Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
PaintedSoul
Brawn
Points: 250, Level: 4 Points: 250, Level: 4 Points: 250, Level: 4
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: Not Much
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Hang and Press
Fav Supp: Jack3d
PaintedSoul is off to a bad start
Default Protein Sources

I am new here so please forgive me if I post something that has been previously covered in another thread.

I have a question on different protein sources. Can our bodies really tell the difference? I understand that some will break down faster than others, but will my body really use one type of protein more completely than another?

I get most of my daily protein from eggs, milk and meat, but I also get a substantial amount (30+ grams) from grains and vegetables. My normal lunch is 8oz of chicken breast with either 1 cup of rice or 1cup of beans. Am I wasting my time eating the beans (because I don't particularly like them anyway)?

I have tried to read up on the subject myself, but am having trouble finding reliable information.
PaintedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Food proteins are always best. Powder supplements help with getting in the extra grams without the since of overeating and pure convenience. I personally use a whey/casein blend throughout the day with meals, whey post workout and casein right before bed. I also aim for 1-1.5gr per approximate lean body weight. This is what I use and it seems to work for me. Im no expert by any means, check around and get all the input that you can.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedSoul View Post
I am new here so please forgive me if I post something that has been previously covered in another thread.

I have a question on different protein sources. Can our bodies really tell the difference? I understand that some will break down faster than others, but will my body really use one type of protein more completely than another?

I get most of my daily protein from eggs, milk and meat, but I also get a substantial amount (30+ grams) from grains and vegetables. My normal lunch is 8oz of chicken breast with either 1 cup of rice or 1cup of beans. Am I wasting my time eating the beans (because I don't particularly like them anyway)?

I have tried to read up on the subject myself, but am having trouble finding reliable information.
The answer to your first question is ...NO. Your body does not have a meat, bean, milk or egg detector. However, that being said, your body can benefit more from some proteins over others. You want to use the most complete protein as possible. Most vegetable proteins are incomplete proteins, not having the same amino make up of your animal based proteins. Before ABs jumps in, soy is considered one of the most complete of the veggie proteins. I advocate getting your protein from a variety of good sources. You would have to eat a ton of beans to get enough without any supps or animal proteins. You are doing right eating a variety. It makes eating more enjoyable and will help keep you on task. If you find you are not getting enough protein, take Gasper's advise and use a good protein supplement.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Different protein foods have different amino acid profiles. They also carry different vitamin and mineral profiles. It helps somewhat to have a little variety, but there is no need to get overly crazy.

Get it natural and tasty And fill in the cracks with protein supps when you don't feel like cooking, or don't have the time or money. While meat isn't always expensive, making it taste good can be.

Regarding supplements...You don't need to supplement protein and get "fast digesting whey" or whatever, but they can be very convenient, save time, and save money.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
PaintedSoul
Brawn

Thank You

I just dont hear much about vegetables as a protein source unless I look on vegan sites. I do try to mix my protein sources, but I am primarily a carnivore.

I only drink about a half scoop of whey a day.

My after workout shake is
1/2 cup of 2% or whole milk
1/2 cup of soy milk
1/2 scoop of whey
2 egg whites and 2 whole eggs

I usually eat a banana or a grapefruit with it also.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

There are 8 essential amino acids, or amino acids that can't be produced naturally by the body. Vegetarian diets can get in these essentials, but from what I understand they have to be much more precise about meal planning.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
PaintedSoul
Brawn

From what I have read, here and elsewhere, egg protein is one of the best sources of these 8 amino acids. Is that correct?