Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   If im getting my protein ,why use a supplement? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5556)

davv777 02-28-2011 10:45 PM

If im getting my protein ,why use a supplement?

:thrasher:If im getting my protein ,why use a supplement? A little more background--For 2 months i have started a weight loss program that includes watching my calories using my BMR and working each muscle group 3 times a week. I figured out with my weight i need about 105 gram of protein.If im getting this in my diet already WHY TAKE A WHEY PROTIEN SHAKE THAT CONTAINS 26 GRAMS PROTEIN AFTER MY WORKOUTS? Please let me know

Mombow111 02-28-2011 11:07 PM

A. Convenience - Easy to make/eat
B. High protein content with little fats/carbs
C. Faster for your body to absorb

What it boils down to is do you like the way protein shakes taste? If you buy economically priced protein powders, generally you'll get more bang for your buck in terms of protein content then you do for most meats (say for bulk chicken/eggs), and be able to take your protein in something which alludes to a milkshake. Do you need to take it, absolutely not, will you see better results with it- probably not significantly better unless you're using it to increase your overall protein intake to a more ideal level. Personally I buy cheap ass chicken and eggs and use protein powder sparingly, typically to sweeten my oatmeal (eggs in oatmeal get boring real fast), but whether it's worth it is a matter of personal taste.

andys_trim 02-28-2011 11:43 PM

This isn't answering your question but your protein intake is low for being on a weight loss program...IMO.

Abaddon 03-01-2011 12:06 AM

short answer is: IF you are getting enough protein from your diet (and I don't think you are) then you don't need a protein shake, no. Especially since you're just starting.

Though from the perspective of someone trying to lose weight, a protein shake may be a good thing for you - consider it a VLC 'diet shake', and take it post workout.

I'd need to know more RE your height, weight, etc etc.
AND training a muscle or muscle group 3 times a week is not smart. Could you please explain what exercise routine you're running??

andys_trim 03-01-2011 12:11 AM

Maybe its a full body workout...

Abaddon 03-01-2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andys_trim (Post 119955)
Maybe its a full body workout...

ah, this is true. All the more reason to ask for further info on the OPs routine.

BendtheBar 03-01-2011 12:25 PM

He is not spamming guys. You own him an apology.

The links are auto-generated from the forum. No one can spam here. I have it blocked.

My apologies Davv777.

andys_trim 03-01-2011 12:28 PM

Let me apologize for assuming that you were spamming. It was inconsiderate of me. We try to help any way possible around here, and I was acting like a jerk. Sorry, man.

BendtheBar 03-01-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andys_trim (Post 120096)
Let me apologize for assuming that you were spamming. It was inconsiderate of me. We try to help any way possible around here, and I was acting like a jerk. Sorry, man.

Thanks Andy.

Carl1174 03-01-2011 12:35 PM

To answer the OP's question. No one NEEDS a supplement, they are just there to 'supplement' a diet. They are sometime easier/more convienient that whole food all the time.

If your diet is good enought then i dont think you need them (except perhaps a mulit vitamin and whey after workout as it is digeted quicker. That being said you could just drink milk PWO too :))

Carl.