Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is Milk Really Healthy for You? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4805)

NTO 11-30-2010 08:19 AM

Is Milk Really Healthy for You?

Here's some Facts:

Men's Health Lists : MensHealth.com

Great article about milk, muscle development, and health risks.

Drink up! :mh:

BendtheBar 11-30-2010 08:25 AM

Found this interesting:

Quote:

Do Hormones Make Milk Unhealthy?

Not unless you're injecting the milk. Here's the full story: In 1993 the FDA approved the use of recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) in cattle. This practice resulted in greater milk production at less cost to the dairy farmer, a savings that has been passed on to you at your local supermarket. But it has also sparked much controversy, because rBGH boosts milk's concentration of insulin-like growth factor (IGF), a hormone that's been linked to cancer.

Unlike steroid hormones, which can be taken orally, rBGH and IGF must be injected to have any effect. That's because the process of digestion destroys these "protein" hormones. So drinking milk from hormone-treated cows doesn't transfer the active form of these chemicals to your body. However, there is one ethical downside to consider: It's not good for the cows. Canadian researchers discovered that cows given hormones are more likely to contract an udder infection called mastitis.

NTO 11-30-2010 08:40 AM

Yup. This too...

Quote:

What About Antibiotics? No one really knows...

If you're uneasy, you can purchase antibiotic-free (and typically hormone-free, as well) milk from specialty grocers...
I guess, overall.....drink your milk!

BendtheBar 11-30-2010 08:49 AM

At one point I had a co-worker that was very anti-milk because of hormones, etc. Her comments did intimidate me at times, but never so much that I removed milk from the house.

I worry more about white sugar and white flour consumption by my kids than anything else.

NTO 11-30-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 97196)
I worry more about white sugar and white flour consumption by my kids than anything else.

You struck a nerve here btb. I'm on an on-going fued with my kids about sugar regulation. It's like fighting with mini-crack addicts! IMO.. sugar = crap.

I'm a big advocate on drinking milk though. Unfortunately I have to, from time-to-time, add chocolate or strawberry syrup to it to get my kids to dring it. :mad:

glwanabe 11-30-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTO (Post 97198)
You struck a nerve here btb. I'm on an on-going fued with my kids about sugar regulation. It's like fighting with mini-crack addicts! IMO.. sugar = crap.

I'm a big advocate on drinking milk though. Unfortunately I have to, from time-to-time, add chocolate or strawberry syrup to it to get my kids to dring it. :mad:

Chocolate milk and pizza might just be the worlds two most perfect foods.

My Sister is a huge anti milk person. I drink a glass a two a day with my whey.

As was already mentioned, wheat products, and sugar are far more dangerous to good health. I do love good bread though. I guess the key is moderation.

BendtheBar 11-30-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTO (Post 97198)

^ I think I struggle most with my wife on this topic. My kids understand the logic behind eating healthy, but my wife, given the choice, will:

1) Reach for something loaded with white sugar and flour.
2) If she does make something healthier, say for breakfast like an egg, will serve them a plain egg with no seasoning and they look at it in confusion. I remind her that a little salt, pepper, cheese and salsa goes a long way.

Fire36 11-30-2010 09:26 AM

[QUOTE=glwanabe;97204]Chocolate milk and pizza might just be the worlds two most perfect foods.

You speak the truth here gl, :rockon:

NTO 11-30-2010 10:42 AM

My wife and kids are basically carboholics. If I dare put a piece of meat on there plate they look at it with disgust. Disappointing. And "No", hot dogs do not qualify as meat! ( so my family believes )