Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:24 AM   #1
one-X-life
Straight Edge
New Brawn

one-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributor
Default Rich Piana's Crystal Egg Whites

What does everyone think of this new product? Supposedly its just dehydrated egg whites.

https://www.rich-piana.com/in/real-f...white-crystals

I've been a fan of Rich Piana's supplement line, especially for his emphasis on consuming real food. I've tried Real Food Sweet Potato Powder and I was impressed by the quality.

I'm thinking about trying this one. Now I've never been one to chug egg whites. I've heard that the protein from raw egg whites is only absorbed by about 40% compared to cooked egg whites.

If they're not as good raw that means you gotta cook them and that means throwing them in a shake is gonna be a pretty big waste. On top of that, it's not a solid food, which is obviously your best option.

So is this a step in the right direction or do you still swear by whey as your protein supp?
one-X-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
Biggraygrizzly
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master memberBiggraygrizzly is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-X-life View Post
What does everyone think of this new product? Supposedly its just dehydrated egg whites.

https://www.rich-piana.com/in/real-f...white-crystals

I've been a fan of Rich Piana's supplement line, especially for his emphasis on consuming real food. I've tried Real Food Sweet Potato Powder and I was impressed by the quality.

I'm thinking about trying this one. Now I've never been one to chug egg whites. I've heard that the protein from raw egg whites is only absorbed by about 40% compared to cooked egg whites.

If they're not as good raw that means you gotta cook them and that means throwing them in a shake is gonna be a pretty big waste. On top of that, it's not a solid food, which is obviously your best option.

So is this a step in the right direction or do you still swear by whey as your protein supp?
I do not use Whey or any other commercial made protein any more, I stop about 4 years ago when I read a consumer reports investigation on all the lead in whey so what I do now is use whole milk and egg whites that are pasteurized and I just add BCAA powder and that where I get flavor or I add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder and stevia. I see that rich is charging $54.00 which is expensive, where I can get a carton of egg whites a quart for $4.00 and a pint for a $1.99 and since they are pasteurized you do not have to cook them. I use 1 cup of egg whites which is appox. 18grm protein and when add a 1 cup of milk the total protein is around 28grm of protein , and I first started I used milk and egg protein, which was a mainstay of old school bodybuilders, you can look Vince Gironda and his take on milk & egg protein, I just think I rather pay the grocery store instead of the supplement company when it comes to protein, and going to the store is cheaper getting egg whites than buying egg whites crystals, that my take on it.
Biggraygrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggraygrizzly View Post
I do not use Whey or any other commercial made protein any more, I stop about 4 years ago when I read a consumer reports investigation on all the lead in whey so what I do now is use whole milk and egg whites that are pasteurized and I just add BCAA powder and that where I get flavor or I add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder and stevia. I see that rich is charging $54.00 which is expensive, where I can get a carton of egg whites a quart for $4.00 and a pint for a $1.99 and since they are pasteurized you do not have to cook them. I use 1 cup of egg whites which is appox. 18grm protein and when add a 1 cup of milk the total protein is around 28grm of protein , and I first started I used milk and egg protein, which was a mainstay of old school bodybuilders, you can look Vince Gironda and his take on milk & egg protein, I just think I rather pay the grocery store instead of the supplement company when it comes to protein, and going to the store is cheaper getting egg whites than buying egg whites crystals, that my take on it.
I am completely in agreement with this - I just made the switch to egg whites and milk versus whey powder. I am liking it ! - Waaay cheaper!! I have read some stuff that suggest the bio availability of raw egg whites is slightly less than that of cooked but I have also read studies that suggest it does not matter - my plan is to keep eating and stop reading studies ha ha ha
Old 01-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
one-X-life
Straight Edge
New Brawn

one-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributor

As far as powder-form supplements go I think whey and casein are the best... I don't use them every day but in the event I need a quick snack its a decent option. They are saying how much better egg protein is but the thought of drinking raw eggs seems less effective than cooking and eating them or drinking whey. And also, where I'm from the value per gram is close but the powder form is slightly more expensive.

Im also thinking it's cool to see supplements go in the direction of resembling a real food rather than the protein isolate.

Last edited by one-X-life; 01-04-2017 at 09:54 PM.
one-X-life is offline   Reply With Quote