Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Meat, Fruit & Veggies

I've been doing a lot of reading lately on forms of dieting that avoid starches and sugars. I am currently reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories." At the core of most of these books is the belief that lean meat, fruits and veggies (and nuts, possibly cheese) is a superior diet for losing fat. And more then that, this diet is more of a lifestyle, allowing you to eat freely during the day.

And as some of you know, C&P runs a modified version of this diet and is lean and muscular.

I have started integrating this dieting style, and may switch over completely. I am wondering what your general thoughts are on this form of eating for gaining muscle. It goes against convention bodybuilding wisdom.

Do you believe this form of eating is viable for gaining muscle for the Average Joe, even if it's very difficult to eat in calorie surplus?

I'm not aiming this at myself - for I have little to no muscle left to gain unless I jump to AAS. I'm asking in general.

It's very hard to "eat too much" with this lifestyle. Do you believe that the Average Schmoe could gain muscle on a Paleo-style lifestyle?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading lately on forms of dieting that avoid starches and sugars. I am currently reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories." At the core of most of these books is the belief that lean meat, fruits and veggies (and nuts, possibly cheese) is a superior diet for losing fat. And more then that, this diet is more of a lifestyle, allowing you to eat freely during the day.

And as some of you know, C&P runs a modified version of this diet and is lean and muscular.

I have started integrating this dieting style, and may switch over completely. I am wondering what your general thoughts are on this form of eating for gaining muscle. It goes against convention bodybuilding wisdom.

Do you believe this form of eating is viable for gaining muscle for the Average Joe, even if it's very difficult to eat in calorie surplus?

I'm not aiming this at myself - for I have little to no muscle left to gain unless I jump to AAS. I'm asking in general.

It's very hard to "eat too much" with this lifestyle. Do you believe that the Average Schmoe could gain muscle on a Paleo-style lifestyle?

Absolutely, yes!!! In fact it may be the best BB style diet there is. It keeps your metabolism in a much more balanced state. It's the difference between nutrient dense food, and calorie dense food.

Grains are nothing more than filler foods. Grains fill the empty space but do not offer the sustenance that meat, fruit, and veggies do.

The down side to this style of diet is the cost. You need to shop carefully, and make smart choices with what you purchase. It's easy to fill up on crap food. They call it junk food for a reason.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
BigFiveFive
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

Uhhmmm....I didnt know there was any "other" way to eat.

Its always been lean meats, steamed veggies, and fresh fruit. I also drink 2 cups of skim milk 3 times a day with my main meals.

Im pretty lean, I could be leaner yes, but Im also extremely muscular.
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFiveFive View Post
Uhhmmm....I didnt know there was any "other" way to eat.

Its always been lean meats, steamed veggies, and fresh fruit. I also drink 2 cups of skim milk 3 times a day with my main meals.

Im pretty lean, I could be leaner yes, but Im also extremely muscular.
I assume you ate this way primarily when putting on most of your muscle?

And I believe you're the exception. I would wager that a very small portion of bodybuilders eat more Paleo-style without any carbs.

I'm also wondering how a underweight, 5'10" 130 pound guy would fair with this approach. Do you guys believe he would gain muscle, or would the (most likely) caloric deficit be detrimental?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
The down side to this style of diet is the cost. You need to shop carefully, and make smart choices with what you purchase. It's easy to fill up on crap food. They call it junk food for a reason.
So how do you feel on loosening the tight restriction on lean meat to make it more cost effective? I'm not saying shovel meat fat, but rather purchasing fattier cuts of meat to save money...

Do you believe this style of eating still holds its merit?

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-15-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:

And I believe you're the exception. I would wager that a very small portion of bodybuilders eat more Paleo-style without any carbs.

I'm also wondering how a underweight, 5'10" 130 pound guy would fair with this approach. Do you guys believe he would gain muscle, or would the (most likely) caloric deficit be detrimental?

So how do you feel on loosening the tight restriction on lean meat to make it more cost effective? I'm not saying shovel meat fat, but rather purchasing fattier cuts of meat to save money...

Do you believe this style of eating still holds its merit?
Yes, definately.

You can trim the meat yourself, as well as the method of cooking can reduce how much fat you actually consume. You just need ot shop smarter, and be educated on how to prepare your food.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

It would allow for alot of lean gains, when i was trying to gain i would always ramp my fat intake to crazy high levels, because it is a huge part of hormone production, also recently even though i have been eating less than normal, a bit under maintenance, i have noticed some muscle gains, as long as you keep your lifting progressive, you will get bigger
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

One aspect of the Paleo is that there is a restriction on eggs. I'm not sure if C&P goes for eggs, but man I can eat me some eggies. Pass the hot sauce and onions.

What do you guys think about eggs in this lifestyle/approach?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
BigFiveFive
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

Quote:

Yes I did, I said F calorie counting and ate lean meat, veggies, and fruit. I honestly can remember watching my carbs, but I still ate a large serving of them everytime I gorged. And when I sat down and ate, I ATE, and then I ate some MORE, and then once again ATE lol. I can remember eating until I thought I was going to puke. Thats how I did it.

Im working with a subject right now, about 6'0, 170lbs, tall and lean. Looks like he has potential, and his brother and dad are bigger built guys. Im gunna try and throw on 12-16lbs of muscle on him in 3 months.

Quote:
One aspect of the Paleo is that there is a
restriction on eggs. I'm not sure if C&P goes for eggs, but man I can eat me some eggies. Pass the hot sauce and onions.

What do you guys think about eggs in this lifestyle/approach?
I eat the shit outta eggs man, and Ive got my experiment doing the same thing. I think eggs are great for getting big.
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFiveFive View Post
Im working with a subject right now, about 6'0, 170lbs, tall and lean. Looks like he has potential, and his brother and dad are bigger built guys. Im gunna try and throw on 12-16lbs of muscle on him in 3 months.

I eat the shit outta eggs man, and Ive got my experiment doing the same thing. I think eggs are great for getting big.
I think you can add 15 on these guys in 3 months. I had a trainer give me shit last month about the possibility of a newb gaining 5 pounds of muscle the first 2 weeks. I think it can be done if he eats and trains right. The trainer said he'd been training guys for 15 years and no one had ever gained that much.

Anyway, not to derail this thread....but it's all about the eating. You did right eating like a fool. Maximize newb gains. That's what I did in college and I was one swole mofo. It was magic or voodoo. You remind me a lot of myself at your age.

I agree with you on eggs. I would hate to put them aside.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
glwanabe
Max Brawn

eggs are a perfect food. I eat a lot of eggs.