Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
ChrisTheViking
Brawn
Points: 1,142, Level: 18 Points: 1,142, Level: 18 Points: 1,142, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Supp: Juggernaut HP
ChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good posts
Default Some help with my new meal plan

I am currently eating 4 of the same meals every day. I don't mind the monotony, in fact, I like it. But I just want to make sure it looks good from an outside perspective before I get too used to it.

3oz baked skinless chicken breast
1 cup brown rice, plain
1 cup salad, iceberg and cucumber w/1 TBSP Olive Oil and a dash of salt
4 times daily

I really feel like I could probably cut it down to three and have two snacks (most likely in the form of a shake) in between. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
ChrisTheViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

What are your goals / current weight/ etc. ?
Two points right off the bat
1 - eating the same thing day after day could lead to nutrient shortages or imbalances and may not be sustainable long term.
2- This is not a lot of food - eat a steak for God's sake!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
ChrisTheViking
Brawn

ChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good postsChrisTheViking has made some good posts

6' 0", 29, 280 lbs. I am trying to lose weight while making sure I have enough food to gain a little mass in the process. I have lost some weight but with school and work coming up I need something I can make a lot of at once and have them ready when needed. I can't just let this 6 Pack Bag go to waste lol.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTheViking View Post
6' 0", 29, 280 lbs. I am trying to lose weight while making sure I have enough food to gain a little mass in the process. I have lost some weight but with school and work coming up I need something I can make a lot of at once and have them ready when needed. I can't just let this 6 Pack Bag go to waste lol.
I am not an expert by any means but it seems that a more sensible approach would be to
1- define your target weight (goal setting)
2- define your maintenance calories based on that weight.
3- work your way down to that eating level over time. (gradual caloric reduction) by reducing your current intake over the course of a few days/ weeks. No drastic reductions.

4- Eat a variety of whole, healthy foods ( with some cheats tossed in) try to eat about 80% clean. Focus on protein and fat (as in eat some) and lots of veggies.

5- start a good strength building plan and toss in two or three cardio sessions per week. ( work stage)

6- Forget the concept of adding mass while cutting ( ain't happening) and think more toward body recomposition .

7-Building muscle and letting the body do what it does - i.e use fat for fuel when working in a deficit.

8 - Continue for at least a year and be happy with the results. ( they will come) ( reward stage)
As to convenience - I suggest cooking a lot of food one day a week and pre packing meals in small containers. Fruit and veggies are portable most times and freeze foods when you can.

Hope that helps. Good luck on reaching your goals.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
JumpmanRugs
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
I am not an expert by any means but it seems that a more sensible approach would be to
1- define your target weight (goal setting)
2- define your maintenance calories based on that weight.
3- work your way down to that eating level over time. (gradual caloric reduction) by reducing your current intake over the course of a few days/ weeks. No drastic reductions.

4- Eat a variety of whole, healthy foods ( with some cheats tossed in) try to eat about 80% clean. Focus on protein and fat (as in eat some) and lots of veggies.

5- start a good strength building plan and toss in two or three cardio sessions per week. ( work stage)

6- Forget the concept of adding mass while cutting ( ain't happening) and think more toward body recomposition .

7-Building muscle and letting the body do what it does - i.e use fat for fuel when working in a deficit.

8 - Continue for at least a year and be happy with the results. ( they will come) ( reward stage)
As to convenience - I suggest cooking a lot of food one day a week and pre packing meals in small containers. Fruit and veggies are portable most times and freeze foods when you can.

Hope that helps. Good luck on reaching your goals.
Couldn't have said it better. THe same shit day in, day out may sound good but it really isn't. It's a great meal don't get me wrong, but every single day 4 times a day? Really?!

1. You'll get bored and not stick to it.
2. It isn't good as you will be missing nutrients
3. You're name is ChrisTheViking, that's pretty badass. I can picture you stood on the end of a boat with a horned helmet on screaming at the world lol (Not related to this, just wanted to say)
4. Mix it up! There are so many good and nutritous foods out there, you are really limiting yourself here.

Good luck man!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Your meal is just under 500 calories with 46g of carbs, 19g of fat, and 31g of protein. If you eat that 4 times a day you'll end up with 2000 calories, 184g of carbs, 76g of fat, and 124g of protein. Each of the 3 things you're eating is basically adding 1 macronutrient to the party. All of your protein is from chicken, all of your carbs are from brown rice, and all of your fats are from olive oil.

The good news is that these are 3 of the best sources for these macros. Unfortunately, it's still very limited. Even the strictest bodybuilding diet will consist of at least 20 different foods. Try your best to find more foods to include in your diet. There are tons of other foods that you can prepare ahead of time and grab when you need it. You just need to do a little leg work to figure out what will work for you.

The other thing to look at is the nutritional values of what you're eating. At your size I think 2000 calories is too low. I'd say something like 2500 calories will be enough to support some lifting and some conditioning work (cardio), while still allowing you to lose consistently. You only want to cut enough calories to keep some fat coming off. Cutting too many will result in metabolic damage that will slow or even stop your fat loss, even if you still have plenty of fat to lose.

Your fat intake of 76g is fine, and so is the 184g of carbs. So this means that the extra calories you need to add will all come from adding PROTEIN to your intake. You need at least 200g of protein a day. AT LEAST. 200g is a STARTING point. Protein will keep you fuller longer, which is good. Protein is also extremely important on a cut to help you keep as much muscle as possible.

Switch out some of your carbs for fibrous carbs. Apples and other more fibrous fruits along with lots of green veggies, as close to raw as possible.

That should get you going in the right direction.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
ChrisTheViking
Brawn

Thanks to both of you, I will start working in some more options and focus on keeping it consistent. I have noticed that since I knocked my intake back to 2000 I have been feeling a little sluggish, so I will look at getting it to around 2500.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

At first you'll stop losing and may even "gain" a little back. If you've been undereating for too long your metabolism will need a bit of a kick in the pants. Just train hard. Lift hard and do some interval type training a few times a week to burn calories. After a couple months if you aren't losing about 1lb a week, drop a few calories, but just enough to lose a little more. This progressive type of cutting is what will keep things moving later on when you've lost a good amount of fat but really want to lean out. That's when you bring in the big dogs like keto, cyclical diets and nutrient timing.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
ChrisTheViking
Brawn

My wife finally got me to start counting my calories a few weeks ago, and the first few days I found that, what I thought was a good amount of calories, was actually around 1400 to 1800 a day, so that's when I took a crack at making my own plan, so hopefully the gaining won't be too bad, but we'll see.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
JP88
New Brawn
Points: 109, Level: 2 Points: 109, Level: 2 Points: 109, Level: 2
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7+
Fav Exercise: Lunges and chest fly's
Fav Supp: Too many to choose from
JP88 is off to a good startJP88 is off to a good startJP88 is off to a good startJP88 is off to a good start

That's honestly a great simple diet. Maybe add some siracha to make it taste better.

I'd add in a vegetable juice smoothie to get all your vitamins/ nutrients in. Just throw a handful of good fruits/ vegetables into a blender and drink it up. I started doing this daily and feel much better.

My gym blog muscleexpand.com and my best rated testosterone boosters.
JP88 is offline   Reply With Quote