Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   PCT wants to talk about calorie counting (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5039)

PCT 01-04-2011 10:55 AM

PCT wants to talk about calorie counting

several questions guys

Im 236-241 lbs. right now... between 17-18%,,, i am wanting to count calories to lose fat...

1.) What would my baseline be for a day of non training? I work a desk job and the only physical activity I have on those days is maybe 10 minutes of ab work or 20 minutes of cardio

2.) what would be the number of calories I would need to prevent "overtraining/ burn" out on training days? I have been lifting weights for 1 hr 15 minutes to 1 hr 30 minutes

would be greatlly appretiated...

I do not want to restrict the types of food i am eating... but wanna lose some pounds and i fill this will be the best way for me to do so.... getting enough protein will not be a problem

thanx in advance:rockon:

BendtheBar 01-04-2011 11:18 AM

What's your age PCT?

In general since you're not a bodybuilder and not looking to micromanage everything, I might suggest starting around 2500 per day. That might be a bit high, but I would rather see you start higher and back off if needed. Heck, you might have an uber metabolism and need more. But that's unlikely.

I would try 2500 for a few weeks. The first week you will drop extra water weight as your body relaxes a bit from digestion demands and carb overkill. After week 1 if you are losing more than 2 pounds a week I would add 200-300 calories per day. Losing weight too quickly zaps muscle and strength.

If you're not losing weight then I would drop 200-300 calories per day.

If you want to eat more on training days, I would do something like 2800 on training days, 2200 on off days, or similar, trying to keep the 2500 average. You could do a smaller adjustment like 2700 and 2300.

TBtaylor52 01-04-2011 11:21 AM

I am at 244 at 20% BF and currently upped my calories to 2800~ and just started losing, my calories were a lil low before and I too have a sitting/standing job. Nothing hard at all and 97% of my activity comes from the gym.

PCT 01-04-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 103487)
What's your age PCT?

In general since you're not a bodybuilder and not looking to micromanage everything, I might suggest starting around 2500 per day. That might be a bit high, but I would rather see you start higher and back off if needed. Heck, you might have an uber metabolism and need more. But that's unlikely.

I would try 2500 for a few weeks. The first week you will drop extra water weight as your body relaxes a bit from digestion demands and carb overkill. After week 1 if you are losing more than 2 pounds a week I would add 200-300 calories per day. Losing weight too quickly zaps muscle and strength.

If you're not losing weight then I would drop 200-300 calories per day.

i am 24... did you come up with the 2500 based of a certain calculation?

your right about not micromanaging... would hurt my goals rather than help.... i justdont wanna go over 240 right now with out getting stronger first... thanx for the input

i have already ate nearlly 800 cals today.... i plan on deadlifting today.... should i am for the 2500 even on training dasy?

PCT 01-04-2011 11:26 AM

just saw your edit btb

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBtaylor52 (Post 103488)
I am at 244 at 20% BF and currently upped my calories to 2800~ and just started losing, my calories were a lil low before and I too have a sitting/standing job. Nothing hard at all and 97% of my activity comes from the gym.

so it seems that i will aim for 2500 each day and never go over that on non training days and if i go over on training days never go over 3k.... i eat around 4k a day right now.... its tough at night... and now the gf lives with me and there is al kinds of goodies.... but i have a strong will

TBtaylor52 01-04-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCT (Post 103493)
just saw your edit btb

so it seems that i will aim for 2500 each day and never go over that on non training days and if i go over on training days never go over 3k.... i eat around 4k a day right now.... its tough at night... and now the gf lives with me and there is al kinds of goodies.... but i have a strong will

Just to help you out some, here was my diet yesterday

TBtaylor52's Food, Diet, and Fitness Diary | LIVESTRONG.COM

BendtheBar 01-04-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCT (Post 103489)
i am 24... did you come up with the 2500 based of a certain calculation?

your right about not micromanaging... would hurt my goals rather than help.... i justdont wanna go over 240 right now with out getting stronger first... thanx for the input

i have already ate nearlly 800 cals today.... i plan on deadlifting today.... should i am for the 2500 even on training dasy?

2500 is just a number from personal experience. It's generally the spot I recommend for Average Joes to start at. Nothing overly scientific about it.

I've counted calories for 25 years and was able to lose weight and retain strength around 2500 a day (up until age 40). I lost weight too rapidly at 2100-2200. Mileage varies of course, but at your age of 24, going lower than 2500 per day probably isn't needed, even with sitting all day.

How many days per week are you training right now?

BendtheBar 01-04-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCT (Post 103493)
just saw your edit btb

You should be good with 2500 on non-training days and over on training days.

It doesn't matter much where you start as long as you make the proper adjustments based on how the scale responds. Just make sure you monitor the calories you eat on training days so you know for sure how your body is responding.

PCT 01-04-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 103519)
How many days per week are you training right now?

4 days a week religiously... some week i will do a 20 minute cardio session on a non lifting day

BendtheBar 01-04-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCT (Post 103533)
4 days a week religiously... some week i will do a 20 minute cardio session on a non lifting day

4 works well with zig zagging calories. Rock it!