of fat, and my carbs have varied between 170 and 290.

What should I be eating?

I am 5'11", 197lbs, and 33 years old.

BendtheBar 04-22-2011 10:08 PM

Your percentages look reasonable Wevie. Proteins, fats and carbs all look good.

After the first week, look for a 1.5 to 2 pound loss per week and adjust calories and carbs as needed.

Are you curious as to what type of carb foods you should be eating?

wevie 04-22-2011 10:17 PM

Ya, that could be helpful too. So far, most of my carbs have came from multi-grain bread, peanut butter, and oatmeal. I did have some brown rice today too with my salmon.

I know that sugar is not very good of course. If I eat rice, it should be brown, the bread should not be white. Potatoes are better sweet.

What else is good?

Carl1174 04-23-2011 03:48 AM

Here is a good list of the kind of foods you should be eating buddy.

Protein:

* Tuna or most any fish.
* Cottage cheese.
* Eggs (especially the whites).
* Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
* Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
* Lean beef.
* Low fat or no fat cheese.
* Low fat pork.
* Milk protein isolate.
* Whey protein.
* Soy protein.
* Essentially most any other source of protein so long as it is low in saturated fat and carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates:

* Sweet potatoes.
* Oat meal, oat bran, oat bran cereal (i.e. cheerios).
* Bran cereal.
* Brown rice.
* Wheat bread (try to limit to 2 slices per day).
* Beans.
* Low fat popcorn (low fat butter spray makes this a delicacy).
* Fruits (limit to 2-3 servings per day).
* Malto dextrin (during workout).
* Dextrose (during workout)
* Vegetables.
* Stay away from refined grains and anything that says “enriched” or “high fructose corn syrup” on the label!

Fat:

* Omega 3 capsules (i.e. fish oil capsules).
* Flax seed oil.
* Primrose oil.
* Borage oil.
* Olive oil.
* Nuts (limit to 1 serving per day), peanut butter (as long as it does not contain hydrogenated oils).
* Egg yolks.
* Fish (salmon especially).
* All other fat should come as a by-product of your carbohydrate and protein intake.

hope this helps

Carl.

BendtheBar 04-23-2011 07:08 AM

Fats are difficult for many. I will also add seeds and nuts, butter, whole milk, and sour cream. Obviously when cutting these foods are limited.

Almonds are probably the easiest way for me to add fats on a cut.

Rich Knapp 04-23-2011 08:10 AM

You are taking a Macro Plan. First step will be to find you Body Fat and calculate out your Lean Body Mass.
Until you know your LBM it is only at best a guessing game. Then find you cals to ether maintain ,cut or gain. The in cutting you fats should be around 25% caloric intake, pro's= 45% ,carbs= 30%.
Almonds are as Steve wrought one of or best way to get the good fats for more than one reason. Then Natural Peanut butter but this has more carbs and will cut into the foods for other meals.

Eating 80% of your carbs before Late afternoon will give you energy for working out. Then later meals the last 20% and most to all fats and protein will have your body burning carbs for fuel. Then when it runs out of carbs it searches for the stores (fats). There is a difference between fats you eat and your bodies fat stores. ;)

wevie 04-23-2011 08:40 AM

Sorry I forgot to list that. My body fat percentage is 19.8%.

I am also working out at night from around 10pm to 12am or a little later. I do this because I am home during the day with my daughter, wife comes home from work in the evening, and starting next month, I have class from 5:30pm to 8:30pm. Not only that, but I almost never have to wait for a bench or the rack.

I don't know if that effects when I should eat what but thought I would let you know.

Rich Knapp 04-23-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wevie (Post 132258)
Sorry I forgot to list that. My body fat percentage is 19.8%.

I am also working out at night from around 10pm to 12am or a little later. I do this because I am home during the day with my daughter, wife comes home from work in the evening, and starting next month, I have class from 5:30pm to 8:30pm. Not only that, but I almost never have to wait for a bench or the rack.

I don't know if that effects when I should eat what but thought I would let you know.

I will run the numbers and post by monday night. ;)

wevie 04-23-2011 06:17 PM

Thanks so much.

wevie 04-23-2011 08:30 PM

Another question. Do I need to be drinking the Xtend with the amino acids and creatine on days I do not work out?