Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine
Default 3 Day Military Diet - thoughts??

My fiance has been telling me about this 3 Day Military Diet that his ex-wife used to go on from time to time. Apparently you lose 10 pounds in those 3 days. Supposedly it works because the foods that you eat do something to your digestive system in such a way as to trigger that crazy amount of weight loss. It's the type of foods and also the time of day the foods are eaten that make it work. I finally found the diet on the internet, and I have to say, I'm really intrigued.

3 Day Diet

Usually I see these types of "get thin quick" diets as bunk, but he told me that right before their wedding she apparently went on the diet 3 times in a row (so, essentially, 9 days straight) and she leaned out like a mofo. Plus it's used by the military in cases where a soldier has to lose weight quickly to make their PT. I've heard other people who swear by it as well.

Looking at the diet, I can tell that you'd have to basically starve yourself so it would be tough to do just for 3 days, much less 9 (especially while weight training). I don't understand what makes this diet work. I think usually when you lose that much weight in that short of time, it's water weight, but this diet doesn't look like it would cause that. The diet DOES say that you can substitute any food on the diet for whatever else you want, as long as it's the same calorie value, so is this maybe just a drastic calorie reduction diet and that's why it works? But then, would you really be losing fat?

What do you guys think?

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

After a quick perusal, it looks like hokum. Which like most people I expected, I admit.

I also must admit I am no dietician, and have had a difficult time shedding fat myself. Like most people.

Don't bother with it. Seriously - if that's you in your avatar, why would you even consider drastic, unhealthy methods of weight loss like this?? You are in perfect shape to begin with.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

i actually see nothing amazing in the diet that causes that. main thing i noticed was the suggestion of drinking only 4 glasses of water or diet soda, only eating 3 meals a day which consist of barely no protein or carbs.

IMO, this is just a diet where you take in the least amt of calories in order to just function, and lose water weight because 4 glasses of water is not enough. guarantee if you do this for 3 or 9 days and you go back to your regular eating habits you'll blow up like a balloon because your body is gonna want to grab on any nutrients that you are finally taking in.

Maybe she looked good on that one day but then what happened after?

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93

Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

It basically has very low carbs so for any normal individual the weight loss would more than likely come from water loss due to the low carbs. Not worth it Ev.
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Haha well first off all, all my pics are really me (including my avatar). I don't see much point in presenting myself falsely if I'm trying to get honest feedback from folks on how to improve physique.

Thanks to everyone. I was thinking it was pretty bogus, just another one of those quick diets where all you lose is water, but since the military uses it (supposedly) I thought maybe there was something else to it.

The ice cream during dinner really threw me off. The funkiness of the whole diet made me think that there was some sort of real combination of macros that was the key or something.

I guess the only reason I was considering it right now is because I gained a little weight over the holidays, and I thought that maybe this would be a good way to jump start my cutting process. I was thinking that as long as I kept my diet in check, ate clean, etc. afterwards, any loss I experienced would stay off. Actually right now I'm following the Glycemic Index Diet through eDiets, just to help me stay on track with diet and to have something to follow instead of just eating what I THINK is a good idea...like I tend to do.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

Old 01-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

LOL, I've had soldiers when I was a SGT try this to get off the fatboy program, but they or it failed. I'm not sure if they really stuck to it or were cheating. I have had success for a very temporary 10 lb loss from that hollywood juice. You only have that juice and some water for 24 hours and you spend the entrie time in the can. Then joila you've lost 10 lbs, until you eat anything else. lol!
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93

Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

You can keep it simple by lowering carbs and introducing some cardio.
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

I would think it would be extremely hard to stick to, even for 3 days, just because the calories look frighteningly low. How she did it for 9 days is a feat nothing short of insanity.

I tried that Hollywood Diet a few years back and it was a nightmare. By day 2 my brain started trying to trick me into eating real food by whispering sweet nothings into my ear, and I started hallucinating by day 3 just because of the lack of calories. No lie. It's definitely not something you want to do if you need any level of concentration whatsoever.