Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
thumpinos
Uber Brawn

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts
Default Store brand and natural peanut butter

Could someone please explain to me why the nutritional differences are between store brand and natural peanut butter. Is one really better than the other, I guess that's my question.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

i asked a nutritionist this one time and they told me, the price is the biggest difference. HAHA, I was like really. Was told that the sugars in namebrands was the biggest diff but there really wasnt enough to justify the extra cost of all natural.
Fire36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

The label and brandname. A natty PB jar's ingredient label should read the same if it's from a store brand, or name brand. If ti says anything other than, Peanuts, it's not natural. Maybe some palm/peanut oil and salt, but that's it.

I prefer to use my $35 blender, a jar of Planters, and make my own. Easy and cheap. Clean-up does suck, but a spray with some hot water and it all washes off. I can also add other flavors if I want, vanilla, cocoa, whatever...
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
The label and brandname. A natty PB jar's ingredient label should read the same if it's from a store brand, or name brand. If ti says anything other than, Peanuts, it's not natural. Maybe some palm/peanut oil and salt, but that's it.

I prefer to use my $35 blender, a jar of Planters, and make my own. Easy and cheap. Clean-up does suck, but a spray with some hot water and it all washes off. I can also add other flavors if I want, vanilla, cocoa, whatever...
dam u make ur own pb tell me how lol
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Sugars and oils are the big difference. Look at the labels. I prefer Smuckers Natural, ingredients are peanuts and salt. A true natty will almost always separate, leaving a layer of oil on top. The name brands typically add something to keep the oil from separating.

Coop, look above. Making peanut or almond butter really is as simple as ricka182 said. Drop some in a blender and chop and blend until creamy. It will be loud. Some people add a little honey or butter to help things mix and to affect flavor, but that is not necessary.
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Sugars and oils are the big difference. Look at the labels. I prefer Smuckers Natural, ingredients are peanuts and salt. A true natty will almost always separate, leaving a layer of oil on top. The name brands typically add something to keep the oil from separating.

Coop, look above. Making peanut or almond butter really is as simple as ricka182 said. Drop some in a blender and chop and blend until creamy. It will be loud. Some people add a little honey or butter to help things mix and to affect flavor, but that is not necessary.
dam never knew u could homemade crush peanuts into peanut butter
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

the real difference is transfats and preservatives and nonsense.

your PB and its oil should seperate. and the stuff we get reads...
ingredients: peanuts
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn

ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Try this..

3 cups peanuts
1 Tbsp. peanut oil
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

Blend til smooth and creamy...
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
#Maverick#
Mental State Is Zenlike
Max Brawn

Training Exp: About 8 Months
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: MILK
#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts

what do you do with the oil that comes on top? i iz conphuzed
#Maverick# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Maverick# View Post
what do you do with the oil that comes on top? i iz conphuzed
Just stir it back in...