Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #1
2013SierraSam
Brawn
Points: 933, Level: 16 Points: 933, Level: 16 Points: 933, Level: 16
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Tricep Pushdown
Fav Supp: Protein and Dr. Jekyll
2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts
Default Bulk or Cut

Fellas,

I'm 19, weigh in at around 145-150 and my BF% is around 9%. I want to get more defined, but don't want to lose weight... I also want to continue working towards being a damn tank, though. I don't know what to do...or if I'd be happier with cutting and working towards being more chiseled (beach season is around the corner ) or if I'd be happier trying to get more calories and protein in my diet and bulk to build a large amount of muscle. I usually try to get 2000 calories a day because I don't have much of an appetite and I get around 100g of protein a day. My abdominal muscles are visible, but not chiseled. Honestly, I'd rather have more muscle than abs. I'm over the teenage stage where all I wanted was abs to show off; a big torso is more impressive to me anyways. Let me know what you guys think would be the best approach. And I'm not looking for criticism, just help.

Sam
2013SierraSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
IrishHitman
Max Brawn
Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

Firstly, try getting 150-200g of protein a day (1g+ per pound of be), and then eat sensibly for everything else. Be sure you eat a lot of veggies and fruit and oatmeal because the extra protein can block you up a bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013SierraSam View Post
Fellas,

I'm 19, weigh in at around 145-150 and my BF% is around 9%. I want to get more defined, but don't want to lose weight... I also want to continue working towards being a damn tank, though. I don't know what to do...or if I'd be happier with cutting and working towards being more chiseled (beach season is around the corner ) or if I'd be happier trying to get more calories and protein in my diet and bulk to build a large amount of muscle. I usually try to get 2000 calories a day because I don't have much of an appetite and I get around 100g of protein a day. My abdominal muscles are visible, but not chiseled. Honestly, I'd rather have more muscle than abs. I'm over the teenage stage where all I wanted was abs to show off; a big torso is more impressive to me anyways. Let me know what you guys think would be the best approach. And I'm not looking for criticism, just help.

Sam
Ok, I wrote out my typical sarcastic response, then erased it because I want to be supportive.

You're underweight, you're undereating, you're small and weak, and it's time to change things. The good news is, we know how to help.

What are your goals? Being a damn tank could mean a number of things, and the best approach will be determined by knowing exactly where you are and exactly where you want to be.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

1.Pick a routine that emphasizes compound movements and work on progressively getting stronger on those movements.
2.Eat enough to allow you to get stronger. If your not getting stronger then eat and rest more.
3.If your getting stronger but putting on too much bodyfat then eat less.
-If you eat less and get stronger then stay the course.
-If you eat less and get weaker then decide if progress in the gym is more or less important than putting on some extra bodyfat that you can get rid of at a later date.

Thats all you need.

Last edited by miked96; 02-28-2014 at 02:23 PM.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
1.Pick a routine that emphasizes compound movements and work on progressively getting stronger on those movements.
2.Eat enough to allow you to get stronger. If your not getting stronger then eat and rest more.
3.If your getting stronger but putting on to much bodyfat then eat less.
-If you eat less and get stronger then stay the course.
-If you eat less and get weaker then decide if progress in the gym is more or less important than putting on some extra bodyfat that you can get rid of at a later date.

Thats all you need.
We can re hash the subject, a thousand different ways but it really all boils down to this.... excellent advice.

Eat Lift Sleep Repeat - Adjust as required.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

this is MaB, we don't really "bulk or cut" around here

We get stronger. That seems to take care of everything else.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
MadScientistOfMaB
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Squat, push-press
Fav Supp: Mr. Hyde & whiskey
MadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributor

Disclaimer: This is from the perspective of a guy who only thinks cutting is useful if you can't afford to buy new clothes and are just making room to bulk again.

If you are a 19 yr old male and weigh 150 lbs then bulk like there is no tomorrow unless you are around 5'4". I think what you are calling cut is actually skinny. My little brother was the same way. He started squatting, deadlifting, and benching with a good bulking diet and put on almost 30 lbs. He lost a little ab definition but added arm size and definition everywhere else. This is because even after adding a little body fat the muscle he got from the extra calories could still be seen. Sure he can't wear size 28 jeans anymore but he can lift his girlfriend over his head.
Experimentation is the word of the day here, and you're going to be like a mad scientist, tinkering with your diet until you've turned yourself into a massive, world-destroying robot bent on nothing short of the subjugation and destruction of the entire human race.
-Jamie Lewis (Chaos&Pain)

Nothing exceeds like excess.

HT: 5'10" WT: 220
Deadlift 455 Squat 405
Bench 355 Push-press 275
MadScientistOfMaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
2013SierraSam
Brawn
Points: 933, Level: 16 Points: 933, Level: 16 Points: 933, Level: 16

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Tricep Pushdown
Fav Supp: Protein and Dr. Jekyll
2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts2013SierraSam has made some good posts

Thanks for the helpful advice, guys. When I say a "damn tank", I mean I'm tired of being the little guy. Ever since elementary I've been the smallest kid in my group of buddies and I'd like to be bigger so I can make up for my height. 5'9" may not seem short to some, but it is. Now... Don't peg me as a pipsqueak who has no muscle mass or definition. I definitely have decent muscle mass..regardless of my listed weight. It's just how I'm built and a fast metabolism that I can't seem to keep up with. I have "okay" arms and chest, but to me they are scrawny. Friends, family, and my fiancé will tell me I look strong and great. While I may look like that to them, I do not to myself. I'm sure you ALL know how this feels to be a bodybuilder and 9 times out of 10 you see something completely negative in the mirror when in reality you look pretty good. I'd like to be at the point where even myself knows that I'm strong as f***, I look strong as f*** and can kick some ass if I need to. Alright this is turning into some long story but you guys get the picture.

I workout Monday-Satuday. I drink 1-2 protein shakes a day (50g of protein per shake) and my meals consist of fish, chicken, brown rice, and greens. I'll snack on edamame peas instead of chips or something of that matter, or I'll get some almonds. Not sure if you guys knew this, but edamame is 8g of protein per serving which is pretty good for a quick handful of dried peas. To @JDMalm, I totally agree. I'd rather not be skinny with a defined six pack. That is why I'm aiming to build more rock hard, juicy, outstanding, muscly, female drool inducing, swollen muscles.

I look forward to more advice. I'd rather not go to bodybuilding.com as it is just hundreds of thousands of assholes hiding behind keyboards talking shit to make themselves feel better. Peace.

-Sam
2013SierraSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013SierraSam View Post
Thanks for the helpful advice, guys. When I say a "damn tank", I mean I'm tired of being the little guy. Ever since elementary I've been the smallest kid in my group of buddies and I'd like to be bigger so I can make up for my height. 5'9" may not seem short to some, but it is. Now... Don't peg me as a pipsqueak who has no muscle mass or definition. I definitely have decent muscle mass..regardless of my listed weight. It's just how I'm built and a fast metabolism that I can't seem to keep up with. I have "okay" arms and chest, but to me they are scrawny. Friends, family, and my fiancé will tell me I look strong and great. While I may look like that to them, I do not to myself. I'm sure you ALL know how this feels to be a bodybuilder and 9 times out of 10 you see something completely negative in the mirror when in reality you look pretty good. I'd like to be at the point where even myself knows that I'm strong as f***, I look strong as f*** and can kick some ass if I need to. Alright this is turning into some long story but you guys get the picture.

I workout Monday-Satuday. I drink 1-2 protein shakes a day (50g of protein per shake) and my meals consist of fish, chicken, brown rice, and greens. I'll snack on edamame peas instead of chips or something of that matter, or I'll get some almonds. Not sure if you guys knew this, but edamame is 8g of protein per serving which is pretty good for a quick handful of dried peas. To @JDMalm, I totally agree. I'd rather not be skinny with a defined six pack. That is why I'm aiming to build more rock hard, juicy, outstanding, muscly, female drool inducing, swollen muscles.

I look forward to more advice. I'd rather not go to bodybuilding.com as it is just hundreds of thousands of assholes hiding behind keyboards talking shit to make themselves feel better. Peace.

-Sam
Some small niches on BB.com aren't bad, but you're definitely in the right place.

First things first. You need to log your intake. You eat healthy, so it won't be hard to log your intake and see just how many calories you're actually getting. I use myfitnesspal.com to log my intake. It's basically the best place you can go for that sort of thing.

Calories and protein are king. You need 200g of protein a day AT LEAST. I get 240-280, even cutting. After that, you need calories. Healthy food is well and good, but if you can't get enough calories you'll need to supplement with dirty foods and lots of time at the buffet.

So figure out how many calories you're getting now (a few days of logging should be plenty), then come back and let us now your calories, protein, carbs, and fats.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote