Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Consuming way more protein than recommended (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16776)

PABen 04-03-2014 10:17 PM

Consuming way more protein than recommended

-First off, this is my first time posting on this forum, so if more information pertaining to my problem is needed, please ask.

I have been using an app to log my food intake and track my macros.

It is recommended that I consume:
-3,759calories
-202protein
-83fat
and -551carbs

per day.

So far, I have logged about 7 meals (most super shakes and after workout protein drinks. I only have logged breakfast so far)

Now, apparently, I am OVER my Protein and Fat intake (around 126grams of Protein and 19grams of fat) but still have about 305 calories to go.. I still need to log lunch and dinner..

My question is, is it OK to over-consume Protein? I mean over 100 grams of it? I'm looking online but can't find anyone with a similar problem in regards to needing more calories.

Goal: Gain muscle
my stats:
-male
-191lbs
-5'11"

For any help, I appreciate it.

Kels 04-03-2014 10:49 PM

Did you set your own macro split in the app or did it set it for you?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

bamazav 04-04-2014 08:02 AM

Define over consume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soldier 04-04-2014 08:25 AM

I'm confused by your numbers as well. How many total grams of protein are you getting in a day?

Bdub 04-04-2014 08:57 AM

So you over shot one day of protein intake by around 126g correct? No I don't believe it will hurt anything but obviously you need to plan your meals out a little better. What I find works great for me is I plan my meals out the day before in myfitnesspal so I know what I need to do. If something comes up and I can't make something happen I just try to adjust best I can but its no big deal if I am a little off it won't make that much difference for my goals.
From first glance tho it appears you are consuming too much whey protein shakes than you really need to start with.

bruteforce 04-04-2014 09:14 AM

I take in around 250g of protein a day. I have minor kidney damage from an auto-immune disease from my childhood, but the high protein intake is not affecting their function. This is only one person and not a full study, but I can say for me, it is far better to get too much protein than too many carbs.

moeheep 04-04-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 469924)
I take in around 250g of protein a day. I have minor kidney damage from an auto-immune disease from my childhood, but the high protein intake is not affecting their function. This is only one person and not a full study, but I can say for me, it is far better to get too much protein than too many carbs.

I agree with Big Brute on this 100%

Kleurplaay 04-04-2014 09:47 AM

I have never seen any credible source implying that high protein intake is damaging.

BendtheBar 04-04-2014 10:17 AM

I've edited probably a dozen articles on protein intake. This articles have contained all the major studies. I've never seen evidence that eating more protein is an issue for anyone other than those with existing kidney issues.

Moreover, the industry tends to push that you should never eat more than 180-200 grams of protein, but eating 500-600 grams of carbs per day is good.

I, for one, do not think there should be this large of a disparity between proteins and carbs. I'd rather see you eat more protein.

chiroman 04-04-2014 10:38 AM

I agree with the protein intake being skewed downward in popular culture.

Really don't know where these numbers come from. The only issue with high protein diets is acidity. If maintained for long periods of time bad news and very unproductive ( experience!). 500 carbs is good as long as that is vegetables. That's going to be your balance against acidosis. And GOOD FATS. Medium chain and long chain both. Fish oil, avocado, seeds and nuts, as well as SOME animal fats. I had a MD tell me once 100 grams of protein is more than enough to grow muscle. I'm 6'3 230. 100 gram of protein ain't cutting it. So main stream info, General MD, news, people magazine, etc.. not a good source for proper nutrition.