Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   beta alanine? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565)

jwood 08-24-2009 06:46 PM

beta alanine?
 
Does anyone on here take beta alanine, I was debating adding it to my new supplement stack which consists of stim x and whey protein. I am not sure exactly the best way to take it but it seems fairly cheap in bulk.

also is there a difference between cheap pure beta alanine like gnc's brand and some of the more expensive ones like biotests' beta 7??

I am not sure if there is any research on beta alanine and I have never taken the pure form, does anyone have any info on beta alanine?

BendtheBar 08-24-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 3533)
Does anyone on here take beta alanine, I was debating adding it to my new supplement stack which consists of stim x and whey protein. I am not sure exactly the best way to take it but it seems fairly cheap in bulk.

also is there a difference between cheap pure beta alanine like gnc's brand and some of the more expensive ones like biotests' beta 7??

I am not sure if there is any research on beta alanine and I have never taken the pure form, does anyone have any info on beta alanine?

I did an article on beta alanine. I know that the results reveal that it is most effective when taken longer then 10 weeks...so basically, long term it's benefits look somewhat promising.

Here's a a comment from the article I wrote:

Quote:

Studies show that beta-alanine raises muscle carnosine composition. During exercise, beta-alanine produced carnosine assists the body in buffering acid in muscle tissue, delaying fatigue and improving performance.

Current studies indicate that beta-alanine increases muscle mass and strength. It has also been shown that beta-alanine increases aerobic and anaerobic endurance. Simply put, beta-alanine allows you to train longer with more weight.

Beta-alanine appears to be most effective after 10 weeks of continuous supplementation.
Personally, beta alanine is a fairly straight forward supplement. I would be leery of a brand that has too many bells and whistles, or that costs too much.

Link => Primordial Performance sells 300 grams for only $12.99 at BB.com

I check IPYU, but can't find a lower cost brand.

jwood 08-24-2009 08:17 PM

alright thanks MAB but how do you suggest taking it, just as a part of pre-workout or should it be taken throughout the day?

Also do you have a link to your article? I would like to read it if possible.

BendtheBar 08-25-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 3540)
alright thanks MAB but how do you suggest taking it, just as a part of pre-workout or should it be taken throughout the day?

Also do you have a link to your article? I would like to read it if possible.

It's more of an article stub then a full-blown article:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/2009/06/about-beta-alanine/

I would take small dosages, split up throughout the day. Anywhere from 4-6 daily dosages. And take it with food...most likely with every daily feeding you have.

You could take 1 gram with every meal. That would give you 4-6 grams per day, which is right in line with the recommended dosage of 3.2 to 6.4 grams per day. And this way, 300 grams would last you nearly 2 months.

Quote:

A recent study showed that a group of subjects taking Beta-Alanine with carbohydrates increased performance gains in half the time of the group taking an equal amount of beta-alanine without carbohydrates. Carbohydrates spike insulin and one of insulinís effects is to increase amino acid (such as beta-alanine) transport into our cells.

swoleramon 08-25-2009 07:03 AM

:ditto: That's how I was told to take it.

rippednmichigan 08-25-2009 07:45 AM

I have bulk 1600mg tab's from nutraplanet, I love the feeling this gives you, it's like the felling off NO. I take 1600mg's before and after workout.

bwys61 08-25-2009 11:51 AM

FYI, Vitamin Shoppe is much cheaper than GNC(even if you use the gold card)

jwood 08-25-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwys61 (Post 3569)
FYI, Vitamin Shoppe is much cheaper than GNC(even if you use the gold card)

Not if one of your friends works at gnc :p, but I definitely agree I usually order stuff online and in a pinch I go to vitamin shoppe, thanks.

bwys61 09-01-2009 09:46 PM

I remember those days too. now my connection is elsewhere.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 3572)
Not if one of your friends works at gnc :p, but I definitely agree I usually order stuff online and in a pinch I go to vitamin shoppe, thanks.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.