Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3 Years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master member
Default Pre-workout supplements: nessesary?

Throughout my relatively short time lifting, because I've been under 18 I haven't looked into Pre-workout supplements.

I've had strong coffee in the past which seems to have helped energy wise, but other than that I've never looked into any.

I've done just fine without them, but I'm just wondering weather I would see a significant benifit from giving them a try.

What's the lowdown with you guys? Do you or don't you?

Cheers, and hope all is well with everyone.

- LG
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Barbell88
Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: 2" bar clean and press
Fav Supp: N.o explode pre workout
Barbell88 is new to the forumBarbell88 is new to the forum

I have a physical job and 3 kids so I'm usually pretty shattered, I tried N.O EXPLODE and I defiantly have noticed improvements inside and outside the gym just seem very focused on my next set, I don't think there necessary but they definitely help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barbell88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Ben
Brawn

Ben is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributorBen is a dedicated contributor

Never tried one and don't feel I need one. This video may be of interest.

Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
Knarf Dorsey
Rage against the Age
Brawn

Training Exp: 30 Years
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Cleans
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
Knarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributor

I take one, but, then again, I'm an old fart. And, I've built up a tolerance so the effect for me is more psychological than physical.
Knarf Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Chicken every day Homie!
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

If you need it to get going or in order to make it through a workout they are very helpful. Not required by any means. If you have plenty of energy and are "fueled" up and ready to go then they serve no purpose IMO.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25!
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Cookies&Cream Whey
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

do I need it? not really.

does it make a difference when I take it? Yes.

Currently using Muscle Pharm Assault
Old 05-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Dray
Max Brawn

Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!

I would hazard a guess that if you're truly feeling wrecked before you even start each session... there might be something else you need to address in your life.

Other than that scenario, it's purely down to preference, much as with other drugs on offer in the world. Because, yeah, what I mostly see in PWOs is a whole lot of caffeine, mixed with a fair whack of bullshit.

I've never used a PWO, admittedly, but in my opinion, you'd be better off not taking one if you can get away with it. The body adapts, to any drug, at any dosage... within reason. So, you have a coffee pre-workout? Your body will, in time, come to "expect" that - it becomes the new baseline, and you'll probably feel a bit crap training without it.

Same goes - only more so - for PWOs, which tend to have much higher caffeine levels.

To each his or her own though, in the end. Like I said: preference.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite member

"Are pre-workout supplements necessary?"

No.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
BravenFenix
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
BravenFenix is a master memberBravenFenix is a master memberBravenFenix is a master memberBravenFenix is a master memberBravenFenix is a master memberBravenFenix is a master memberBravenFenix is a master memberBravenFenix is a master memberBravenFenix is a master memberBravenFenix is a master memberBravenFenix is a master member

Very helpful when used wisely. For several months I had caffeine on days I would squat/deadlift (2x/week total). Ultimately, I decided to stick to it and I like it. If you have a particularly hard session and it does not effect sleep I would take it. Mind you it was around 200mg which is about 1/2 to 1/3 of what is in normal preworkouts which have a lot of other things. Less is more. So lower dose and frequency means it will effect you more and positively when you take it. It helps to cut any other sources of caffeine or limit them (dark chocolate, coffee, tea). In terms of things other than caffeine I have not tried them.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bravenfit/
Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forum/show...d=1#post566261
BravenFenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I pop a caffeine pill before I train. Cheap and effective. I laugh at people who spend $65 on a little tub of powder with some cutesy hardcore name on the side.

For the record, I usually take it literally minutes before I train. I don't need it to get me going, I need it to kick in later on during the session when I'm getting wiped out.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote