Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
eggs are a perfect food. I eat a lot of eggs.
Will you buy me some eggs?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I've got a roasting pan full of short ribs braising right now. Come on over for dinner.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #13
MattB
Brawn
Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

MattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributor

I think this diet would be benficial for the average joe that doesnt want to really count macronuitrients or calories. However IMO just because you are eating fruits and veggies as your carb source will not lead to leaner gains. For the most part it is the overall carbohydrates and calories for the day and week. As long as enough fiber is taken in from the carbohydrates and they are not all sugar(I like a 1:4 ratio of sugar in the carb source) it doesnt matter. 150 calories from fruit is still 150 calories from whole grains. Also what about fructose not being all that efficent at restoring glycogen levels? I would much rather something else taken or added pre/post workout. I am not down playing the importance of fruits and veggies in the diet at all!

Last edited by MattB; 01-16-2010 at 12:29 AM.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
MattB
Brawn

MattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
So how do you feel on loosening the tight restriction on lean meat to make it more cost effective? I'm not saying shovel meat fat, but rather purchasing fattier cuts of meat to save money...
Steve their is a study that showed you can actually wash the beef with hot water and a strainer that you are cooking and greatly reduce the fat. I will find the study and post it for you, I have it on my laptop somewhere. I have been using this method for probably over a year with great results(Used it during my prep). I just cook my beef, rinse as the directions say, put it back in a pan and add seasoning.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
MattB
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
It would allow for alot of lean gains, when i was trying to gain i would always ramp my fat intake to crazy high levels, because it is a huge part of hormone production, also recently even though i have been eating less than normal, a bit under maintenance, i have noticed some muscle gains, as long as you keep your lifting progressive, you will get bigger
Watch how high you raise you fat intake. Studies have showed that once you get above about 30% of your calories from fat you start to lose the benefit!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Steve their is a study that showed you can actually wash the beef with hot water and a strainer that you are cooking and greatly reduce the fat. I will find the study and post it for you, I have it on my laptop somewhere. I have been using this method for probably over a year with great results(Used it during my prep). I just cook my beef, rinse as the directions say, put it back in a pan and add seasoning.
That sounds interesting. I generally eat mostly ground turkey or beef, and turkey and beef patties, but lean ground beef is really the cost culprit for me. I also eat tilapia, tuna, and chicken, of course, but those foods get somewhat boring for me.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
I think this diet would be benficial for the average joe that doesnt want to really count macronuitrients or calories. However IMO just because you are eating fruits and veggies as your carb source will not lead to leaner gains. For the most part it is the overall carbohydrates and calories for the day and week. As long as enough fiber is taken in from the carbohydrates and they are not all sugar(I like a 1:4 ratio of sugar in the carb source) it doesnt matter. 150 calories from fruit is still 150 calories from whole grains. Also what about fructose not being all that efficent at restoring glycogen levels? I would much rather something else taken or added pre/post workout. I am not down playing the importance of fruits and veggies in the diet at all!
I understand completely your point of view. That's one of the reasons I started this thread - to look at the viability of this diet as a mass builder. I have never tried gaining mass on anything other then a calorie surplus with heavy carbs, but - stubborn as I am - wanted to look at the viability of other possible approaches.

But then I see guys like C&P eating differently, which begs the question that started this thread.

I would like to take some trainees who lifter for a year, have about 15 to 20% bodyfat, and put them on this style of diet for 6 months (with proper training supervision).

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-16-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #18
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

What determines more how much muscle you gain from hard training, is it the diet itself or how many overall calories you take in?

On a higher calorie diet with moderate fat intake, most of the calories would come from protein and carbs.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #19
Naberious
New Brawn
Points: 236, Level: 4 Points: 236, Level: 4 Points: 236, Level: 4

Naberious is off to a bad start

I like (so far anyway) using a hybrid Keto/Paleo diet... The keto allows me to eat higher fat, due to burning fat rather than carbs, but also limits how many carbs you can have a day if you want to stay in Ketosis... (30g carbs/day or so)

It's essentially the same a Paleo diet, just allows you more food options as long as you keep down the carbs.

Ketosis diets are the principles that the Atkins and South Beach diets are based upon. These diets, however, are made for relatively sedentary people who may do some light exercise here and there... However for bodybuilding it's important not to stay in this state indefinitely. Carb "refeeds" are a must...

Here is a good post on the subject, pretty straightforward and easy to understand

CKD - Cyclical Ketogenic Diet

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...p-journey.html
Naberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #20
thumpinos
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naberious View Post
I like (so far anyway) using a hybrid Keto/Paleo diet... The keto allows me to eat higher fat, due to burning fat rather than carbs, but also limits how many carbs you can have a day if you want to stay in Ketosis... (30g carbs/day or so)

It's essentially the same a Paleo diet, just allows you more food options as long as you keep down the carbs.

Ketosis diets are the principles that the Atkins and South Beach diets are based upon. These diets, however, are made for relatively sedentary people who may do some light exercise here and there... However for bodybuilding it's important not to stay in this state indefinitely. Carb "refeeds" are a must...

Here is a good post on the subject, pretty straightforward and easy to understand

CKD - Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
This approach sounds more reasnable to me. I would hate to cut out eggs, cheese and milk and foods like that. I don't eat much of them, but liek BTB said, lean meats are expensive.