Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Food for thought. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2760)

Rich Knapp 04-04-2010 11:52 AM

Food for thought.

Everyone worries about Calories in there diet. Hear is a thought.
If you want the body to react the way you want it to, you need to keep it balanced so it functions and utilized the nutrients properly.
With this said it is more beneficial to hit your macro's and no more or less than 5g's, verses counting carb's. You get good and you can even hit all your macro's at a lower calorie count than the one you set.

Cutting for comp I (presantly) have a 1600 cal limit most days. with macro's of Fat= 40, Carbs= 115, Pro= 190. (this is for my body weight) Every day I hit my macro's dead on, no more and no less. So I know my body is healthy and running properly, BUT in hitting these macro's most days I am below my calorie limit.

1600 cals from all pro and carbs isn't the same as 1600 cals from pro, carb's AND fats. Any combination of the 2 rather than all 3 you won't be feeding the body a healthy intake that it can react well with.

Think of it as oil in your car. If you put 5 quarts in. 5 qt's is 5 qt's. BUT would you use Vegetable oil, Gun oil or waste oil? No, Why not its 5 qt's?
They aren't the right mix, right? Well your body is a machine also just a organic machine.

So in closing. If you hit your MACRO'S you will be in cal zone anyways and yet if you count carbs you can be way out of line on macro's and you body won't react the way you would like.

Be good to your body count macro's not calories.

This goes for all 3, Bulking, cutting down and maintaining.

BendtheBar 04-04-2010 12:35 PM

How many times have you competed Rich? And have you noticed your metabolism slowing over the years from the calorie deficit demands of competing? Just wondering because some guys seem to handle this better and can compete more often...

Rich Knapp 04-04-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 44830)
How many times have you competed Rich? And have you noticed your metabolism slowing over the years from the calorie deficit demands of competing? Just wondering because some guys seem to handle this better and can compete more often...

I have competed 11 times before. Placing in top 3 in my class 10 times, with 3 first places= 2002 INBF WI state, 2002 INBF Midwest, 2000 Northeastern.
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/PIC_0134.jpg
These shows were in open class before I was in the chair. My 2 shows in April will put me at 13 shows.

The only slowing I have noticed is just do to the aging proses. (every year over 30, the body burns 5 less cals per day)

BendtheBar 04-04-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 44831)

The only slowing I have noticed is just do to the aging proses. (every year over 30, the body burns 5 less cals per day)

That seems like a solid estimation.

Rich Knapp 04-04-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 44845)
That seems like a solid estimation.

For luck as far as stripping I have always had a fast metab. Just some times it plato's and I need a little kicker like the AAEFX Lean Fix Elite to get it going and get the last little stubern fat.

Gaining is a fun one, was always hard because of fast metab.

I fixed my pic link. in the post. now it shows up. lol

BendtheBar 04-04-2010 05:00 PM

Trophies look sweet Rich. Did you compete in Sheboygan this weekend?

Rich Knapp 04-04-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 44862)
Trophies look sweet Rich. Did you compete in Sheboygan this weekend?

Thats this weekend. I'll be there. Full and hard.
Then a week off between shows and then another peek week for
the 24th in Madison.

BendtheBar 04-04-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 44879)
Thats this weekend. I'll be there. Full and hard.
Then a week off between shows and then another peek week for
the 24th in Madison.

For some reason I was thinking Sheboygan was this weekend.

Rich Knapp 04-04-2010 05:29 PM

On the 10th. Then Madison on 24th.