Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
clubmanager
New Brawn
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
clubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality posts
Default Over 50, 30% fat and trying to drop

I am eating better and leaner and have lost a few pounds but am hungry almost all the time. What recommendations do you have to eat lean but feel full?

For lunch, I will eat a HUGE salad with turkey on it and still feel hungry!
Until recently, I didn't eat loads of food and generally eat well but now that I'm lifting again, I'm starving constantly.

Since I'm over 50, I'm afraid the info I seek may not be easy to find on my own. Everything seems to be geared to those in their 20's and 30's.

Thanks in advance!
clubmanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

You might think about upping your calorie intake just a bit. You might also think about switching to a low carb diet or maybe try carb cycling. Protein and fat make you feel full longer. I've cut out almost all simple carbs and most other carbs from my diet and have lost around 20lbs in the past 3 months or so (I'll be 34 next week). But salads burn right through me just like your turkey salad did with you so it's not just you.

I also find that I'm hungrier less by eating small meals throughout the day as opposed to 3 large ones.

Good luck!

My training log: Twice a Week, Twice the Recovery!
BJJ in Moldova: Pride Moldova BJJ

Facebook link
BobbyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I think the likely culprit is food addictions. Many times people think they are eating right for their body, but they are not - just like people often think they are lifting right but are not. It takes a long time to learn how to eat for you, just like it takes along time to learn how to lift.

This is what I eat on a typical day. It's taken me a good 10 years to learn how to eat.

Breakfast:
Greens Supplement, a few berries, grilled chicken, and an egg(s)

AM Snack:
Protein shake with CLA and 1 tspn of royal jelly mixed in raw honey with bee pollen.

Lunch:
Always leftovers from the night before (you must containerize), piece of fruit (usually fresh pineapple), acai, and avocado

PM Snack:
Piece of fruit (usually an apple), and 1 tspn of royal jelly mixed with honey and bee pollen

Dinner:
Fresh meat of some kind, veggies (usually Kale), and sweet potatoes or brown sprouted rice with Quinoa.

No multivitamin required. I am over 50 and have medically proven test results this works, for me anyway.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Biggraygrizzly
Brawn
Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributor

You may want to try eating some healthy fats to help with the hunger, and if you just started your new eating habits you are in a adjustment period. Foods like avocados, nuts
coconut oil, natural peanut butter,along with protein, these foods will keep fuller longer.
Every time you eat you should have a Protein, carbohydrate, fat, this will also keep your glucose(blood sugar) even longer so no "roller coaster effects" when you get hungry. and you can double you vegetable as well, and try to eat your complex carbs earlier in the day and eat simple carbs like fruit in the latter part of the day. I hope this helps.
Biggraygrizzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Biggraygrizzly
Brawn
Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubmanager View Post
I am eating better and leaner and have lost a few pounds but am hungry almost all the time. What recommendations do you have to eat lean but feel full?

For lunch, I will eat a HUGE salad with turkey on it and still feel hungry!
Until recently, I didn't eat loads of food and generally eat well but now that I'm lifting again, I'm starving constantly.

Since I'm over 50, I'm afraid the info I seek may not be easy to find on my own. Everything seems to be geared to those in their 20's and 30's.

Thanks in advance!
I have some more to add
your biggest meals should be at breakfast and after you train and they should have protein carbs, fat, and as I mentioned earlier complex carbs earlier in the day, and you also may want to carb cycle as well.
Biggraygrizzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #6
clubmanager
New Brawn
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
clubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality postsclubmanager has made some quality posts

Thanks a bunch guys! I will let you know how it goes.
clubmanager is offline   Reply With Quote