Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default This is why vegans can shut up.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/deenashanker...ons-of-protein

OMG, 18g of protein? Whatever will I do with all the muscle I'll build?

Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Whoever wrote this likes to take it deep in the ass

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
fyremn
New Brawn
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
fyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good posts

How many poor defenseless vegetables died for those meals???
fyremn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beast

some of those meals look very tasty. But I'd prefer them with meat.

In one of Blaha's videos he states that you can build muscle on 100g of incomplete protein sources
Old 07-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
bigalfry
Max Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machine

When someone calls 20g/serving high protein:
Deadlift 425
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Agreed that the meals look tasty. Disagree that 20g EVER counts as high protein. It also doesn't mean shit if they don't offer a comparison between the protein and CARBS. Each of those dishes are chock full of carbs, even if most of them are good carbs.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Indeed - and just because someone is vegan doesn't mean they are healthy or eating healthy. There was a time when most people thought anything gluten free was good for you, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Some of the gluten free stuff out there is horrible for you - especially many of the breads.

There are a couple of varieties of plant out there that are complete proteins. (forget which ones without googling) but they are expensive. I also use a vegan protein shake, as I am not allowed dairy, but it has a decent 28 grams of protein per serving and complete plant proteins. Its expensive, but I have no choice.. The one I use actually would rival most wheys for taste and mixability.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Indeed - and just because someone is vegan doesn't mean they are healthy or eating healthy. There was a time when most people thought anything gluten free was good for you, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Some of the gluten free stuff out there is horrible for you - especially many of the breads.

There are a couple of varieties of plant out there that are complete proteins. (forget which ones without googling) but they are expensive. I also use a vegan protein shake, as I am not allowed dairy, but it has a decent 28 grams of protein per serving and complete plant proteins. Its expensive, but I have no choice.. The one I use actually would rival most wheys for taste and mixability.
That's why I get my protein from truenutrition.com. My protein blend has Gemma pea protein, rice protein, whey and milk proteins and some other ones I can't remember at the moment. The veggie proteins taste crappy on their own and are expensive, but mixing them with more creamy dairy proteins makes them taste just fine. The website has like 20 something different proteins you can choose from to make a custom blend, and it's actually reasonably priced.

Yeah, gluten free is just like fat free. If they're taking something out, they have to replace it with something, and that something is usually synthetic crap.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
JTM811
Brawn
Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributor

I'll second the notion that just because you are a vegan doesn't mean you're healthy and or eating right.

I remember when my daughter in either her first or second year in college, went through the "I'm a vegan" crap, as well as a few other liberal tendencies. She told her mother and I how she couldn't bear to eat animals and how it was cruel for me to hunt them etc, and began to explain to me some bullsh*t about how people are naturally/biologically vegan. I then reminded her that through evolution, man from apes etc, that we are not evolved to be vegan. Apes are omnivorous and will eat plants, animals, and carrion depending on what's available at the time. We aren't that much different than apes biologically speaking.

Anyhow she started having problems with anemia, guess from what?! Low amounts of Iron, usually derived up to that point from meat intake. So she's been back on the meat thing for a few years, and she'll try to get her meat free ranged if she can. Idealists lol!
JTM811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
bigalfry
Max Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM811 View Post
I'll second the notion that just because you are a vegan doesn't mean you're healthy and or eating right.
People always have this ideological view of being vegan and that somehow not eating animals or animal products makes it so healthy for you. Even though vegan foods include things like Oreos.

Along a similar note I used to know a guy who decided to be a vegetarian but he didn't like vegetables. He probably got about half of his calories from Doritos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM811 View Post
Anyhow she started having problems with anemia, guess from what?! Low amounts of Iron, usually derived up to that point from meat intake.
Seems to be somewhat common from what I've heard. People hear about it and jump into it without really knowing what they are doing. The average person has no concept of how the human body functions. I don't pretend to know everything but before I make a massive change to my diet or lifestyle I research it at least a little first.

It always gets me a little pissed off when I hear about people who don't want to eat meat purely by choice. I had a friend in high school who was born with PKU. It's a rare condition where his body is unable to process the amino acid Phenylalanine. That means any meat, dairy, beans, tofu could be lethal to him. Phenylalanine is also in aspartame so nothing sugar free. He understood diet more than anyone I've ever known because he spent his whole life living in a world where the most common of foods could kill him. I remember going out to eat with him, he'd have to watch the fast food employees like a hawk because sometimes they screw up and pour you a diet coke when you asked for regular which could be lethal to him. Anyway, a particularly sad moment was when I was at his house and he was all excited because he found a bag of roast chicken flavored potato chips. He ate a few, offered us some and asked us, "is this what chicken tastes like?". And that's when it sunk in for me what him having PKU meant. This guy had never in his entire life tasted meat. He's never had a burger, never had a chicken wing, not even a glass of milk. He knew bacon as the greatest smell in the world but could never have the chance to taste it.
It just makes me appreciate the fact that I am free to eat anything I want and I hold a certain disdain for those who put themselves up on a pedestal and expect all this admiration and praise for not eating animals for a year when I've got a friend who has been successfully maintaining an even more restrictive diet for close to 30 years and nobody bats an eye.

Of course I'm only talking about the vegans/vegetarians who can't shut up about it. I'm sure there's a whole lot of perfectly normal people who are vegetarian/vegan who aren't complete dicks about it and I have no problem with them.
Deadlift 425
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote