Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Vitamin supplementation: Whole food vs Synthetic?

I've been looking into and have recently done quite a bit of research on vitamins and vitamin suplememntation.

I thought It'd be interesting to see what you guys thought.

One of the more interesting topics I came across on my travels around the web, was whole food vitamins and vitamin supplements.

Whole food vitamins\suplements -
Vitamins from whole food sources or whole food vitamin suplements.

Synthetic vitamin suplements -
Essentially 'man made' vitamins derived in a laboratory.

While both forms of vitamins contain the same chemical structure, they don't give you the same benefits.
There's allot of science that goes with this that's interesting, but to avoid boring those that either already know or don't want to know, the conclusion is this.

While the same chemically, synthetic 'versions' of that vitamin often aren't really the real thing.
Take the synthetic form of Vitamin C for example.
The synthetic form of vitamin C is 'absorbic acid', which is actually the protective outer ring of the entire vitamin C complex, and so isn't actually vitamin C at all.

What happens is, upon consuming the synthetic vitamin C (which is most of the tablets you'll see around unless stated otherwise)
Your body has to then find the rest of the vitamin C complex from other sources, as the absorbic acid is only the outer shell.

When it doesn't find the rest of the components, the tablet just passes through your system offering you no nutritional benifit.

What's more, is that synthetic vitamins aren't good for you either, and can actually do you harm.
Different ones can cause harm to different areas of your body, but taking synthetic vitamin C as an example again, heavy 'absorbic acid' consumption has been shown to thicken the artery walls by 2.5x, creating a larger risk of heart disease.
Synthetic vitamin A has links with higher risk of cancer, while whole food vitamin A has actually been shown to prevent it to some degree.

There's also the factor of stress on the kidneys to process all.
The lack of absorption stresses the kidneys allot.

So from what I've been reading it's clear that natural suplements are the way to go, providing this is all true.
The whole point of having a supliment, though, is obviously to 'suplement' those with your normal diet - the sentiment being that you're not getting enough from your normal food, which might be the case for me and more so for an athlete as we all are here, it seems.
Vitamins in our vegetables have dropped in numbers over the last decade, and since the fifties have supposedly dropped considerably.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this.

I had a quick browse on the BodyBuliding.com store (I'd assume they were where allot of lifters would be buying suplements from) and they give you a run down of the compounds in each vitamin for whatever product.
Looking at vitamin C as an example again, many just contained the absorbic acid, and others contained that and maybe one other compound.
Meaning you'd literally be throwing your money down the drain if these study's are correct.

I'm in the camp that a multivitamin can be an important part of a lifters nutrition, however, if the majority of vit suplements contain little to no nutritional value, AND they can actually cause harm, it's not a great situation.
Buying whole food vitamins might be doable for me, but what about families?
To have enough multivitamin tablets for the family from whole food sources you're talking allot of money.

Anyway, just thought it'd be interesting to see what others thought.
Maybe I'm wrong about all this and you know more than I do.

Cheers

- LG

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 04-20-2015 at 03:43 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Instead of a multi, I supplement with a product made by bees:

Bee pollen, royal jelly, and bee propolis. I buy it mixed into raw honey which keeps it stable. Easily digested as well.

I have blood tests taken monthly (standing order due to my conditions) which prove my levels of nutrients are all up to perfect levels) among other things.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs/500X5
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Instead of a multi, I supplement with a product made by bees:

Bee pollen, royal jelly, and bee propolis. I buy it mixed into raw honey which keeps it stable. Easily digested as well.

I have blood tests taken monthly (standing order due to my conditions) which prove my levels of nutrients are all up to perfect levels) among other things.
That's interesting you should say that, Jim.
I've seen you mention similar things before here on the forum, but I didn't realise the extent of goodness that can come from bee products.

I'll certainly look into that - we actually keep bees as well!

Thanks

- LG
Old 04-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
That's interesting you should say that, Jim.
I've seen you mention similar things before here on the forum, but I didn't realise the extent of goodness that can come from bee products.

I'll certainly look into that - we actually keep bees as well!

Thanks

- LG
I think you will discover bee products are way more nutritious than any multi. I have read and been told that Bee Pollen is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet - especially the New Zealand variety. No multi even comes close to it. It's also readily absorbed by the body.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs/500X5
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I think you will discover bee products are way more nutritious than any multi. I have read and been told that Bee Pollen is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet - especially the New Zealand variety. No multi even comes close to it. It's also readily absorbed by the body.
Just done a bit of research.
It seems as though the pollen is nature's multi-vit, and is definitely one of the most nutritious foods you can consume, as you described.

How much do you take?

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 04-21-2015 at 09:20 AM.