Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Edz71
Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2 Points: 122, Level: 2
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Volume
Fav Exercise: Press behind the neck
Fav Supp: Universal Nutrition BCAA
Edz71 is off to a good startEdz71 is off to a good startEdz71 is off to a good startEdz71 is off to a good startEdz71 is off to a good start
Default Intra-workout carbs

Hello and good evening,,

I have been thinking of adding carbs to my BCAA's during my workout and haven't seen any negative research articles on-line. I haven't found any clear information on the subject in regards to someone who's dieting down using a traditional BB diet cycling carbs every 5 days.
Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated thanks

Edz
Edz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I've used intra carbs in the past when I was training for 2-2.5 hours per session. I'd throw a few granola bars in my bag and gnaw on them between sets. I found it really helped my energy when I got to that 2 hour point.

I'd say give it a try, but only if you feel like you're losing your energy before you're done with what you want to do in the gym.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
Greg B.
Brawn
Points: 1,462, Level: 21 Points: 1,462, Level: 21 Points: 1,462, Level: 21
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell rows
Greg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good posts

I like the feeling that added carbs give me during my training. I personally use 1/2 scoop of strawberry Karbolyn prework and 1/2 scoop mixed in my bcaas to sip intra. Great energy and also good fullness to my muscles and really not all that much carbs to worry about if cycling. It gets burned off during training anyway.

Main Website: http://www.aaefx.com/
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/allamericanefx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @allamericanefx
Instagram: @aaefx

*My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own*
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Epinephrine
Brawn
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

You could always snack on some dried fruit of some sort. I've seen competitive physique athletes do that at my gym before.

You probably won't really need them unless you're training for a really long time like Soldier stated. It can't hurt, though.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Edz71

Edz71 is off to a good startEdz71 is off to a good startEdz71 is off to a good startEdz71 is off to a good startEdz71 is off to a good start

Thank you guys ,, I normally train for 1.5 hours full upper body session day followed by lower body session. I'm hesitant to try it because I was very over weight at 235 pounds and now being 168 and happily moving along I don't want to screw it up. From what I have been reading I like the potential of the extra energy and fullness during the training, I just don't know what base line to start at ,... 20g ,, 30g ??
Guess I'll start low and log it for two weeks.

Thanks again,, Edz
Old 06-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,123, Level: 18 Points: 1,123, Level: 18 Points: 1,123, Level: 18
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: Since 1973 (with breaks)
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Organic, natural foods
GZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributor

If you're working out for 1.5 hours, it is doubtful that consuming carbs during a workout will do you any good. By the time they are digested, you’ll be done lifting. It is only those who exercise for several hours (like marathon runners or triathletes), that need to consume carbs during a workout. And if you’re trying to lose weight, then you’ll be consuming extra calories for no reason.

But if you’re going to try it, make it something easy to digest. Someone mentioned dried fruit; that would be good, or some kind of liquid nutrition. A while back, I tried adding maltodextrin to my workout water, but it just made me upset in the stomach, with no benefit.
GZeolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Edz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZeolla View Post
If you're working out for 1.5 hours, it is doubtful that consuming carbs during a workout will do you any good. By the time they are digested, you’ll be done lifting. It is only those who exercise for several hours (like marathon runners or triathletes), that need to consume carbs during a workout. And if you’re trying to lose weight, then you’ll be consuming extra calories for no reason.

But if you’re going to try it, make it something easy to digest. Someone mentioned dried fruit; that would be good, or some kind of liquid nutrition. A while back, I tried adding maltodextrin to my workout water, but it just made me upset in the stomach, with no benefit.
Thank You GZeolla ,,

I have been reading a lot on the topic and asked a one of the nutritional reps at the health food store for her advice. She basically said that even though I am cycling my carbs and that my breakfast is protein and fat the best carb to drink in the gym with my BCAA"s is a waxy maize. Her explanation was pretty simple in that it passes through the gut very quick and will definitely help with energy and it will help draw the nutrients into the muscle. She did also mention I should get a decent pump and mentioned that its important for your blood glucose levels remain stable for your entire workout so your body stays out of fat storing mode.

I'll give it a go tomorrow with 20g added to my BCAA's, should be entertaining its leg day !!!

Edz