Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
H0neyBe4r

H0neyBe4r is off to a bad start
Default Should one take a break from a caloric deficit every few months?

Hi!

Last August I weighted around 85 kg (187 lbs) at a height of 176 cm (69 inches), donīt know about the bf, definetly above 25%. I created a myfitnesspal account and started to track calories and macros, first for maintenance, then for weightloss/cutting. Following Paul Carters suggestions from his Lift Run Bang-blog and his books, I set my daily calories at 10 times my bodyweight in pounds (12 times on training days, the extra calories all come from carbs). Proteine was 1 gramm per pound of bodyweights, fat was 20% of total calories, carbs was the rest. At 10 times bodyweight in calories the ratio was 40/40/20 for p/c/f.

I didnīt lift regularily until the end of Feburary 2016, since then I have been lifting three times each week, mostly compound movements. My goals are to get stronger and more muscular over time, but to get into the lower double digits bodyfat-wise before "bulking"/eating for mass, and then to never exceed 15% before going on a cut again.

Now my bodyweight is at 70 kg (154 lbs) and I got visibly leaner, still sporting a gut though (that was the first thing to come on, so naturally its the last to go), so I suppose my bf is still at or slightly above 20%. Recently I also changed my macros to 30/40/30 for p/c/f since I wanted more fat in my diet, 37 gramm a day did seem awfully little.

Basically I cut for 6-7 months and lost 15 kg (33 lbs) in that timeframe. Some people say that one should not cut for that long, so would it be beneficial to eat maintenance for a month (about 1951 kcal a day), before resuming to cut? While lifting of course. And does anybody have any more suggestions/hints? Concerning macros for example?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long text, hopefully it is halfway readable.

H0neyBe4r

Last edited by H0neyBe4r; 05-23-2016 at 10:09 AM.
H0neyBe4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
Knarf Dorsey
Rage against the Age
Brawn

Training Exp: 30 Years
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Cleans
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
Knarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0neyBe4r View Post
Hi!

Last August I weighted around 85 kg (187 lbs) at a height of 176 cm (69 inches), donīt know about the bf, definetly above 25%. I created a myfitnesspal account and started to track calories and macros, first for maintenance, then for weightloss/cutting. Following Paul Carters suggestions from his Lift Run Bang-blog and his books, I set my daily calories at 10 times my bodyweight in pounds (12 times on training days, the extra calories all come from carbs). Proteine was 1 gramm per pound of bodyweights, fat was 20% of total calories, carbs was the rest. At 10 times bodyweight in calories the ratio was 40/40/20 for p/c/f.

I didnīt lift regularily until the end of Feburary 2016, since then I have been lifting three times each week, mostly compound movements. My goals are to get stronger and more muscular over time, but to get into the lower double digits bodyfat-wise before "bulking"/eating for mass, and then to never exceed 15% before going on a cut again.

Now my bodyweight is at 70 kg (154 lbs) and I got visibly leaner, still sporting a gut though (that was the first thing to come on, so naturally its the last to go), so I suppose my bf is still at or slightly above 20%. Recently I also changed my macros to 30/40/30 for p/c/f since I wanted more fat in my diet, 37 gramm a day did seem awfully little.

Basically I cut for 6-7 months and lost 15 kg (33 lbs) in that timeframe. Some people say that one should not cut for that long, so would it be beneficial to eat maintenance for a month (about 1951 kcal a day), before resuming to cut? While lifting of course. And does anybody have any more suggestions/hints? Concerning macros for example?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long text, hopefully it is halfway readable.

H0neyBe4r
Do you feel like you need a break? Have you plateaued in your weight loss? Have you lost a lot of strength or otherwise feeling fatigued and/or run down? The aforementioned are some of the signs you may need a break. I like to take a break every 6 to 8 weeks. My breaks vary. Sometimes, I'll eat at maintenance for a week while still hitting my macros. On my next break (coming in two weeks), I'm just going to take a weekend. In my opinion, a month is much too long.

It's not the weight you use, but how you use the weight.
Knarf Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25!
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Cookies&Cream Whey
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

I agree with Knarf...

Satisfy a craving or overfeed a little to pump up our metabolism and muscle growth, but don't get into a new (undesired) habit.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:14 AM   #4
H0neyBe4r

H0neyBe4r is off to a bad start

Thanks for the advice. No, I do not feel any more exausted then I did before I started on the caloric deficit. Nor do I feel hungry (I was careful and slowly reduced my caloric intake over several weeks instead of jumping right into the 10 times bodyweight territory). I guess I will continue for a month at least and then maybe spend a week eating maintenance.
H0neyBe4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Knarf Dorsey
Rage against the Age
Brawn

Training Exp: 30 Years
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Cleans
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
Knarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0neyBe4r View Post
Thanks for the advice. No, I do not feel any more exausted then I did before I started on the caloric deficit. Nor do I feel hungry (I was careful and slowly reduced my caloric intake over several weeks instead of jumping right into the 10 times bodyweight territory). I guess I will continue for a month at least and then maybe spend a week eating maintenance.
That sounds like a plan. Nothing wrong with taking a break for a week or so every now and then.

It's not the weight you use, but how you use the weight.
Knarf Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote