Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
octoman
Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

octoman is off to a bad start
Default Muscle building and vegetarianism

New to the forum and need some help. My wife has taken a serious interest in vegetarianism, and I know very little about it and have some questions. First do you know if it's healthy, or what some of the health drawbacks are? Second, if healthy can you build muscle on a vegetarian diet?

Thank you
octoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Is vegan healthy?

I like tomato's and lettuce on my burger, and I've never had a problem with it.

A lot of the animals I eat survive on grass, and other grain type foods. They seemed healthy enough for me to eat them.

OK.

Can a vegan build muscle?

Their have been bodybuilders who were vegans. To what exact extant I can't tell you. Being vegan is not something I have really ever entertained. I like meat!!

A lot of people talk up Soy as a wonder food, but I can find plenty of info bout Soy that says it is not all that great.

Here is a very good site about nutrition. It is large, and will require some of your time to get through all the topics that they present.

The Weston A. Price Foundation

I'll add this. Nobody should just stop eating protein, and take up a vegan lifestyle until they truely understand amino acids, and how your body works.

Living as a vegan requires a lot of education to eat properly.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I have experienced this first hand. The head strength coach at the college i used to work at became vegan. At the beginning he mentioned it was hard to figure out what exactly to eat but then he became very educated on the subject. But something that he did realize and admit was that although he feels really healthy and good, his strength levels has gone down and he has loss some muscle mass due to the diet. He still is in good shape but mentioned that he was much bigger and stronger when he was eating meat as his protein source but he would rather settle for being "healthy"

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

There are differences between vegan and being vegetarian. Vegetarians can still drink milk, eat eggs, and still have a decent amount of options for protein (tofu, beans, etc.). Drawbacks would definitely be just always having to find other options to eat. Friends going to a burger place? You probably cant join them. If you plan it right and really research being vegetarian it's healthy. As far as building muscle on it, I don't know enough to give you a great answer but I'm sure its much harder than people who can eat meat.

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoman View Post
New to the forum and need some help. My wife has taken a serious interest in vegetarianism, and I know very little about it and have some questions. First do you know if it's healthy, or what some of the health drawbacks are? Second, if healthy can you build muscle on a vegetarian diet?

Thank you
Not healthy. Not muscle building. Humans are by design carnivorous, we have prey targeting front facing eyes and sharp teeth for tearing chunks of meat. In fact, you would be healthier swearing of all vegetation than you would being vegetarian. Also, soy will literally turn you into a bitch.

Here is some further reading on how awesome it is to be a carnivore and how crappy vegetarianism is for humans:

ISPUB - Isoflavone Rich Soy Protein Supplementation For Postmenopausal Therapy

Go Paleo: The Science of the Paleolithic Diet

Dynamic DNS for your IP AddressError

My recommendation is to get your wife out of the cult that turned her onto this and eat a steak ASAP.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
octoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

Living as a vegan requires a lot of education to eat properly.
This is what I fear the most. I don't like the idea of learning to walk again.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
octoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
I have experienced this first hand. The head strength coach at the college i used to work at became vegan. At the beginning he mentioned it was hard to figure out what exactly to eat but then he became very educated on the subject. But something that he did realize and admit was that although he feels really healthy and good, his strength levels has gone down and he has loss some muscle mass due to the diet. He still is in good shape but mentioned that he was much bigger and stronger when he was eating meat as his protein source but he would rather settle for being "healthy"
I didn't even know there were different types of vegetarians until this morning. I need to ask her what she thinks about eggs and dairy, but my sense is that she will not want to go down that path.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
This is what I fear the most. I don't like the idea of learning to walk again.
If you truely are going to walk that path, then that is what you will need to do.

As Trever said. You could easily drop plants from your diet with little adverse affects, but drop proteins, and your in a whole different ballgame.

Most people do not realize just how important fats are in our diet. Between, protein, fat, and carbs, the one you could most easily give up is carbs. You'll starve on pure protein without enough fat in your diet. People do not realize this fact.

Fat has been made an evil in America, when in fact it is not. Proper fat intake can actually hep you to loose weight.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
I didn't even know there were different types of vegetarians until this morning. I need to ask her what she thinks about eggs and dairy, but my sense is that she will not want to go down that path.
Do you have to eat the same things as she?

I know at least two couples where one half is vegan/vegetarian and the other is not.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
octoman

I want to thank everyone for the great information and feedback. I talked to my wife and she is ok with me drinking milk, eating eggs and fish. Not sure what you can that, but chicken, beef and other land mammals seem to be off limit.