Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #21
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
Yeah, I read something about the age of the egg being a factor of "peel-ability". Unless I have my own chickens don't know how I'm suppose to determine egg age?
As someone who eats a lot of eggs, I feel I have mastered the art of boiling eggs so that they peel off very easy, even without running them under water (which isn't always convenient for me).

Yes, most important- don't EVER try to hard boil farm fresh eggs. This is what they're talking about when they are talking about the age of the egg. Even if I buy commercial eggs from the store, I let them sit at least a week before I boil them. I think this is the main reason eggs don't want to peel - is that they're too fresh when they're boiled.

Here is exactly how I boil eggs, and they come out perfect every time:

Put enough water in the pot to cover the eggs by about an inch and add a big pinch of salt. When the water JUST starts to boil (like, just starting to get big bubbles popping at the top), remove the pot from the burner and cover it for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, dump all the hot water out and replace it with cold water. (FYI - if you forget and they go longer than that, no worries, your yolks will just be green but it's harmless.) You'll have to replace the water a few times because the hot eggs will warm the water up again. Letting the eggs sit in COLD ASS water is very important (I think the #2 reason eggs don't want to peel...heheh I said 'number 2'...anyway...). Let them sit in the cold water until you can handle the eggs with your bare hands without burning yourself.

Voila. Perfecto eggs. Hope this helps!

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
NTO
never too old
Brawn
Points: 1,372, Level: 20 Points: 1,372, Level: 20 Points: 1,372, Level: 20
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: <1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Animal Pak
NTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality posts

Thanks EV. I'll give this a whirl.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-Al
NTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #23
.D.
Banned
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Seated Military Press
.D. is off to a good start.D. is off to a good start.D. is off to a good start.D. is off to a good start.D. is off to a good start

I normally crack the egg shell on the worktop counter, then I proceed to run the egg under a cold or warm tap of running water. Normally takes me 10mins from when I put the egg in the pan to the point where I start eating it. I'm fairly delicate when I do this though as the odd time I've seen the white of the egg peel away. However I think I may give EV's method a whirl just to see what that's like
.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #24
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Seriously, guys, I was *that person* who just could not hard boil an egg to save my life. They never turned out. Found that method and it's worked for me every time.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #25
NTO
never too old
Brawn
Points: 1,372, Level: 20 Points: 1,372, Level: 20 Points: 1,372, Level: 20
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: <1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Animal Pak
NTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Yes, most important- don't EVER try to hard boil farm fresh eggs. This is what they're talking about when they are talking about the age of the egg. Even if I buy commercial eggs from the store, I let them sit at least a week before I boil them. I think this is the main reason eggs don't want to peel - is that they're too fresh when they're boiled.

Here is exactly how I boil eggs, and they come out perfect every time:

Put enough water in the pot to cover the eggs by about an inch and add a big pinch of salt. When the water JUST starts to boil (like, just starting to get big bubbles popping at the top), remove the pot from the burner and cover it for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, dump all the hot water out and replace it with cold water. (FYI - if you forget and they go longer than that, no worries, your yolks will just be green but it's harmless.) You'll have to replace the water a few times because the hot eggs will warm the water up again. Letting the eggs sit in COLD ASS water is very important (I think the #2 reason eggs don't want to peel...heheh I said 'number 2'...anyway...). Let them sit in the cold water until you can handle the eggs with your bare hands without burning yourself.

Voila. Perfecto eggs. Hope this helps!
After trying several methods, this works perfectly. Peeled clean & yolks were moist with no green outer tinge. Thanks EV!

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-Al
NTO is offline   Reply With Quote