Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor
Default Frustrated!!

I am very frustrated with the my cutting so far. I have been sticking to my diet very well, but I have not lost a pound. I worked hard on my diet so I knew it would work and give me the results I want. That's not the case. I haven't gained, but I haven't lost. I'm not discouraged I just need to know what to do.

Here is what I am eating everyday.

4 whites + 1 yolk = P: 18 F: 5
2 servings Oatmeal = P:10 C: 54 F: 6
Banana= C: 31
Water

1 can tuna: P: 22
1 serving almonds: P: 6 C: 6 F: 15

Chicken Breast: P: 27 F: 3
2 pieces of wheat bread: P: 4 C: 28
Sandwich Turkey: P: 6 C: 2
Brown Rice: P: 5 C: 42 F: 5
Water

Workout

Whey: P: 25
Banana: C: 31
Vitamin

Salmon: P: 25 F: 14
Almonds: P: 6 C: 6 F: 15
Sweet potatoes. P: 2 C: 22
Water

Vegetables

Caesin Protein: P: 21 F: 2 C: 6
Cottage Cheese: P: 14 C: 4 F: 3

Total: Protein 220 Carbs 254 Fats - 71

Any suggestions are appreciated.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hi Andy,

Don't get discouraged. Sometimes for me a 200 calorie difference can make a huge difference. Let's see if we can get this figured out. Right now you're at:

Quote:
Total: Protein – 220 Carbs – 254 Fats - 71
This is...2535 calories.

I am going to suggest a couple of things. First, you might need to bump the calories just a hair lower, possibly to an average of 2300 per day to get things moving.

Second, you could also try cycling your carbs in some manner. Possibly a high-low day, or a high, medium and low day.

Perhaps try:

High Day
220 protein
250 carbs

Medium Day
220 protein
200 carbs

Low Day
220 protein
150 carbs

This is only a minor carb cycling approach, but with your goals it might be enough to help.

To learn your body I suggest small steps before dramatic changes. I would drop the calories down to 2300-ish this week and see if that changes anything.

Also, do you own a caliper? You could be losing fat and gaining muscle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
andys_trim
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi Andy,

Second, you could also try cycling your carbs in some manner. Possibly a high-low day, or a high, medium and low day.

Perhaps try:

High Day
220 protein
250 carbs

Medium Day
220 protein
200 carbs

Low Day
220 protein
150 carbs

This is only a minor carb cycling approach, but with your goals it might be enough to help.

To learn your body I suggest small steps before dramatic changes. I would drop the calories down to 2300-ish this week and see if that changes anything.

Also, do you own a caliper? You could be losing fat and gaining muscle.
I've heard of carb cycling, but where should I take the carbs out. Probably around the dinner meal or earlier than that?

Should I eat less carbs to get around to 2300 calories?

Also, I do have a caliper but I haven't used it in a little while. I will use it tonight and see what it says.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
I've heard of carb cycling, but where should I take the carbs out. Probably around the dinner meal or earlier than that?

Also, I do have a caliper but I haven't used it in a little while. I will use it tonight and see what it says.
The carb cycling approach I outlined has you around 2300 per day on average.

If you just go with the straight 2300, I would drop your carbs down to 200 per day and keep fat and protein as is. For now. You could tweak the fat down a little, but I don't want you to completely overhaul your diet just to adjust a few grams of fat.

I would caliper every week. You will find some variance, but it can help you monitor trends.

I would start removing carbs later in the day.

What time is your workout, and which of the meals do you eat after training? I know you outlined them, but I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:

Definitely try carb cycling if you can use the calipers. You could be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. in addition to using the calipers take some photos and use them and the way that your clothes fit to judge changes in body composition.

If you just dropped the sweetpotatoes in your 5th meal of the day and had just the one slice of bread in meal 2 that would drop 150 calories and 36g of carbs a day and you would be hitting BtB's new calorie requirements, withour affecting hunger, or the carbs around the workout and at breakfast time when they are most essential.

hope this helps

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Definitely try carb cycling if you can use the calipers. You could be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. in addition to using the calipers take some photos and use them and the way that your clothes fit to judge changes in body composition.

If you just dropped the sweetpotatoes in your 5th meal of the day and had just the one slice of bread in meal 2 that would drop 150 calories and 36g of carbs a day and you would be hitting BtB's new calorie requirements, withour affecting hunger, or the carbs around the workout and at breakfast time when they are most essential.

hope this helps

Carl.
I was thinking the same thing. It seems like you're getting a lot of carbs. Two sweet potatoes at night is a bit much, and maybe substitute green veggies (like a spinach salad) for the brown rice with your turkey sandwich at lunch. I think if you tweak your carbs just a bit it would make a big difference.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

What time is your workout, and which of the meals do you eat after training? I know you outlined them, but I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.
I work out at 230 every day. So the last 3 meals, if that's what you want to call them, are after my workout.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
andys_trim
Max Brawn

What about this?

Water

wheat bread: P: 2 C: 14
Water

Workout

Vitamin

Water

Vegetables

Total: Protein 218 Carbs 218 Fats - 71

Should I take out one more banana to make the carbs even lower?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Bump

Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
What about this?

Water

wheat bread: P: 2 C: 14
Water

Workout

Vitamin

Water

Vegetables

Total: Protein 218 Carbs 218 Fats - 71

Should I take out one more banana to make the carbs even lower?
This is about 2383 cals. I would maybe cut the morning banana in half, get your carbs down to 200 ish, and your cals closer to 2300. And then run that for 2 weeks and see what happens.