Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3 Years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master member
Default Opinions on BCAA Supplements?

Discuss.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
Knarf Dorsey
Rage against the Age
Brawn

Training Exp: 30 Years
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Cleans
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
Knarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributor

I use Extend. I'm not sure if it provides any benefits, but, I drink a ton of water a day and at least it adds a little flavor. I think it does help with rehydration and replacing electrolytes.

It's not the weight you use, but how you use the weight.
Knarf Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!

If your sleep, and nutrition are in order, using bcaa's (intraworkout, between meals more than three hours apart, or pre fasted training) is shown to be beneficial. I look for a good leucine content as it seems to be the most important factor.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3 Years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knarf Dorsey View Post
I use Extend. I'm not sure if it provides any benefits, but, I drink a ton of water a day and at least it adds a little flavor. I think it does help with rehydration and replacing electrolytes.
When I first started lifting I looked into them, but couldn't find much conclusive evidence for them being nescissary.

Some say you can get everything you need from food, and others suggest that taking it in "raw" form is benificial.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
Knarf Dorsey
Rage against the Age
Brawn

Training Exp: 30 Years
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Cleans
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
Knarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributor

Yeah, Examine.com says if you get adequate protein you don't need them. It may help with fatigue for novice lifters.

It's not the weight you use, but how you use the weight.
Knarf Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Only thing I noticed from using them (intra training) was reduced doms.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
SwingerOfBirches
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Bacon Fat
SwingerOfBirches is a lifting machineSwingerOfBirches is a lifting machineSwingerOfBirches is a lifting machineSwingerOfBirches is a lifting machineSwingerOfBirches is a lifting machineSwingerOfBirches is a lifting machineSwingerOfBirches is a lifting machineSwingerOfBirches is a lifting machineSwingerOfBirches is a lifting machineSwingerOfBirches is a lifting machineSwingerOfBirches is a lifting machine

I use MTS Machine Fuel and personally I can tell a difference in how sore I am when I lift without a BCAA-intra.

I wonder how many people out there don't really see benefits from BCAA because they're under-dosing? I'd looked into it and what made the most sense to me was the 9g/100lbs of bodyweight. So I upped my intra from 9g to 18g feel like it's made a difference since doing that. Thoughts?
SwingerOfBirches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
Nezzy
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef
Nezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machine

As I understand it:

If
Your workout is perfect and you never miss sessions
And
Your diet is perfect and you always achieve your calories
And
Your macros are perfect and you always get the right quantities of protein/carb/fat
And
Your meal timing is perfect and you get the right food at the right time every day
And
You can afford them

Then they may have some small benefit. Chances are though you'll get a much better benefit from sorting out one or more of the above first.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Ramrod
"1500" by 2017
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 17
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Squats
Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!

I notice when using them I have a lot less DOMs.

I like the BCAA's with Beta Alanine in them...

Proudly sponsored by
www.RAMRODREVIEWS.com

Meet PR's: 480/320/520 Total: 1320 @180
GYM PR's 520/340/550 = 1,410

instagram @ramrodreviews
Powerlifting Routines
Lifting Large Coupon Code for 10% off "EBBC"
Strong House Project Coupon Code for10% off "RAMROD10"
Blue Line Barbell Coupon Code for 15% off "Morey15"
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Got2Squat
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2 years.
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Consistency
Got2Squat is a lifting machineGot2Squat is a lifting machineGot2Squat is a lifting machineGot2Squat is a lifting machineGot2Squat is a lifting machineGot2Squat is a lifting machineGot2Squat is a lifting machineGot2Squat is a lifting machineGot2Squat is a lifting machineGot2Squat is a lifting machineGot2Squat is a lifting machine

I follow a pretty knowledgeable dude regarding supplements(1800 lb total raw 198 powerlifter, currently finishing up PhD, has a nutrition forum, does extensive research on nutrition for strength training etc etc.).

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that BCAA's are beneficial between meals, pre workout and post workout if not with food, but not during the workout. Properly timed(as stated above), I think they cause a spike in muscle protein synthesis.

Although I believe it is true that proper programming, consistency, rest, and nutrition play a much larger role, they do provide some benefit in addition to those things, whether we are perfect in these aspects or not.

From what I recall, and a mistake/misunderstanding I see with many is that BCAA's taken with food(such as in a protein shake) or while lifting do not provide much if any benefit. I'll try to look up the details and provide some more accurate information.

I know that they are definitely on his list of top five supplements along with creatine and whey(if you don't get enough protein from food, which most don't).

I find them to be on the expensive side and difficult to time properly, so I have only purchased them once.

Squat 455
Bench 295
Deadlift 510
Total 1260 @ 198
Wilks 381
Got2Squat is offline   Reply With Quote