Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Food Addictions

Hi, my name is Steve and I am a food addict. Seriously.

Growing up, we had very little money. Usually the last 14-20 days of the month we ate bologna and cheese sandwiches on white bread because that is all my mother could afford. We had soup sometimes to go with it, but not always. Breakfast was usually a bowl of cereal.

In any case, no need to queue the violins. My point is this...

As a result, we rarely had good tasting food around the house. The rare occasions when we had cookies, chips or even tacos, we would eat like fiends.

I still struggle with this issue, but now that I have money, it's harder to battle. Mentally something is broken in my head, and when tasty food is around my internal mechanisms signal me to eat and eat and eat until it is all gone.

If ice cream or chips are brought into the house, I can't stop thinking about them until they are completely gone.

This might sound like hooey to you, but it's a constant battle. We have to monitor what we bring into the house. I have pretty decent willpower until I taste just one, and them the game begins.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi, my name is Steve and I am a food addict. Seriously.

Growing up, we had very little money. Usually the last 14-20 days of the month we ate bologna and cheese sandwiches on white bread because that is all my mother could afford. We had soup sometimes to go with it, but not always. Breakfast was usually a bowl of cereal.

In any case, no need to queue the violins. My point is this...

As a result, we rarely had good tasting food around the house. The rare occasions when we had cookies, chips or even tacos, we would eat like fiends.

I still struggle with this issue, but now that I have money, it's harder to battle. Mentally something is broken in my head, and when tasty food is around my internal mechanisms signal me to eat and eat and eat until it is all gone.

If ice cream or chips are brought into the house, I can't stop thinking about them until they are completely gone.

This might sound like hooey to you, but it's a constant battle. We have to monitor what we bring into the house. I have pretty decent willpower until I taste just one, and them the game begins.
Change the name from Steve to Jeff, and I could have written most of this post as well.

To make matters worse, we have a local ice cream company that makes the best DAMN ice cream EVER!! Bluebell ice cream is DABOMB!! Mint chocolate chip, I'll stab you for the last bowl if you try to take it. I'm not joking.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Hubby deals with similar issues. Due to the kidney failure at 13y/o, he had to go on a diet of: 15g of protein a day; mostly salad stuffs and sugar; carbs that were protein free (so, no peas etc). And that was his diet for 6 years.

And now, it's a nightmare if he is presented with salad foods, though he's not as bad as he was...but meat/eggs/cheese, he still craves and eats too much off them at times.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I know what you mean. Now that my girl is back in town there is a much more of a battle going on. Before, I bought what i needed and it was the usual chicken, eggs, beef, oats, brown rice, etc. Since she's back, we got the pastas, cheese, snacks that she brought back from Hawaii which are my favorite! ice cream, and on and on.

I feel ya on this one BTB, it is a constant struggle especially when i open my freezer to grab my frozen veggies and see Mint Chocolate Chip Ice cream!! I'm not gonna try and make her change your lifestyle just because im prepping for a contest. What makes it worse is that I usually cook the food for her haha, and it smells frickin awesome compared to my Chicken and Veggies.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My wife has the uncanny ability to sit down and eat 5 chips or a 1/2 cup of ice cream. she helps me by bringing in chip and ice cream flavors that don't appeal to me.

When I do need to binge, I eat cold pickles, tomatoes and chew gum. I can tear up salted tomatoes as well as pickles. It's normal for me to eat a jar of pickles every night.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I did get upset with my girlfriend because she bought some oreos, and doesn't even like oreos!! I can throw down the whole box with some milk! but luckily it was for an event she is having with her friends...she's lucky haha

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Oh hai! My name is Christine, and I'm a food addict.

I struggled with this for years...and at times, I still struggle with it. Just not as much as before. You just have to teach yourself moderation and balance. It's difficult and doesn't come right away, that's for sure.

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
I can throw down the whole box with some milk!
^ I'm in that club.

Back a few years ago before I returned to the iron, my wife would but ice cream and chips. I would kill a large dinner, then eat the entire bag of chips, and finishing by destroying all the ice cream.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Chips are my weakness. I'm so happy watching football and eating a family sized bag of chips
bigtim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim27 View Post
Chips are my weakness. I'm so happy watching football and eating a family sized bag of chips
Same here, and it there's dip left I will eat the bag too!