Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Store brand and natural peanut butter (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4902)

thumpinos 12-15-2010 10:21 AM

Store brand and natural peanut butter

Could someone please explain to me why the nutritional differences are between store brand and natural peanut butter. Is one really better than the other, I guess that's my question.

Fire36 12-15-2010 10:48 AM

i asked a nutritionist this one time and they told me, the price is the biggest difference. HAHA, I was like really. Was told that the sugars in namebrands was the biggest diff but there really wasnt enough to justify the extra cost of all natural.

ricka182 12-15-2010 11:02 AM

The label and brandname. A natty PB jar's ingredient label should read the same if it's from a store brand, or name brand. If ti says anything other than, Peanuts, it's not natural. Maybe some palm/peanut oil and salt, but that's it.

I prefer to use my $35 blender, a jar of Planters, and make my own. Easy and cheap. Clean-up does suck, but a spray with some hot water and it all washes off. I can also add other flavors if I want, vanilla, cocoa, whatever...

CoopDawg 12-15-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricka182 (Post 99699)
The label and brandname. A natty PB jar's ingredient label should read the same if it's from a store brand, or name brand. If ti says anything other than, Peanuts, it's not natural. Maybe some palm/peanut oil and salt, but that's it.

I prefer to use my $35 blender, a jar of Planters, and make my own. Easy and cheap. Clean-up does suck, but a spray with some hot water and it all washes off. I can also add other flavors if I want, vanilla, cocoa, whatever...

dam u make ur own pb tell me how lol

bamazav 12-15-2010 01:41 PM

Sugars and oils are the big difference. Look at the labels. I prefer Smuckers Natural, ingredients are peanuts and salt. A true natty will almost always separate, leaving a layer of oil on top. The name brands typically add something to keep the oil from separating.

Coop, look above. Making peanut or almond butter really is as simple as ricka182 said. Drop some in a blender and chop and blend until creamy. It will be loud. Some people add a little honey or butter to help things mix and to affect flavor, but that is not necessary.

CoopDawg 12-15-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 99740)
Sugars and oils are the big difference. Look at the labels. I prefer Smuckers Natural, ingredients are peanuts and salt. A true natty will almost always separate, leaving a layer of oil on top. The name brands typically add something to keep the oil from separating.

Coop, look above. Making peanut or almond butter really is as simple as ricka182 said. Drop some in a blender and chop and blend until creamy. It will be loud. Some people add a little honey or butter to help things mix and to affect flavor, but that is not necessary.

dam never knew u could homemade crush peanuts into peanut butter

TitanCT 12-15-2010 03:00 PM

the real difference is transfats and preservatives and nonsense.

your PB and its oil should seperate. and the stuff we get reads...
ingredients: peanuts

ricka182 12-15-2010 08:10 PM

Try this..

3 cups peanuts
1 Tbsp. peanut oil
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

Blend til smooth and creamy...

#Maverick# 12-15-2010 09:13 PM

what do you do with the oil that comes on top? i iz conphuzed

ricka182 12-15-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #Maverick# (Post 99802)
what do you do with the oil that comes on top? i iz conphuzed

Just stir it back in...